aaa yamaha samplers???? - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: yamaha samplers????

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             09-May-00  @  04:57 AM   -   yamaha samplers????

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

hi,

so what is the score with Yamaha samplers??
i am currently looking 4 a sampler (2 replace my useless AWE64 Gold!!) and i am cosidering an A3000v2, i can get a 2nd hand one 4 about £500UK with the extra outputs and an internal SCSI hard drive, but i have read some really bad reports from users on the internet.
can anyone give me an honest report from an owner or an UNHAPPY EX OWNER.
i am also considering saving a bit more money 4 a Yam 4000, as it seems a stupidly high spec 4 the money (compared to Akai/EMU). i must say i like the idea of the Yamaha range and the fact that they have effects as standard (as i own NO outboard effects and rely on plugins).
So is anyone really happy with a Yamaha or have most of the owners gone back to Akai/EMU.
also my other options 2nd hand are a S2000 akai (hopefully with effects an extra outs) or a EMU Esi 4000 turbo (effects, zip etc), these seem 2 b around about the same price 2nd hand.

anybodys comments would be MOUCHO appreciated!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             09-May-00  @  11:17 AM   -   RE: yamaha samplers????

SwampMan

Link?:  No link

Look at 2Nasty Yamaha a5000 bug" or whatever its called. I swapped my A5000 because it was to buggy./SwampMan

Message 3/10             11-May-00  @  05:53 PM   -   RE: yamaha samplers????

k

my mates experience with his a3000 (an early one), was the same as these later expericnes, disk/loading/saving & loosing work prob's... in the end he got it sorted i think, but i know he had to get thru several floppy drives (this was before he fitted a h/d) - so he had disk or disk control probs.

Message 4/10             11-May-00  @  06:18 PM   -   RE: yamaha samplers????

CK

I've been using an A3000 V2 for a while now with iomega zip for storage and it works fine. But the additional outputs are quite noisy and the SCSI speed is rather on the slow side. If I was buying second hand I would try and find and EMU E64 which I think has built in FX (the E6400 only had FX as an optional extra).

The A3000 filters are pretty good, very japanease sound - hard - good for D&B or Trance!

Message 5/10             12-May-00  @  05:19 AM   -   RE: yamaha samplers????

mol8292

i own an A3000 V2 with internal SCSI-drive... i like it a lot....good filters (harder than the EMU filters which sound a lot "softer" and "friendly") good internal effects, internal resampling, beat-processing, modulation-matrix, midi-syncing..... cons: SCSI-transfer speed from external SCSI-device to A3k is rather slow, but workable if you don't transfer whole tracks....the output-level (especially of assignable outs) is not that hot...this is because of the headroom needed for 64 voices, and all the dB raises that are possible on samples with the filter and EQ settings per sample.....

it's a real good sampler for electronic music...if you're more into film score or "friendlier" filters, or transfer VERY large samples, and have lot's of outboard effects, try the EMU

Olaf

Message 6/10             12-May-00  @  05:23 AM   -   RE: yamaha samplers????

mol8292

about the dissapearing of samples on internal disks:

if you connect your A-series sampler with a PC through SCSI you have to make sure that you disable any virus-scanners and use a patch on your registry (is available from www.teklab.com)..it seems that Windoze and/or some virusscanners try to access all disks available and write/modify some string on the FAT section of the disk to recognize the disk...this will make the yamaha file-system screw up..

Olaf

Message 7/10             12-May-00  @  06:16 PM   -   RE: yamaha samplers????

CK

Another peculiar thing is it has a create oscillators command, which is very nice... except they are created on F3# with the fine pitch setting of -20 instead of C3, which is what you would expect. If you transfer one into TWE it say it is a 48000 sample rate - and this isn't supported by the sampler.

Don't get me wrong though its a good machine, its just not a great one. If you can't get a decent track out with one then you won't be able to with anything else either.

Needless to say you can work around this, but its odd and they haven't attended to it on the new ones.

Message 8/10             13-May-00  @  05:14 AM   -   RE: yamaha samplers????

Link?:  Link

hi,

so ive narrowed it down 2 either an ESi4000 turbo or an A3000v2, both are around about the same price and the Yam has a 2gig internal HD but does not have the output expanders.

which one would you lot go for???

your help would b much appreciated as i want 2 buy one of these 2nd hand this very weekend!!!!

thanks a lot.

Message 9/10             15-May-00  @  10:47 AM   -   RE: yamaha samplers????

Defector Z

Well, I opted for the ESI4000 Turbo Zip over the a3k. I haven't been able to compare the two next to each other, but the general concensus is that the a3k has more features, but EMU is generally regarded as the brand with the best sounding samplers. I think you would do fine with either although it has recentrly come to light that their are some problsm with the a3k. I have not found or heard of any problems with the ESI4000. It has been a rock.

Message 10/10             16-May-00  @  09:26 AM   -   RE: yamaha samplers????

Jasper

even though there are some issues with the scsi a3000 implementation (you need to get this windoze fix from a3k central that avoids it).. also the gig hard drive thing is a bit strange.

all my niggles are just niggles.. it don't dull the fact that the a3000 is a very capeable sampler with some very nice features.. for 500 with all the stuff you mentioned it has to be the bargain of the year.

I paid 1299 in total for a 34meg a3k V2 with a zip drive and you know what?

I'd happily pay it again cos it is the best money I have ever spent.

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)