aaa A3K EASY MIDI Q. - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: A3K EASY MIDI Q.

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             02-Nov-00  @  03:13 PM   -   A3K EASY MIDI Q.

crcwalsh

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Ok a very simple question, but I can't work this out.

How do I set a program to a specific midi channel.

Say Program 1 only on midi ch1
and Program 2 only on midi ch2

then when I go into cubase I just set the midi channels to what program I want on the A3K.

Ok simple question but hope one of you can help me out.

thanks

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             02-Nov-00  @  04:52 PM   -   RE: A3K EASY MIDI Q.

Jasper

Link?: Link

think of it like this..

a program is a collection of samples their settings and also how the fx engines are configured. It also contains the info on whether a sample is switched on or not.

you'll only use one program for a track (it is usefull for trying out different fx etc without losing the original programs setting though).

Message 3/9             03-Nov-00  @  03:42 AM   -   RE: A3K EASY MIDI Q.

crcwalsh

Ok I'm a little confused here....

Say I have two different drum kits the first in program one and the second in program two.

So when I'm making a tune I want to use both drum kits......I can't do this then?

May be I don't understand the process, any help would be great.

Message 4/9             03-Nov-00  @  08:24 AM   -   RE: A3K EASY MIDI Q.

teemu

The mighty A3000 has a totally different structure from the other samplers on the market. What A3000 refers to as a program is totally different to every other piece of gear. Under normal circumstances you'll be only using one program for each song.

Think of it like this: When you change programs with others samplers it's like changing from a grand piano to an electric piano with general midi. When you change programs with the A3000 it's like changing the general midi bank to something else. It can be a different GM bank but it can just as well be a bank with nothing but drum sounds.

Also remember that all the settings in the Sample section affect the sample in every program so if you want to have the same sample in 2 different programs you must use the Easy Edit settings, they are program-specific.

And to answer the question: Just put the drum kits in different midi channels. Drum kit A in channel 1 and drum kit B in channel 2.

Message 5/9             03-Nov-00  @  12:57 PM   -   RE: A3K EASY MIDI Q.

Jasper

start from the top.

switch on the a3k.

your drum kits are in two different banks right?

load them both in.

switch the first one on and press edit -> f6 --- the midi chanel will be 1

switch the 2nd bank on and change it's midi channel to 2

right two drum kits responding on two different channels.

think of banks (a collection of samples) and single samples as being the highest level thing in the sampler.. don't worry about programs you can pretty mutch ignore them for 99.99999% of sampler work

Message 6/9             03-Nov-00  @  02:03 PM   -   RE: A3K EASY MIDI Q.

Jasper

thing is you can have both banks on the same channel if you wish, just make sure the actual samples are responding on seperate keys.

you can get the a3k to do this for you (map the samples across the keys) - press play -> sample (f2) and then 'command', scroll through until you see the arrange sample bank screen, you can see the keys that will be used, change these for one of the banks so that they don't overlap.

Message 7/9             05-Nov-00  @  08:00 AM   -   RE: A3K EASY MIDI Q.

crcwalsh

OK thanks for your help guys... I think I understand the logic now.... Ok so I have two different drum kits in two different banks now under one program. But what I want to do is put different effects on kit one (say comp, delay) and on kit 2 I want to put say Hall and echo effects. Problem I find is that both drum kits are effected by one set of effects. I can't seem to separate the effects per drum kit.

Ok thanks again.... your help has been great.

Message 8/9             06-Nov-00  @  07:59 AM   -   RE: A3K EASY MIDI Q.

teemu

If you want your kits to have 4 effects you have to use use Program Change messages. Now, I've never done this but I think that changing programs on the fly would result in all the sounds playing at the moment getting cut off prematurely so you better do it when the a3k is not playing anything. Or, you could do what I do and use the A3k as a multitracker, recording all the different parts (plus their fx) as loops and thus freeing the FX for stuff that needs real-time control.

Message 9/9             06-Nov-00  @  12:46 PM   -   RE: A3K EASY MIDI Q.

Jasper

first check the fx routings (has the a4k got 4 effects?).

say the fx are setup like this fx1=comp fx2=delay fx3=hall fx4=echo.
with fx1 going into fx2 and fx3 going into fx4

select bank1 and go to the output screen (edit -> sample) select fx1 for the output.

select bank2 and select fx3 for the output.

now this will set the whole bank to output on an fx channel, if you want to be able to just send a couple of sounds from the bank to an fx do this.

press play -> sample and scroll until you see the display screen, set the display samples used in banks to 'yes', and then select your sample (not the bank) and change the output to an fx channel. But if you have set an output on the actual bank this will override all of the output settings of it's samples.

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)