aaa Alpha Juno Filter - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Alpha Juno Filter

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/15             27-Feb-00  @  09:06 AM   -   Alpha Juno Filter

Aenima

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I've read that there are trimmers inside of the Alpha Juno 1/2 and a few of them are labeled as having something to do with the filter. It also seems no-one knows what they actually do. I was wondering if some brave soul has already tweaked these and found out what they do (maybe tweaking resonance into the self-resonance range?)

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/15             28-Feb-00  @  06:39 AM   -   RE: Alpha Juno Filter

k

well, i've opened up some others, and yes, if you can identify them, they usually all have a freq & res tweaker... just be careful, be methodic... maybe mark the original clock position with a fine marker... so you can return it to original position

Message 3/15             02-Mar-00  @  03:56 AM   -   RE: Alpha Juno Filter

the_silver_fox

This may be off this topic but I've recently bought an Alpha Juno 1 and am wondering how to back up all of the sounds before I start editing the presets. The manual tells me to back them up to tape - this sounds a bit pre-historic to me! Is there a way to back up to MIDI via my sequencer??

Message 4/15             02-Mar-00  @  02:08 PM   -   RE: Alpha Juno Filter

R-Tek

try the "data transfer" button. Hold it down and press "1" (above where its says bulk dump) and it should dump all the sysex 2 your sequencer.

Message 5/15             28-Mar-00  @  04:26 AM   -   RE: Alpha Juno Filter

dan_jarrett

How does it compare to the 106?

Message 6/15             28-Mar-00  @  05:23 AM   -   RE: Alpha Juno Filter

dan_jarrett

How does it compare to the 106?

Message 7/15             28-Mar-00  @  10:20 AM   -   RE: Alpha Juno Filter

R-Tek

not as warm-sounding, but it has a nice character all 2 its own......only monotimbral, mind. U get some great bass out of it, wicked strings and all manner of wierd efx and drones - kinda techy sounding methinks. Its a nice additional synth - I paid 150 english 4 mine and I feel it was worth every penny - I`ve seen a few around £300 4 sale recently - don`t touch em, they aint worth that and u can get em much cheaper if u look around. Ummm........what else? Crap programming interface, though not hard 2 program by any means........fairly decent midi spec, only one envelope though. I dont think its a replacement 4 a 106, but its a nice board in its own right.

Message 8/15             05-Apr-00  @  04:28 AM   -   RE: Alpha Juno Filter

nothingnewhere

holy crap, are there realy trim pots in the aj's? if so that probobly meants there in the mks-50 as well... but i dont wanna hurt my mks! anybody actualy go in and change them, if there even there?

Message 9/15             06-Apr-00  @  08:34 AM   -   RE: Alpha Juno Filter

R-Tek

Well, when the Alphadial site was still running, the webmaster wrote a little article on the subject and I cant remmeber the exact details, but the end result was that tweaking the pots didn`t do much at all and he ended up putting them back in their original position. Maybe his was a bit of a duffer, I dunno.......still, think I might open the little fella this WE 2 see what happens.

Message 10/15             06-Apr-00  @  08:36 AM   -   RE: Alpha Juno Filter

R-Tek

......and oh, I`ll report back Sundayish on what happened if anyone is still interested  

Message 11/15             08-Apr-00  @  03:44 PM   -   RE: Alpha Juno Filter

Aenima

ya im still interested

Message 12/15             08-Apr-00  @  05:56 PM   -   RE: Alpha Juno Filter

R-Tek

opened it up yesterday - a little disappointing 2 b honest:

once I`d opened it up, I located 6 little orange trimmer pots in a row, Two of these seemed 2 b labelled "VCF" and a couple other "mix" or something. So after scratching my head and getting confused 4 a while I finally figured out that they were *all* trimmers 4 cutoff, affecting every sixth note (if that makes sense). All the trimmers r set at the factory roughly halfway, turn it 2 the right and the filter opend up a little, turn it 2 the left and the VCF closes some - thats about it, nothing drastic or unholy as I was hoping, infact I ended up just returning them back 2 their original setting. Was I stupid 2 even expect 2 find a trimmer 4 rez? I couldn`t see one anyway, oh well. Still a nice little board though.

Message 13/15             08-Apr-00  @  08:03 PM   -   RE: Alpha Juno Filter

k

i did a remix once with one of those.. heh - it was pretty damned good.. dont they get used in hardstyesl alot like gabba ?... anyways.. good track, it got played on ITV's Dance Energy

Message 14/15             09-Apr-00  @  10:45 AM   -   RE: Alpha Juno Filter

Aenima

O well, guess no more res for me...

Another thing i've been thinking about with this board. Can the chord memory be transmitted via MIDI? If so, it would be interesting to send it 6 of the same notes and see if it worked. Using the keyboard to set the chord memory, you cannot use the same note more than once, so no true unison. I don't remember seeing it in any of the midi specs tho...

Message 15/15             09-Apr-00  @  12:57 PM   -   RE: Alpha Juno Filter

R-Tek

Yeah, apparently its the main gabba synth (according 2 the Dutch Dters). If one synth can claim 2 have been instrumental in the formation of the classic R+S (remember them? they were good once) early 90s sound, then this is it. One of these and a half-decent sampler can go a long way methinks, its pretty damn versatile.

Aenima - I`ve often wondered if it was possible 2 set the chord memeory 2 the same notes, I read elsewhere on the web someone talking abou that, calling it the Joey Beltram trick, but I could never figure out how the fuck 2 do it. Let me know if u figure it out eh?

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)