aaa what's up with beginners? - Theory / composition / technique forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: what's up with beginners?

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6             07-Feb-01  @  05:41 AM   -   what's up with beginners?

knoxd43

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

What up y'all! i am a dance music lover just like everyone of you and this is my situation: Since i started listening to electronica i've had this need to play and experiment with sounds but spinning and trying different stuff on ACID 2.0(Techno) is as far as i've got.I am totally down to spend time and money to learn
all kinds of stuff of how to produce and use all kind of gear to improve my sound and give a little of shape to musical imagination.Oh ! and by the way i dont know how to play any musical instrument;is that a big CON?
i TRULY HOPE THAT ANY OF YOU GUYS OUT THERE CAN GIVE ME AN ADVICE. LATES!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/6             07-Feb-01  @  05:42 AM   -   what's up with beginners?

knoxd43

What up y'all! i am a dance music lover just like everyone of you and this is my situation: Since i started listening to electronica i've had this need to play and experiment with sounds but spinning and trying different stuff on ACID 2.0(Techno) is as far as i've got.I am totally down to spend time and money to learn
all kinds of stuff of how to produce and use all kind of gear to improve my sound and give a little of shape to musical imagination.Oh ! and by the way i dont know how to play any musical instrument;is that a big CON?
i TRULY HOPE THAT ANY OF YOU GUYS OUT THERE CAN GIVE ME AN ADVICE. LATES!!!

Message 3/6             07-Feb-01  @  11:45 AM   -   RE: what's up with beginners?

pict

I would advise you to get a keyboard synth controller like maybe a CS1X by Yamaha it would be a good starter synth that would enable you to come up with your own melody lines and rhythms.I think you would get much more satisfaction from that than just cutting and pasting loops a synth keyboard is a much better way of inputting musical data than the computer keyboard and mouse.Failing that you could get the Orion Program which is cheap but very good how much money do you want or have to spend?Learning to play a musical instrument is a very good idea if you want to produce music although you can get by these days using acid and such like programs but if you want to really get into music learning a real instrument is the best way.This is only my opinion other people will differ.

Message 4/6             11-Feb-01  @  01:25 PM   -   RE: what's up with beginners?

sarevok

yeah like pict says get yourself a keyboard, i started just using acid but on the advice of a friend got myself a roland d10. i'm using it with cubase to sequence the sounds. like you i don't play any instruments but i've found a keyboard gives me more creative potential
regards anthony

Message 5/6             22-Feb-01  @  03:58 AM   -   RE: what's up with beginners?

DJ-TransMission

Link?: Link

If your a beginner, I would differ from the previous advice given and would recommend getting a Yamaha RM1x, or one of the Roland MC series groove boxes. Yeah, you're going to have to spend some money, but you get what you pay for. Acid is great for quantizing and sequencing your stuff from an original source, but never rely on software to do everything for you. Good Luck Bro,
Laterz, Transmission

Message 6/6             22-Feb-01  @  03:49 PM   -   RE: what's up with beginners?

jaskim

Link?:  Link

If you are a beginner and not sure if you want to get serious, get Rebirth first and see if you can make some convincing beats step-sequencing. You will learn a lot about placement and programming. Especially since you don't 'play' any instruments. Frankly I do not believe one necessarily needs to be able to play in the traditional sense to make great electronic music, if you have a sound in your head, it will find it's way out... Times have changed. but definitely find your style of making patterns with a drum machine or rebirth before shelling out.

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)