aaa Yamaha A4000 sampler - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Yamaha A4000 sampler

Viewing all 21 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/21             24-Aug-00  @  02:53 PM   -   Yamaha A4000 sampler

No Spam

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi,
I have just found out that I've won a yamaha A4000 and I should be receiving it in the next week or so, which is nice.
What I'd like to know is how can I best intergrate it into my setup? Which is a PIII 450, Cubase 3.7, yam SW1000XG and a Yam CS2x connected to that. I would be using the sampler "mainly", though not only, for Drums that have been chopped up in recycle and trigggering it from cubase. Also do I have to buy a separate cd rom player or can I use the one in my PC?
Thanks for any help Ringo

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/21             24-Aug-00  @  03:11 PM   -   RE: Yamaha A4000 sampler

Balcra

Jammy Bastard! - Well done.

You can use your existing CD for ripping audio --> recycle --> SCSI xfer to A4K. You'll need a SCSI card for your PC tho (obviously).

If you haven't already commited to
Recycle take a look at Wavesurgeon (or Mobius which is Wavesurgeon+CD ripping) at www.squarecircle.co.uk. Cheap but good.

Balcra

Message 3/21             25-Aug-00  @  03:50 AM   -   RE: Yamaha A4000 sampler

Dougal

You spawny git.

That sampler kicks sonic butt. I guarantee you will be using it for more than drums. It makes good synth sounds even without loading any samples!

You definately need a SCSI card. The CD player is another matter. It depends on what you will be doing. There are very few Yamaha format sample CD's around so you probably won't get that much use out of it for that. For audio CDs you can use any CD player with an audio output. You could burn your own A4K native CD's using an app called A3KDisky and use them but it is not that useful. It can kind of read Akai sample CDs so if you have loads of those then it might be useful.

I certainly wouldn't rush out and buy one yet but I would definately get a SCSI Zip 250 drive.

You will also need to get some memory - you will soon run out with the standard RAM.

Message 4/21             25-Aug-00  @  10:39 PM   -   RE: Yamaha A4000 sampler

0/d

Link?:  Link

if you are buying a hard disk buy an IDE,its so so much faster.excellent sampler btw,something to build your studio around.

Message 5/21             26-Aug-00  @  09:17 PM   -   RE: Yamaha A4000 sampler

nospam

Hi,
Thanks for the info.
I have a some more questions that I need some advice with.
At the moment I don't have a spare PCI slot as both are taken up, 1 by Sw1000 and the other by a modem. Is there any way to get around taking the modem out for the SCSI card? Or am I going to have to sacrifice the modem?
Also will it be a problem that my current hard drive is not SCSI, but a normal IDE, or doesn't it matter?
Sorry for the basic questions but I'm really not up with the technical stuff, and just want to make sure I getting the right thing. Thansks again Ringo

Message 6/21             28-Aug-00  @  04:06 AM   -   RE: Yamaha A4000 sampler

Breakerbox

If you dont't have scsi,that means you have to buy a scsi card and scsi hard drive.... thats a lot of money...
If i were you i would get a internal zip drive for the a4000 and even an internal ide harddrive ( you can get 10 gig one for 60bucks) zip drive is another 75 bucks, i bet it will be much cheaper then getting a scsi setup, you can get an internal zip for your pc or if you wanna save it for another ide device you could get a external usb zip drive, and use the zip disks to transfer the samples between. This way you wouldnt have to switch the pci cards and it could be cheaper too, but you cant upload your samples straight from the pc, you have to put them on the zip disk and then load them up to yamaha, you can use midi dump always,
takes a long time, but still can use for drum hits, etc.
Eddie

Message 7/21             28-Aug-00  @  12:16 PM   -   RE: Yamaha A4000 sampler

nospam

Hi Eddie,
Thanks for the reply. I think I'll take your advice and get one of the USB zip drives and an internal one for the A4000, that way I can still keep the modem in, plus save a bit of cash. Thanks again Ringo

Message 8/21             29-Aug-00  @  06:07 AM   -   RE: Yamaha A4000 sampler

Dougal

Nospam!

I think you are getting some seriously incorrect advice here....

