aaa RM1X - Toy or Legit? - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: RM1X - Toy or Legit?

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             06-Mar-00  @  04:34 PM   -   RM1X - Toy or Legit?

mightym1

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

So, whaddya think... is this thing just a toy, or is it viable to use for recording purposes. To me, the sounds are a bit thin, but that's easily fixed, with the addition of a good compressor/sonic maximizer, such as the behringer ultrafex. Seems to have good controlling capabilities. And it was pretty simple to sequence with... haven't had the chance to hook it up to much external gear, but... Whats the verdict?

MuhA

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             06-Mar-00  @  05:22 PM   -   RE: RM1X - Toy or Legit?

nobody

Link?:  Link

high quality sequencer with very high resolution. many people on this site use & have good to say about them. looks like it needs a custom paintjob though ;)

Message 3/8             08-Mar-00  @  08:44 AM   -   RE: RM1X - Toy or Legit?

Defector_Z

Link?:  No link

It's great. Check the Tech Chat history and you will get lots of opinions there. The sounds aren't great, but with the onboard FX, you can fatten them up. I use it to trigger a MWXT, Korg ER-1, and ESI4000. It is not a toy and I don't know why people say that. Because it was popular? Probably. The sequencer is rock solid, intuitive and flexible. Sounds: it has some cool bass sounds and SFX, but again - you want it for the sequencer. If you want sounds, go somewhere else. Some people use it alone and love it. I couldn't use it as a standalone, especially not with my XT right there :-)
What do you have to compare it to? MMT8: doesn't have ANY sounds, but is MUCH cheaper.
Q80? same deal.
MPC2000? RM1X doesn't sample, but the MPC is a lot more money.

To me, the RM1X is a no brainer because nothing else out there does what it does (that I know of).

Message 4/8             08-Mar-00  @  08:49 PM   -   RE: RM1X - Toy or Legit?

eddie

RM1x running with the Virtual Sampler(sblive) ?
would that save me from buying a su700/a3000?

Message 5/8             09-Mar-00  @  10:20 AM   -   RE: RM1X - Toy or Legit?

R-Tek

I love my MPC, but I`m very jealous of the RM1Xs 480pqn (FUCKING HELL!!!!) and that bank of midi controllers. It does suffer prejudice because of its appearance though I think.

Message 6/8             10-Mar-00  @  10:18 PM   -   RE: RM1X - Toy or Legit?

rtm

Defector_Z have a rm1x love it but
dont want to use it alone what sould
i get sampler,tone gen?what works good
with it?right now i am just working with
the rm1x a mixer and a pc.

Message 7/8             14-Mar-00  @  04:28 PM   -   RE: RM1X - Toy or Legit?

Pete

I'm running a VERY small setup consisting of just the RM1x and an XT. It works great, though sometimes for reasons unkown to me, the RM1x sends PB-messages that I haven't requested.
Anyway, it's no big problem. If anyone suffers from the same, the solution is:
Assign one of the channels you use for the XT to BOTH the XT and the RM1x. Then turn down the RM1x on that part. Downer. Now you can't hear your XT! No problemo. Switch off the XT, and switch it back on. Barbaric yes, but hey it works. As long as you make sure a minimum of one channel is assigned that way, it won't change your multi each time you hit stop. Which gave me a very fucking big headache when I started using it.
Right... anyway. I love my RM1x. The sounds are not as good as on a 505, but the FX are wicked and it's the coolest for drums. But then, it's my only source of drums, which leads me to another (though related) subject:
If I hook these two babies to a PC running Acid, will I then have to buy a sampler or can I do without?!
Is Acid just a flashy software phrase-sampler or can it do more serious stuff?! And can I use it for editing all the parts in a song and then make one master-file and master that in, say, Cool Edit or Soundforge?!
A little expert help would be appreciated.
Ciao.

Message 8/8             14-Mar-00  @  09:58 PM   -   RE: RM1X - Toy or Legit?

Defector_Z

I am a big fan of hardware. I say screw the PC until you two track, add vocals (that sort of thing) but that is personal preference. I don't know squat about software sampling.

rtm: can't really suggest what you should get next. YOu have alot of considerations. Samplers are powerful, and if you are doing breaks and such, could be a good option. I use mine for drums and sfx. an ESI4000.
I think that a "real" synth would be a great addition. Something to fill out the RM1X. I have an XT and love it to death. Some like the FS1R. CS1X or AN1X, depending on sound. XP-60/80 a possibity as well - just a FEW possibilities.

I think the RM1X does suffer from it's appearance, it appears "groove approved". I love it. I considered selling it a while back but thought "what the fuck else am I going to use?!" There isn't anything like it (that I know of).

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)