aaa What makes Goa, Goa - Theory / composition / technique forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: What makes Goa, Goa

Viewing all 68 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7

Original Message 1/68             28-Feb-00  @  11:25 PM   -   What makes Goa, Goa

AietaD

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I know its a place, and Ive listed to MP3.com examples, but all I come away with is speed techno. Theres obviously alot more going on, but what?

What are the rudiments of Goa, if theres such a thing, or the scales at work here/there.

If possible a grid definition, or any other pointers would be appreciated

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/68             29-Feb-00  @  10:31 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

dsounds

Dark melodic instumental lines. Much like native chants. Lots of changing and interrupting beat. Find and buy Astral Projection cds. They are mother and father of Goa Trance for me. Were 3 guys, now 2 guys from Tel-Aviv Izrael. They do produce real Goa Trance music.

Message 3/68             29-Feb-00  @  09:14 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

p.

umm, often indian related scales (somewhat close to harmonic minor i would guess), at any rate very (minor scale) sounding to me. also, goa uses a lot of panning and often plays with the spatial relationships of the sounds as well. other than that, i think it's actually closer to trance than techno. -p.

Message 4/68             01-Mar-00  @  02:14 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

k

yeah, and 'that' squeeze-box/organ sound

Message 5/68             02-Mar-00  @  05:19 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

damballah

Link?:  Link

I've worked with hungarian, diminished and enigmatic scales before, which can yield a middle eastern or gypsy sound, as well as the different variation of minor, but I'm not familiar with eastern (indian) scales. Any idea how they're structured and used? Do they use microtonal tunings? Sitar?

Message 6/68             03-Mar-00  @  02:54 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

p.

wish i knew this one too. be nice to get my hands on some music and just figure it out. got a ravi shankar album someplace. mebbe that'll help. if you find anything out, post it here. i'll do likewise. -p.

Message 7/68             03-Mar-00  @  03:36 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

damballah

Link?: Link

Found this website ^^^ and read what was there. Fascinating although not entirely helpful. An entirely different mindset. I don't think I have any purely Indian records, just western fusions with that tradition such as John McLaughlin's Shakti works and the jazz group Oregon that combined sitar and table with upright bass, oboe and classical guitar. Also within that Indian Melody site are links to Indian Pop MP3s.

Message 8/68             04-Mar-00  @  09:27 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

AietaD

Meet someone that lived in Goa for a while, from what he said about it, it was a lot of sex, drugs and raves on the beach, sounds like Ibiza, and there I was thinking it was a place for a different kind of enlightenment

Message 9/68             04-Mar-00  @  10:19 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

sitar

Indian scales. There are every combination possible in Indian scales. North Indian is NOT microtonal. 12 tones are used. However the notes when sung are slid to rather than jumping from one to the next which we tend to do in the west, so their scales sound different. BTW Indian instruments were created to mimic vocal ability as closely as possible. This is why the sitar, sarod, sarangi (amazing instrument) were built to slide between notes.

A very popular Indian minor scale is Bhairavi. Below is the basic scale, but during most performances all notes are used. Playing Bhairavi is considered a master's art.

There are scales with: flat 3rd and flat 6th...flat 2nd, flat 3rd and flat 6th....flat 2nd, flat 3rd, sharp 4th, no fifth and flat 6th. All other notes are natural in the above mentioned.

Using pitch bend will begin to emulate the sound of an Indian melody if that is ever what you are looking for. If you can control pitch bend enough to be able to dance around accurately between 2 to 12 notes, your in good shape. I've tried and it would take some real practice. I wonder if some pitch bend wheels are better for accuracy than others. A real can of worms there.

Message 10/68             04-Mar-00  @  10:30 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

sitar

Sorry. Bhairavi showed up above not below as I mentioned.

P and Damballah...if you can find some of the pre 80s recordings of Ustad Vilayat Khan or Ustad Imrat Khan, you will hear some real sitar playing. Also look for Nishat Khan or Irshad Khan....these would be more recent as they are Imrats' sons. Shujaat Khan too...he is Vilayats' son...don't get "Lajo Lajo" only because that is more singing of romantic songs. This family is 8 generations of nothing but sitar players. Drop dead musicians.

I have a friend who lived in Goa and hung out with a woman who since wrote a book about the place which has become a bit of a cult book from my understanding. According to him it was all drugs and sex.

Message 11/68             05-Mar-00  @  09:50 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

sitar

And in case anyone is interested, I'm thinking of creating a new musical form. It will combine Goa with basic Indian drumming known as tekkha (pronounced take-uh). To that I will add lyrics in a traditional form of Japanese poetry. Call it Goa-Tekkha-Haik.  