I am very surprised to hear people suggesting internal IDE drives. As far as I know, you can't use IDE hard-drives inside Yamaha samplers! I imagine that goes for internal Zip drives too. The sampler is based around a SCSI bus system and not an IDE one. This info is based upon my experience with the A3K but I am pretty sure that the internal bus architecture between the A3K and the 4K is much different. My apologies if it is.

Have you guys actually done what you are suggesting?

You almost certainly want a SCSI card if you are going to get the best out of your sampler. Breakerbox told you that you would need to get a SCSI hard-drive too, but his is only true if you want to use that particular hard-disk to store A4K native volumes. But you probably won't need to do that. A SCSI 250MB Zip drive is more flexible and much cheaper.

The main reasons you need a SCSI card is so that you can transfer samples from your PC (NB - via an editor only) to your A4K. For instance, you might edit and loop a sample in Wavelab and then transmit it to the sampler directly. Or if you have a load of wavs you got off the net - you can just transmit each sample to the sampler without having to load each and every wav onto a floppy (bearing in mind that a floppy does 1.44MB max!). Bear in mind that the floppy drive is the ONLY drive which both your PC and your sampler can both read from or write to (this is because Yamaha allows the sampler to use DOS format on this particular drive and this drive only.

You only need a cheap SCSI card which will set you back c.£50. It is an essential purchase. External modems are also very cheap these days.

Also you CANNOT transfer samples using Zip drives as suggested because the A3K has to format the Zip disk in it's own way to be able to use it and will not read Windows/DOS/Mac formats. The opposite is also true - Windows will not read A4K formatted Zips either. So obviously you can't use them for transfers!

FYI my setup consistes of the sampler connected to my PC via SCSI and MIDI, plus a 250 MB SCSI Zip drive also attached to the sampler on the same SCSI chain.

That way I can use Zip disks to store my samples (with loop, filter settings etc), programs and volumes. For looping and editing of samples I tranmsit them from the sampler to Wavelab and back. I also have a SCSI CD but I never use it as I don't have any Yamaha native sample CDs.

To answer your question - tt doesn't matter that you current PC internal drive is IDE. I think that this question comes from a lack of understanding on the nature of the interface between the sampler and the PC. In most set-ups, your sampler is NOT supposed to be accessing your hard-drive directly. The A4K has to have an A4K formatted drive (ANY drive other than the floppy) to read/write to/from. If you formatted your PC's internal drive so that the sampler could use it(it would have to be SCSI) then Windows would NOT be able to read from that drive anymore!

The SCSI connection to the PC is not ususally used to access your hard-drive but as a means of transmitting samples to audio editing software (Soundforge, Wavelab etc). You can still use your PC's drive to store lots of samples in the form of wavs or other PC formats.

Go to www.a3kcentral.com and check out the FAQ's - they answer most of this stuff. Also, the manual will definately cover which internal drives are usable. Personally, I wouldn't use any form of internal drive as it just creates noise and are not as flexible.

Out of interest - where are you supposed to fit an internal Zip drive to the sampler? I can't see where the bay is. You might be able to jam it inside the box but how are you going to change disks?!? You certainly can't afford to take the floppy drive out and use that bay, for the reasons above.

Buying two zip drives as you describe will cost you more than getting one scsi Zip plus a cheap SCSI card and you won't actually be able to use that setup!

Message 9/21             30-Aug-00  @  04:24 PM   -   RE: Yamaha A4000 sampler

formant

yup, dougal you are incorrect...

go read the specs, the a4/5000 have scsi and ide

this is great because i can use only ide and have no scsi headaches...

when i want stuff in or out of the sampler, i use the spdif i/o and i am truely free of scsi hell.

jamey

Message 10/21             31-Aug-00  @  03:00 AM   -   RE: Yamaha A4000 sampler

Dougal

That's pretty useful. Is SPDIF input as easy as a SCSI transmit.

Message 11/21             31-Aug-00  @  12:39 PM   -   RE: Yamaha A4000 sampler

grammp

Link?: Link

Does the SPDIF I/O card on the a4k support IEEE 1394 [ aka firewire ] ?

