aaa Possibly a very stupid question, but... - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Possibly a very stupid question, but...

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6             13-Aug-00  @  07:31 AM   -   Possibly a very stupid question, but...

astro_bob

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

...are the A4000/5000 better than the A3000? I'm new to all this. Its just that I'm thinking of buying one, but wherever I look the price of a new 3000 is significantly higher than that of the 4000. Is this because they've stopped making the 3000 or something?
Can someone help me out here? What do you suggest I buy (I think the 5000 is out of my price range).

Cheers,
Bob

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/6             14-Aug-00  @  05:19 PM   -   RE: Possibly a very stupid question, but...

k

better at what?...

Message 3/6             15-Aug-00  @  09:28 AM   -   RE: Possibly a very stupid question, but...

N

There is not a lot of difference between them. It looks on the surface like an A3000 + better display. Certainly the polyphony, timbrality and the number of FX blocks are the same. You get CD burning driver support. I think you might get more FX types.

I'm not sure where you are getting your pricing info, or whether you juse made a typo but the A3000 is cheaper everywhere than the A4000.

In the UK you can pick one up for c.£500 whereas the cheapest A4000 I saw was £780.

That £280 difference is just about enough to get another 64MB of RAM and a ZIP 250 drive, both of which are pretty essential.

The downside to the A3000 is the lack of graphical display. Trying to find a loop point by ear/numbers is a bit tedious. You can do it on your PC but you'd need to invest in a cheapo SCSI card first. The you can use things like Wavelab which has amazing editing and looping facilities.

Message 4/6             16-Aug-00  @  06:05 AM   -   RE: Possibly a very stupid question, but...

Jasper

there is a real quick way to find the start point of samples..
switch the zero seek on
detune the sample by about -32
search by about 100 at a time while pressing audition until you hear no gap before the sample playing.. when you have it close set the tuning back again..
you might be about 30 samples out.

Message 5/6             16-Aug-00  @  08:25 AM   -   RE: Possibly a very stupid question, but...

N

So how big is a sample?

Message 6/6             17-Aug-00  @  09:33 AM   -   RE: Possibly a very stupid question, but...

Jasper

erm, ok not very well put.

in fact, completely wrong now I think about it. if a sample has a frequency of 44khz, then it has 44,000 snapshots of the sound in a second.

what I meant was the sample might have a small gap at the start using this method, if you loaded it into an editor like soundforge you might see a gap at the start of around 30 pixels which would be say 30 words (words as in double bytes).

Sorry, I'm finding this hard to explain.

anyone?

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)