Message 12/68             05-Mar-00  @  12:00 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

damballah

Sliding notes, huh? Possibly set the pitch bend on the synth/sampler/module to +/- 12 steps and draw the line in with Logic over a single held note? Add some mod wheel to get a waver. Or play the pitch bend wheel as well as you can then clean up the data in Logic. Hmmmm.

There's some Indian master musician here in StL that gives concerts and lessons. I can't think of his name right now, mental block. Imrat something.

Add some hammered-dulcimer and mandolin and you'd have Goa-Tekkha-Haik-Inthewoods.

Message 13/68             05-Mar-00  @  03:29 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

sitar

That is Ustad Imrat Khan!!! He's been teaching at Washington U. and University of St Louis for several years now. He was my teacher for about 17 years. I've been out of touch with him for a few years. Just had to do other things. Great human being with a tremendous sense of humor. He's the MAN.

Message 14/68             05-Mar-00  @  03:32 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

sitar

Oh yes. That is a good idea. Fixing the pitch bend in logic. I don't want to do Indian music with my synths, but those flavors could be done that way if you or anyone wants. Me...I have 4 sitars   I'd have to get my callouses back.

Message 15/68             05-Mar-00  @  10:50 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

damballah

Yeah, I was thinking the flavors, not to actually make anything "Indian."

Message 16/68             05-Mar-00  @  11:11 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

damballah

Basslines! I can't remember if it was Bernie Worrell talking about some P-Funk work, or Shock-G from Digital Underground (who samples the hell outta P-Funk)or maybe both, doing basslines on a Minimoog almost entirely with pitch bend. Rubberbandy sounding stuff. That might be a cool thing to play with in Logic's Hyper Draw, too.

Message 17/68             06-Mar-00  @  11:45 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

sitar

A few years ago I was on the subway with my sitar in case. I was on my way to a gig. This guy starts asking me about the instrument and told me that he studied south indian music in india for a while but it involved too much time and he was a trumpet player. We got off on the same stop. Saying goodbye he asked me my name. Then I asked him his. He said Don Cherry. My mouth literally dropped open and I said "YOU'RE DON CHERRY?" It was him. He used to play with Ornette Coleman for many years. I heard he died about a year later. Nice guy and he didn't look very old at all.

Hyper draw. Being new to Logic I've only tried using it once for panning and it didn't seem to work. I was trying to create motion across the stereo field for a phrase. I'll have to go back to hyperdraw and figure out what it was I was missing. It looks pretty straight forward so I don't know why it didn't respond to what I was trying to do.

Message 18/68             06-Mar-00  @  01:00 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

damballah

Don Cherry also was part of Old and New Dreams in the 80s with Charlie Haden, Dewey Redman and I forget who the fourth guy was.

Message 19/68             06-Mar-00  @  01:16 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

sitar

Shit...you know Dewey Redman, Charlie Haden? Not many people know of Dewey Redman. I saw him play at the Village Gate. The show started at around midnight and there were maybe 10 people in the audience. Nat Hentoff was there to review the show I think and fell asleep. I think it was Nat Hentoff. The bass players' name was Cyrone or Tyrone or something like that. I used to have a couple of Dewey Redmans' CDs. Ear of the Behearer was one I think. I don't know Old and New Dreams. Maybe Ed Blackwell or some other drummer. sounds like the 3 of them would have had a drummer.

Message 20/68             06-Mar-00  @  03:37 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

damballah

Yeah, it was Ed Blackwell. The band was a bunch Ornette Coleman's old sidemen after Ornette started hanging out with James Blood Ulmer, Ronald Shannon Jackson and that whole Harmelodic Jazz crowd. Anyway, Old & New Dreams put out at least 2 records on ECM back then. I used to split my listening time between punk/wave and avant garde jazz way back when.

Message 21/68             06-Mar-00  @  04:38 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

nobody

there's a restaurant called sitar in branford, CT next door to Orchard Hill natural market on Rt. 1. yep, sure is

Message 22/68             06-Mar-00  @  06:09 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

damballah

There's also one in Nashville right near Vanderbilt University. yup, uh-huh. More people down there eat at the Cracker Barrel, tho.