Message 12/21             01-Sep-00  @  09:08 AM   -   RE: Yamaha A4000 sampler

Jasper

just to clarify that, the a4k and a5k have a scsi and ide interface internal but only scsi external

Message 13/21             06-Sep-00  @  01:42 PM   -   RE: Yamaha A4000 sampler

lesphonic

Link?: Link

Ok, I'm getting strange behaviour from my a4k. I have an external Yamaha CD-R attached via SCSI and also an internal 8GIG IDE hard drive broken into 8 Volumes inside the a4k. Problem is when i try copying the yamaha sample volumes included it doesn't warn me that there isn't enough space on a particular volume on my hard disk and instead just deletes whatever is on the Volume!!!

Anyone else run into this? Any suggested remedies?

Message 14/21             07-Sep-00  @  07:09 AM   -   RE: Yamaha A4000 sampler

hajee

When you copy all-volumes it first 'deletes' the existing one. A better way is to load volumes into the samplers memory and then save em...It's not as convenient but safer non the less. I think if you create a bunch of empty volumes first and then use the copy volume (1 at the time) you should also be safe...

never tested it for sure..

Message 15/21             07-Sep-00  @  10:50 AM   -   RE: Yamaha A4000 sampler

k

i'd 100% agree with Dougal up above - dump the internal modem for SURE, get an external modem, add a scsi card for the pc, and wire in an EXternal zip drive to the yamaha for the yammy ONLY to save to - transfer via scsi card , save to the external scsi zip from the smapler

Message 16/21             08-Sep-00  @  08:17 AM   -   RE: Yamaha A4000 sampler

Dougal

Lesphonic

My experience is for the A3K but I think (!) it goes for the A4K.

You can create volumes on any harddisk. You can also select which volume you performing disk functions with using the Volume menu. If you try to save an entire volume it will obviously write over the volume which you have previously selected. if you don't want this to happen, just create a new volume on the disk and save over that. You can have loads of volumes on any disk or partition of that disk.

I organise things thus: each 250MB Zip disk (could be a partition for you) is labelled according to sample type (say Drums). That disk (partition) contains several volumes (say Breaks, Kits etc). I use these to store volumes I have created. If I create or load a new drumkit, I then save it either as a Samplebank or a Program within the relevant volume. I also have a seperate disk for projects/songs on which I create various volumes, one for each project.

The Yammy manual suggests that you will want to save volumes all the time, and for an individual project (containing drums, leads, basses etc) that is a good way of working. However for individial multisamples (samplebanks) or sounds, you can just save that sample or program (containing FX and EasyEdit settings) within an existing volume that has been suitably labelled.

You will need more than 8 volumes. Best to create partitions and then loads of volumes within each partition.

My apologies if this doesn't work for the A4K.

Message 17/21             11-Sep-00  @  07:46 AM   -   RE: Yamaha A4000 sampler

chertzy

IDE certainly does work for the A4000/5000, I had a spare Quantum and put it in and it's great. You can NOT access this drive from the computer though, so you need a SCSI CDrom anyway......

Be aware that Recycle still doesn't recognise the A4000......wavesurgeon does apparent;y and its much cheaper.

Message 18/21             12-Sep-00  @  05:51 PM   -   RE: Yamaha A4000 sampler

k

yes, i remember that Neil (wavesurgeons author) told me that yamaha gave him a sampler to use when he wrote the implementation for it.

Message 19/21             10-Oct-00  @  03:02 AM   -   RE: Yamaha A4000 sampler

adams04

Hi guys
Got my A4K!
Now who can tell me the best scsi Zip set-up so ican start transferring my wavs from my hd in the pc to somewhere that the A4K can use?
I think i,m ok for cd,s as i have an scsi cdr in the pc which only needs a cable to hook up to the A4K.
My god what a great sound this thing makes.My Roland XP30 suddenly sounds gritty in comparison!Must be the improved dacs.

Cheers Gooroo.

Message 20/21             10-Oct-00  @  01:39 PM   -   RE: Yamaha A4000 sampler

teattri

how efficient is using the SPDIF input on Axk for transfering samlpes?
i mean does it have any difference from recording analog input other than digital recording?

do you have to trim samples for example..

Message 21/21             10-Oct-00  @  03:31 PM   -   RE: Yamaha A4000 sampler

Jasper

if you mean is it quicker.. erm no quicker that analogue.. just a whole lot less convertions going on (none in fact) hence a perfect copy.

Viewing all 21 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 21 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)