aaa world's most expensive free update - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: world's most expensive free update

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             06-Jan-99  @  12:35 PM   -   world's most expensive free update

e.macarthur

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I bought the vst 3.6 upgrade from steinberg on cd because I don't have internet facilites (And am unlikely to have, due to system resource shortage).
Info on this chat page (and experience) showd me that 3.6 was faulty, and I would need to download 3.602.
Question: How does a 7mb file fit on a floopy disk?
In other upgrade situations, steinberg offered a split disk solution. This time they didn't.
My solution: Buy a zip drive (Scsi external in this case), Scsi cable and spend money at a so-called internet cafe doing the download (1 Hour).
Total cost for FREE update: £117 (Plus another £6 for the 3.6 cd which turned out to be useless).
Still, at least the zip drive will be useful for other things (Maybe for storing the increasingly long list of VST bugs?).
Steinberg should show some loyalty to customers who part with cash, by providing automatic updates (using real CDs or floppies with internet updates for those who want them).

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             06-Jan-99  @  03:21 PM   -   RE: world's most expensive free update

rob

Ever heard of WinZip? Or PKZip (if stuck in the DOS world)? Both are available as shareware. With either use a multidisk zip file to break the file up over multiple floppies. That will save buying the ZIP drive.

Message 3/5             06-Jan-99  @  07:20 PM   -   RE: world's most expensive free update

mike_macaluso

Im dissapointed with version 4.0 VST. I love the software but the automation doesnt work properly, constantly crashing. Without automation what do you have....? Common
guys.....please fix this...it it is extremely annoying.

Message 4/5             06-Jan-99  @  10:56 PM   -   RE: world's most expensive free update

sox

Link?:  Link

I had the same problem as e.macarthur with 3.6 but with a site licence (very expensable) and Steinberg offered me the upgrade on a CD for £5.00. You probably should have rung them again about an upgrade on CD and saved £112. At the time I could only find the upgrade (ie. get through the morass of people trying to get it) from Germany and you had to be connected to the 'net as it was a self-install.

I ended up getting the upgrade from the American Steinberg site and burning it onto CD myself.
Wankers.

sox

Message 5/5             08-Jan-99  @  03:20 AM   -   RE: world's most expensive free update

kilo

ha !......tragic....

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)