Message 23/68             06-Mar-00  @  06:47 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

nobody

haha! there's a cracker barrel restaurant/crapgift shop not too far away.. don no how many people eat thar tho.. kind of a truckstop type menu. strictly grease & lard ya?

great place this green one

Message 24/68             06-Mar-00  @  08:29 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

sitar

Well here we are in the music theory forum talking about sitar and cracker barrel restaurants. How do we do it? There used to be a sitar restaurant near the UN. They creep into towns like Steven King characters.

I used to listen to a lot of avant garde jazz too. Coltrane "Meditations"...everything Coltrane really..."Kulu Se Mama" Miles, Ayler, Roland-Kirk, Art Ensemble of Chicago, wish I could remember half of them. I saw Sunny Murry (Ayler's drummer) play on Halloween @ midnight in The Lady's Fort on bond street. I think I smoked some reefer with Rashid Ali outside his club one night. My friend said I had him laughing in stitches but I barely remember standing next to him. Hope he was laughing with me as opposed to at me. My friend and I bought Elvin Jones a tall scotch on his break one night and watched him drink it down like a football player downs gatorade. His hands were huge I remember. Nice to be able to share this stuff with with someone who knows all these musicians.

Message 25/68             06-Mar-00  @  08:36 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

sitar

The last 3 notes of that phrase. For anyone unfamiliar with the song, because of the contraints of a keyboard image format I couldn't go back to a previous octave in clicking a couple of notes in the phrase even though they were played that way in the song.

Message 26/68             06-Mar-00  @  10:26 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

damballah

Lester Bowie (RIP) was from here but hadn't been to his hometown in a long time. Around '85, I believe, the Art Ensemble did a show here, one of the most amazing things I've seen live, and everybody that knew Bowie as a kid showed up to hit him up for money & shit. I think he stayed away pretty much after that. Maybe a little earlier, actually, around the time of Urban Bushmen. Man, how'd you like to sample some "breakbeats" off that stuff  

Message 27/68             07-Mar-00  @  12:50 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

sitar

I saw Art Ensemble at the Kitchen in NY. I remember congas. I didn't know Lester Bowie died. Too bad. Sampling some sounds from them is a great idea. I wonder if their cds are available. Damn you were right on top of things. I didn't go much for "straight jazz". Although all of Coltranes early stuff was golden to me. He had that sound and a gift with melody. Same with Charlie Parker. But stuff like swing and big band jazz as well as modern mainstream never did it for me. Ever listen to Eric Dolphy? These people were madmen. Thelonius Monk...I must have listened to different versions of "Little Rootie Tootie" a thousand and one times. That dissonant "chord" for lack of a better word banged out on the piano 3 times between each phrase was shear genius. Cracked me up.

Message 28/68             07-Mar-00  @  08:45 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

AietaD

Thanx sitar & damballah, informative reading and the jazz stuff too.

Message 29/68             07-Mar-00  @  11:22 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

sitar

Don't mention it. Gives me a charge to talk about this stuff with someone.

Message 30/68             07-Mar-00  @  12:25 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

damballah

Yeah, sitar, Dolphy, Monk, Trane, Bird... all that stuff. Started with Bitches Brew and worked both forward and back. Never got much back past the 50s, it started sounding like "parent music." I knew a lot of people who were into that whole CTI Bob James/Grover Washington thing, but I couldn't hack that. Sounded like cocktail music for polite, well-dressed people & I liked an edge. I first got curious about Dolphy 'cause Zappa had a song on Weasels Ripped My Flesh called The Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbecue or something like that. Frank got a lot of rock fans to take a look at jazz, using players like Jean Luc Ponty and George Duke in his band, and putting out stuff like Hot Rats and The Grand Wazoo. Seduce 'em with humor and then screw with their heads.

At the Art Ensemble show I saw, everyone had percussive stuff to beat on and three of them had cages with all kinds of percussion stuff. And everyone but Bowie and the sax player (Jarman?) had on tribal face paint. Quite a experience, 'ey.

Message 31/68             07-Mar-00  @  12:27 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

damballah

Oh, yeah, Bowie passed on just this last November or December.

Message 32/68             07-Mar-00  @  04:19 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

sitar

Wasn't Malachi Favors one of the guys in the Art Ensemble? We led parallel lives. Zappa was my segue into jazz too. Mclauphlin (sp?) had something to do with it as well. And I could never get excited about that dinnermusic jazz either. Gotta run. Dentist 8(

Message 33/68             08-Mar-00  @  05:07 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

ModAsBlue

I just read someone mentioning Shakti and I had to interject...

