aaa ES-1? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: ES-1?

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             30-Mar-00  @  09:02 AM   -   ES-1?

Maarten

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I don't know what to make of this.I like my tribes , but when purchasing a sampler ,do I want this?

-M-

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             30-Mar-00  @  07:16 PM   -   RE: ES-1?

k

Link?:  No link

it had to happen eh!...

well it acheives long total-sample time spec's by limiting the sampling to 32K.... which frankly is ABSOLUTELY FINE for most dance sampling needs especially sampling from vinyl... perfect...

i have no idea how well it works, but the smart-media cards add alot of cost for storage.. if you REALLY get into sampling, and have NO way to dump sounds from a PC to smart-media then in a few months you'll easily spend the price of a decent S/H rack-sampler AGAIN on cards - you're looking at $50 bucks for an 8mb card, worse, a BOSS 4mb smart media card (the type you might find in music shops, is $45 bucks-ish.. what Korgs cards cost, i dunno... Yikes!!!!...

compare that to cart or floppy storage, and you can soon see that regardless of how good the product is you're on a looser as soon as you buy it - UNLESS.....

if you DO ALREADY have some device attatched to your PC to load sounds to the smart media card from your PC then you are happy again cos you can use wav & aiff and carry them over to the tribe....

but the unit is like $600 bucks, then add a single 4mb card & a smart-media card port adaptor for the pc... and tou then have the price of a decent rack sampler & a zip drive !!!...

one could take the argument further and say that IF you DO have the PC to dump/save/library the sounds then most likely you will also have a sequencer running on it, in which case, it obviates the sequebcer part of the Tribe

To Positive the Tribe.. you could argue, that even if you DID have a sequencer, the sampler allows you to resample etc... but without a clear YES or NO as to wether you CAN sequence the Tribes 12 parts externally that case is an unknown...

I'd say the smart-medai choice is cynical.... (but I always do for storage :-) it seems like trying to pick up extra bucks from newbie users cos inevitably they'll offer Korg branded cards and pick up sales... however, given the 'amateur' market the product is aimed at I can see why the design descision was made thusly....

so the actual price of the unit is actually MORE than 600 bucks, cos you gotta add a card at point of purchase really to be able to save sounds...

WHAT I HATE ABOUT KORGS PAGES is the lack of REAL info and all the incessant ad-speak... For example.. can it be sequenced by an external sequencer?.. do the effects allow a send from each PART in reatime or to get FX to sounds even a basic reverb-per-sound if needed do you have to resample it whilst muting the other parts/tracks??.. etc etc.. so there are some unknowns as bloody usual.... BUt hey.. the Ad-speak is to get you down to the store.. from where the Dealer tells you the rest...

Now... it does have a sequencer and resampling etc which is very interesting... and potentially useful to anyone who already has & relies on the other two Tribe's as their arsenal... i dunno.... the short answer is.. if you have already a sequencer.. you could say: "fuck that get a REAL sampler".. but then again... having resampling FX is cool even tho it doesnt sample at full bandwidth, is monophonic (partwise, and I assume also there is no way it can be a 'playable' sampler to play chords etc...) -

It's a multi-part loop-player with fx.. which COULD actually be cool even in a studio setup with an external sequencer... (IF it can be sequenced by external seq) - we are going round and round with unknown variables you see...

also... the ability to change FX in realtimne as part of a saequence with the sample is also interesting... IF this unit clocks to midi, then you could create some very interesting fx in a track clocked to your pc sequencer...

Generally tho... at 600 plus card?... fuck that.. get a real sampler !!! :-)... ha ha ha... sorry... no, i cant say without that other info (wether sequencer clocks, wether parts can be triggered by external sequencer.... wait !!!!!.. i must be tired and not thinking straight...It HAS to clock, silly me, otherwise it cant work with the other trib units... so umm...

phew.. for a newbie??... i dunno... could be VERY good even at the price...

also, for someone with shitloads of money & loads of Pro kit... even then it could be good as a clocked sound-loop type thing...this being the key paragraph:

'.....With the Motion Sequence function, every tweak of a knob can be recorded as part of the rhythm pattern. Alter your tone at will on each part using one of the following parameters: pitch, filter, level, or pan. Then, with the Motion Sequence assign effect on/off, roll, and reverse playback for each part (all three can be recorded per part). Plus you can apply an Effect Motion Sequence (a motion sequence for effect parameters) and a Delay Motion Sequence to the entire pattern.'
you could do hese things with upmarket rack samplers like obviously, but not so conveniently... blah blah blah.. ramble...

all in all for that latter type of user, wait a few months, snap one up s/h or in the bargain bucket store, and it could yeild GREAT interesting realtime results quickly without having to setup loads of patches, & routings etc with your other kit... all in all, i think it looks great.. but it's just a shame it isnt say 100-150 bucks cheaper...

by the way...love Korg's redesigned site tho... LOve the retro-late 60's film-frame-devide look.... the left to right scrolling is very cool.. better than the old look which was pure 100% cheese - BUT WHY OH WHY OH WHY... CANT THEY ADD .PDF MANUAL DOWNLOADS ???.. WHY MAKE IT LOOK GREAT WHEN THE TECH SIDE IS SO LACKING...??? - also absolutely no contact info i could see...

ANY KORG-BOTS ABOUT - TAKE NOTE...

Message 3/4             12-Apr-00  @  01:10 PM   -   RE: ES-1?

stizu

well this isn't as bad as it looks mr K. If for some reason you cannot stand to go to any store other than a music store for smartmedia etc then yes, you are screwed for the price. However after five minutes searching online i found a kingston(ooh it don't sound musical at all does it?) 16 meg card for 34.99 or if you are looking for outrageous amounts of sample storage, you could get a smartmedia card reader for a whopping 49.99 oh and the es-1 is still 600bux... retail. i do intend on getting one of these and i am a newbie so i would say that that had quite alot to do with my decision. but even with the sequencing kit that i have used(rather tried to use) nothing compares to that good ol' X0X style sequencing

Message 4/4             12-Apr-00  @  11:14 PM   -   RE: ES-1?

k

if you read what i wrote slowly, it is in fact a VERY balanced honest appraisal... I have stated quite clearly that this could be a cool unit for newbies and advanced users alike... and that especially the sequencer with it's step features for the control parameters & fx per step could yield excellent results for any level of user

2. HOWEVER... buy the card & the writer and the price jumps to 675 ish... EASILY THE S/H PRICE OF SAY: an akai s3000, yamaha a3000, roland s750, s760, s1000, s1100, s2800, esi4000, esi32, s2000, etc etc ??... any of those sampler can be had s/h for the basic ES-1 price alone.. and when you buy one of those s/h from another user, it'll also come with a bunch of sounds to get you going also thrown in...

3. WITHOUT the smartmedia card reader, you have no sounds at all.. except that which you sample direct.. you have no libraries available etc... so yes, you can d/load sounds & loops and link your pc-out to the ES IN, and sample analog direct...

if you dont have a sequencer.. fine... as i said, i think you should read what i wrote again.. it is well balanced... but.... worth a thought thats all.. i'm here to play devils advocate.. provoke thought and discussion, drop some ideas etc...

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)