aaa Hey, Peake!! - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Hey, Peake!!

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             13-Mar-00  @  12:49 PM   -   Hey, Peake!!

damballah

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

Hey, I had an idea. You know what would be cool? If using ADAT-EDIT and an ADAT someone could do data archiving. Say you transferred a bunch of trax to a computer, put it in Logic (or whatever), added some midi, did a mix, etc... but didn't want to leave it hanging out taking up hard disk space (and it was bigger than a CD-R would hold). Wouldn't it be slick if you could pack the whole thing as a single archive that you could stream out as 8 digital audio tracks on a S-VHS tape. Then stream it back in for future use, all linked up and ready to go. Whaddaya think?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             13-Mar-00  @  02:10 PM   -   RE: Hey, Peake!!

peake

Link?: Link

I think it does that... It has to happen in real time, 8 tracks at once.

Message 3/5             13-Mar-00  @  02:35 PM   -   RE: Hey, Peake!!

damballah

Link?:  Link

It'll do the audio; I was talking 'bout the data (.lso, .ovm) files as well. Sort of all stuffed into a single 8-track archive. The tapes are equal to about 1,600 MB, right? That's a buttload of cheap storage. If you write all your audio files individually to tape, you gotta do them 8 at a time. When you reimport them into the computer, you have to relink 'em (and hope the timing info stayed dead on) or reimport 'em into your digital audio sequencer. I'm talking about doing it as a massive dump. You could just unpack it when you transfer it back into the computer and have it all ready to go. It would probably involve an app or utility with commands like "Encode folder to ADAT audio" and "Decode ADAT audio to data files." Am I explaining this right?

Message 4/5             13-Mar-00  @  07:15 PM   -   RE: Hey, Peake!!

peake

Link?: Link

I get it... I'll see.

Message 5/5             20-Mar-00  @  11:40 PM   -   RE: Hey, Peake!!

k

Link?:  No link

sawplus does this with audio to any medium tape such as dat even... it'll save up to 24 tracks on a dat, but you have to save the song data seperatly... saving the song info/midi to a h/d area/folder and the audio streamed to SVHS is cool & handy tho

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)