I saw Shakti at the Detroit Orchestra Hall last year it it was by far the best concert I've ever been to in my entire life. I was totally tripping out when I left....better than any drug. It was totally amazing even though i don't really understand ragas and all of that Eastern Music formal stuff... this one drummer (not Zakir Hussien, but the other guy) made this souped up-tamborine looking thing sound like a whole drum set... 10 or more timbres and crazy 32nd notes... Zakir, at one point, did a jazz walking bass line on his tablas (out of nowhere) and they each did crazy long solos and call and response...

AMAZING...

Fuck Dave Matthews and his lame ass jam rock...

Message 34/68             18-Mar-00  @  05:23 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

Pongoid

Such a pleasure to see some rounding in this forum. From Shakti to the Art Ensemble, to some Israeli Goa cheese, WOW! Admittedly, the Indian scale systems used in making Goa trance can be quite sophisticated, by most of the listeners, and makers of this kind of music don't understand these theories, especially the sliding note stuff. It is like some of my friends have said: Israelis selling loads of acid, and playing DATs and traveling the world and being utter nazis about this music. Another things that irks me about Goa trance is the rythmic dynamics, or rather lack thereof. Sorry to bitch about this artform, but the whole energy surround this music, from the desecration of Goa and it's people to the attitudes and actions of its proponents around the world, drives me up the wall. The tranceheads on the oher side of the planet are exactly the same as at home. I'm trying not to be hateful, but they make it difficult. Oh well, I like traditional Indian music, but this bastard Goa trance shit is for the birds.

Ape

Message 35/68             18-Mar-00  @  06:00 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

nobody

birds seem to make some really beautiful music. to my ear at least.. i guess i really used to like planet b.e.n. & transient guys, nervasystem, doof, orichalcum, a lot them goa peoples......... give me some high powered hallucinogenics & the goa records are all over my turntables. otherwise, they'll just sit in the cardboard boxes like they always do, over in another room.... ba..

Message 36/68             18-Mar-00  @  02:37 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

damballah

Yeah, we did veer off course there a bit, 'ey?

Message 37/68             19-Mar-00  @  08:44 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

Pongoid

What makes Goa Trance is a couple of slick arpeggiated lines of an approximation of and Indian mode on a 303 trough some delays and really clean production with a shitty rythmic line, and some cheesey mgovie samles thrown in for even poorer measure. Show me different and I may feel otherwise. Well it's that and the tranceheads that worship the shit that make it what it is. Get over Goa. It's dead. Let it be that way. It was fresh and innovative 8 years ago. It's not anymore. Let it go and move on.

Ape

Message 38/68             25-Mar-00  @  07:25 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

ahmebah

'tis the same with damn near anything... Just remember, at one time, even cheesy vocal house music was a new,cool,underground thing.

It's so much work to stay ahead of the crowd, ahead of the crap, ahead of the fucking wankers trying to make a buck off a bunch of drugged up raver kiddies...

Message 39/68             11-Apr-00  @  07:13 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

FreddyFresh

i've learned a lot from this thread so i'll stop it from disapearing

Message 40/68             17-Apr-00  @  08:11 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

neil_chambers

This is my take on it, and what I tend to use to approach it:

Scales: Other than using a variety of minor scales as described above, you can use pretty much any scale with a bit of chromaticism thrown in at the wnd of the riff, usually with some portamento. It's not like the writers know fuck all about scales is it?

Chord progressions: not much going on here but avoid the 4 chord cheesey progs of progressive trance.

Sounds: 909 drums, distorted 303s for leads and Juno sounds for basslines. Quite of few of those otherwise useless "FX" sounds you have lying around.

Those trancey/acid arpeggios: Write a short (4 or 5 notes over 1 bar) little tune (let's say it starts on "C"), not go into the editor and set it all to 16ths. Fill in any empty 16th notes with "C"'s an octave above or below the root note of your tune. This will give you that pacey arp you hear which sounds a lot more complex than it is. Give it a bit of ping-pong echo (left set to quarter notes and right to 8ths), distortion and filtersweep and you are there!

Vocals: some bird dreamily harping on about the earth radiating mystic energy etc normally goes down well with the disenfranchised white middle-class audience who are dying to be told their drug induced philosophies which allow them to spend their inheritance on an extended pilled up beach holiday is not only good but deeply spiritual (this is the bit I don't like about Goan trance!)

If the guy who asked this is really interested I will mail him with some MIDI parts! Not that I am saying what I do is authentic!

N

Message 41/68             17-Apr-00  @  01:04 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

k

man that is Toooo funny !!.. don't forget you have to sell 'CHAI' - heh heh.... and lots of fluro.. and mebbe some dreadlocks....Oh.. and old army boots.. ha ha... (& dont forget the parachutes)... and a degree in 'sociology' helps

Message 42/68             05-Mar-02  @  05:38 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

damballah

back on top. some info in this thread, brett.

Message 43/68             05-Mar-02  @  06:04 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

milan

wow. a really great thread. thanks for digging it up d!

not so much for goa trance, but for all the other good stuff in there. you know, i envy those whose knowledge of music is so advanced...

Message 44/68             10-Mar-02  @  11:31 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

Brett B

thanks Damballah, I have enough now to point me where I needed to go.

Message 45/68             12-Mar-02  @  01:18 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

sitar

You always see girls dancing in cages at these clubs....goa goa dancers.

Message 46/68             12-Mar-02  @  04:18 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

Brett B

that's pretty good!

Message 47/68             30-Mar-02  @  09:30 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

johanlevelone

cheap sounds !

Message 48/68             31-Mar-02  @  01:19 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

Pongoid

That I cannot necessarily agree with. Although rythmicly it's boring, and the dynamics are flat, and the melodies typical of the style, and not very inventive, I find some of the sounds to be absolutley amazing at times in Goa. That is the ONLY reason I don't write it off as uncreative crap. What makes Goa Goa is that it adheres to a certain set of sonic aesthetics established and popularized by snobbish wankers with an overdeveloped sense of mock-spirituality, inflated egos, and horrible dress sense in Goa India.

Ape

Message 49/68             06-Apr-02  @  10:34 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

Pongoid

Get that?

Message 50/68             06-Apr-02  @  05:30 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

xoxos

don't know goa really really, but i reckon you're dead on, knowing people. it's like make-up.. most effective if used only to draw attention to attractive features. the music may be crap, but the customer's only thinking about the tweaks. and so the human race perpetuates a race of people with stinking ignorant mouths and great asses  

Message 51/68             06-Apr-02  @  08:26 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

Pongoid

gotta love the latter.

Message 52/68             06-Apr-02  @  10:20 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

xoxos

and got to do something about the former  

Message 53/68             07-Apr-02  @  11:00 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

Pongoid

It's called tekno, and I've been trying for years.

Message 54/68             07-Apr-02  @  03:06 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

xoxos

love the spelling  

Message 55/68             07-Apr-02  @  03:23 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

Pongoid

That's how they do it here in Europe for the most part. Very rarely do folks spell it otherwise. In the States it's with a 'ch', but I'm not there right now.  

Ape

Message 56/68             07-Apr-02  @  08:08 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

damballah

how about "what would it take to make goa goa way?"

Message 57/68             07-Apr-02  @  08:36 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

xoxos

teknology (also tecnology  "the scientific study of children" innit  

Message 58/68             08-Apr-02  @  09:50 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

Maarten

I'm noticing in NL that when they speak of techno it's the groovy/minimal/funky yet hard kinda stuff... and when they speak of tekno, you can expect F#$ing hard, nearly undanceable music, no running water, heavily intoxicated people and dogs walking around here -and there. I prefer the last bit.

-M-

Message 59/68             08-Apr-02  @  09:52 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

Maarten

Come to think of it, the dogs bit I find pretty sad actually... I sometimes can't help but wonder if it's not unintended torture to their ears.

Message 60/68             08-Apr-02  @  04:03 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

damballah

wouldn't torture a dog's ears as much as Mariah Carey would. f*in' ouch!

Message 61/68             08-Apr-02  @  07:55 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

milan

i second what Maarten said: around here people who say 'tekno' usually mean acid/ardkore/gabber.

free tekno! free party! free... willy!

you know the style  

Cheers, M.

Message 62/68             09-Apr-02  @  03:07 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

sitar

Tekno is all kinds of stuff I think now. Everything from Mills to Prodigy to Orbital is considered under that umbrella. I think there's tekno in the broad term and tekno in the less broad term. Some fellow dissed a track I had put up as being weak-ass tekno and told me to listen to a list of artists. I listened to some of them. It wasn't at all the kind of music I'm looking to write at the moment but it was tekno. Genres are confusing sometimes. Certainly that guy had a narrower description of tekno.

But this is a goa thread. Had the tekno track been goa instead, the guy would have said it was "a week a goa".

Message 63/68             13-Apr-02  @  08:02 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

brett

my buddy and i were playing at a club/bar the other night abd this girl came up and asked if all we played was techno. My freind said, "first this isn't techno, we play house, and second, what do you want to hear?" she said . "i like the music up front" he laughed and said"then just go back up front then!" she stormed off. it was funny. they play pop and rock up in the front bar and he does progressive in the back. People who haven't have come up on this stuff don't understand it and mmost likely won't unless they have freinds to break it down for them and take the to teach them about it. I could fill an entire semester with the history of modern dance music going back to disco and moving into the origins of house that came from that, and the "techno" that emerged from Kraftwerkian stuff. From there it splinters into a million directions. From hip hopers sampling kraftwerk, to belgian new beat sampling the hiphopers and putting it to acid grooves in the late 80's. even the industrial stuff had scratching in it. So everything funky influenced everything else. Trance can be traced back to tangerine dreams's rubicon albumn. There is a cool documentary from the BBC called the history of rock and roll, vol 10 "the perfect beat" talks about the shift from disco and punk to funky drum machine driven beats. Kraftwerk, new order, africa bambata etc. interesting.

but think about daed styles that have come and gone.

remember new beat, hard floor, grind, acid house

but reailize the sounds of those are still prevelent in todays stuff.

it's funny, because after my buddy sent that chick off mad, i said "well, ya know she is right, this is tech house, some of it" and it sounds an aful like the stuff i called techno 12 years ago. I have crates full of this old 80's techno that only a few cities in the states ever even listend to. San Fran, NY, Chigago, and thanks to bruce at record rack, Houston. I talked with Art at Razormaid(the ultimate remix dj service in the 80's) and he said that a large majority of their sales came from houston and cities in Texas. It really doesn't matter, but I would be much happier if the kids spinning knew more about the roots of the music they play and listen too. I guess I just feel like this underground stuff has no begining and no end to them and that real history is being lost and forgoten.

Message 64/68             14-Apr-02  @  12:07 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

matt

right on brett.

I did enjoy reading Dan Sickos book "tekno rebel's" , i think tho..it came short..sorta like just a briefing of the techno history..or something...

I didnt know goa still existed :P

Message 65/68             15-Apr-02  @  06:23 AM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

Brett B

but who was the author who coined the phrase techno. I can't remember but it was a techno-pop comment that started the use of the term. I'll check out that book.

It's funny, how genre's stay the same but the name for it changes. I hear deep house now and it's called techno in the stores and becoming less common to even hear played. Just repetative acid lines and loops and noise. We called it acid house in the 80's and then it was deep house in the 90's, We never used the word techno. we said alternative dance, or the actual style....like NewBeat, Or Nu-wave or acid etc. techno has always been a main stream way of grouping it all together until recently when I saw the term was being used at record stores to describe what used to be called deep house which went through a period when it was called hard house in the 90's. Tracks being released on the razormaid gridlock series from 90-94. This stuff was straight up techno, and rave"let's rock" or "james brown is dead", and "I am the one and only dominator".
I guess when I hear the word techno , I think of this old rave stuff. Hell, my favorate label in the late 80's was TechnoDromeInternational. So the term got played by both listeners and record labels. So it's easy to see It misused.

What it boils down to, is that the last thing everyone into underground wants, is for normal mainstream people to be into what they are. So the evolution and continuous redefining is what makes it so confusing to the masses and the music evolves and changes as well. It's all part of the comrodery that exists in the depths of the dark clubs and keeps the timid and closed minded at the "clean well lighted place".

Message 66/68             19-Apr-02  @  08:17 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

sitar

Anything to do with "MUSIC NON-STOP. TECHNO-POP"? A nice little chune by Kraftwerk.

Message 67/68             23-Apr-02  @  06:25 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

Brett

that track is tight, but it came later in 1988.
in 1978 "trans Europe Express" was the one that blew everyones minds, because no one had ever done anything like it. Egyptian chords and funky hip-hop style drum machines, with synth stabs run through vocoders. It was the original slow version. They rereleased it in 1989 and then in 92' again , both faster remixes more along the electro-funk lines of what the original song inpsired in the few years that followed. The style didn't really begin to gain any attetion until 1982 or so when all the parks, subways and streets had kids on card board breaking to it. But electro came on pretty strong with all the original artists sampling the shit out of that kraftwerk record, or steeling chords etc. Like egyptian lover, nucleus, afrika bambata, houdini, afro rican, dj majic mic, etc etc...

Message 68/68             03-May-02  @  12:42 PM   -   RE: What makes Goa, Goa

sitar

I've heard of but never have heard trans europe express. should get my hands on it.

Viewing all 68 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7

There are 68 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)