aaa jungle beats - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: jungle beats

Viewing all 42 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5

Original Message 1/42             11-Aug-99  @  04:15 PM   -   jungle beats

phlow

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

lo.. could someone please post a d&b or jungle beat for me to learn from?
thanks
ian

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/42             14-Aug-99  @  12:13 AM   -   RE: jungle beats

k

File?:  File

12time.mid

BEATS 1 0 0 0  |  2 0 0 0  |  3 0 0 0  |  4 0 0 0
kik 1 0 0 0  |  0 0 1 0  |  0 0 0 0  |  1 0 0 0
drum 1 0 1 0  |  1 0 1 0  |  1 0 1 0  |  1 0 1 0
accent 1 0 0 0  |  0 0 1 0  |  0 0 0 0  |  1 0 1 0
raga+kik 0 0 0 0  |  0 0 0 0  |  1 0 0 0  |  0 0 0 0

well, the thing is this... alot of jungle now uses straight drumbeats... but, the KEY to jungle is 3 time.... like, in reggae, you get a 3 time break... this eveloved into ragga, which was 3 time accented thruout... so the key is... you need to count...123-123-12 - 123-123-12....

thing is, a huge amount of african music is 3 time, and this carried over into music like Blues.. a typical old blues riff has a 3 time beat on the ride or hats, while the kik and snare use a 4 time... same in flamenco... which is again influenced by arab music... it all binds together, cos 3 & 4 are all devisible and work out as long as you accent it right and add in some 1/2 beats of 2 to round it up to 4, 8, 16 etc...... as in 3+3+2=8 or 3+3+3+3+2+2=16

flamenco uses this beat: 123-123-123-12-12...it is a 12 time derivative.. but again, the key is 3 time.. most african & arabic persian, egyptian etc music uses 3 time...

in your typical reggea 3 time break, it is an 8 beat break in triplets over a single bar at double-time.... so... to make a full bar of 4/4 - 3time break... you get...:

123-123-12.. makes 8 total... in reggea, as a drummer, you'll bust 8 of those in succession with a roll out at the end, and a small roll possibly between each set of 4... you roll out into the drop beat again at which point, the tempo halves again.... when you roll out into the beat, the trplet is the feel for the hats.. and the kik & snare then double-up...

like, you know in jungle alot of the time the bassline is half the tempo of the beat.... hence jungle is tempo's at 2 x the standard reggea average tempo (around 80bpm)...

so... first you need the 3 time break.... this is the whole basis for the jungle feel.... here's a file above of a 3 time break over 2 bars...
understand that.. and you have jungle... all you do is fill in the spaces between snare beats to make faster roll variation... ITS ALL DOWN TO THE ACCENTED OFFBEATS WHICH MAKE IT ... also, add-in extra kik-drums... just open the file in your sequencer, then try adding in ONE extra kik-drum in different places to get different variations... try the extra kiks and when you get the idea, you'll be sailing...

in one Ghanaian riddim this beat is sung as something like:

can-i-have-some-more-please

can-i-have-some-more-please

yes---you-------can

yes---you-------can
or...

123-123-12

123-123-12

1---2----3

1---2----3

listen to the file, and all will be clear...

the pattern below needs accents to make it work... accent on the second drum is added in the grid

notice how the kik drum accents the 3 time beats... and also remember, the second key is the bassline, which is played at half the tempo...

all in all, i reckon this is die to the creation of jungle as being from a DJ playing on one deck an old bub-line, and on the other, a breakbeat played at doubletime from an album played at 45rpm... from there, you simply 'Push' the break beat or fast-fade it in the traditional dub-style to get the breakbeat accent...

fast-fading is the origin of the threetime break in dub... in the old days, you'd get a dub running on the mixer, grab the master fader, and 'PUMP' it.. in that riddim...

fade-2-3 / fade-2-3 / fade-2

fade-2-3 / fade-2-3 / fade-2

... like that... then drummers started doing it live... and this became ragga....

anyways... listen to the file, and you'll get it ok....

ive added in the old Mighty-Diamonds bassline from 'Pass-the-kootchie' (or however the hell you spell it), just to give you an idea of the bassline tempo... (well, it's pretty close to the bassline from that song anyways)...

Message 3/42             14-Aug-99  @  12:29 AM   -   RE: jungle beats

k

by the way.... triplet delay is a MUST to give a rolling feel.... also you can grab an old funky drumloop (any old crap)... and chop it up in cake/logic/vst etc... then copy/drag the chopped parts around so that the accents above are the start-points for the chopped file.. overlay that ontop of some midi beat, and you geta smooth cool layer.. or just use chopped loop...

Message 4/42             14-Aug-99  @  12:45 AM   -   RE: jungle beats

k

Link?: Link

there ya go... there's a snippet from some cheezy jungle cd... but you can clearly hear the accented:

123-123-12

Message 5/42             17-Aug-99  @  07:42 PM   -   RE: jungle beats

errata

Great info K! I've never been able to explain this stuff without a drum kit/machine in the room.

Here's mine, though.
It's a simple tech-step jungle thing. I agree, I'm hearing more and more sequenced sounds for D$B and less sampled breaks, much cleaner feel, really. But it's nice to try the hand at both...

Across the loop It simply goes:

Kick-hat-snare Kick-hat-snare kick-kick. (or like k says...1,2,3 1,2,3 1,2...) A sampled break to repalce the kick kick in the fourth bar will spice it up and give it that jungle flavah.

Slightly randomizing both the pitch (just a little) and the velocity of the snare gives it a natural feel...Bot I wouldn't screw around with the kick...

Also, evry other pass might get a reverse of the sampled break at the end for a change up...double time a ride snare over the loop for more of a frantic feel...

Message 6/42             20-Aug-99  @  04:00 PM   -   RE: jungle beats

droon

this is just one that comes to mind...
the theorie wuz very interresting but i just sing breaks in the shower and then write'em down.
the way i see it, it all revolves around the snare. kick make the groove and hihats fill it up.
the basic is: O~°~~O°~

Message 7/42             22-Aug-99  @  08:16 AM   -   RE: jungle beats

k

true, but the basic rool is what im giving the guy cos he doesnt get it at all, you gotta get the feel for it before you can freestyle

Message 8/42             23-Aug-99  @  01:18 AM   -   RE: jungle beats

eurikon

You guys are really funny in here , i've been making music for a long while now (15 years) and i didn't have a clue that shhhtuff like this ....ehhm how you call it?? ah yeah ... 'message board' with seqence table ... that this shtuff was going on . Anyway i'm glad for the newbies, and those who haven't found there rythmic feels yet . Now you guys can actually learn from others just by looking at the screen... hehehe
Butt never the less aint nothing like learning it the realway ON A F**CKING DRUM MACHINE or behind a SET OF FUCKING REAL DRUMS.... otherwise you will NEVER get the real vibes into your SOUL ..... says me AbOriginal goodluck 2 yah all. (remember those days on the ATARI :-) )

Message 9/42             23-Aug-99  @  11:29 AM   -   RE: jungle beats

k

like it says on the intro page... LEARN to play drums... although ive expressed it somewhat differently

Message 10/42             06-Sep-99  @  07:13 PM   -   drum and bass production

bruceleehifi

Hello,

I have some questions for you all, please help me if you can... I'm interested in producing some drum and bass, more on the intelligent side (squarepusher, amon tobin, friend, etc.) and some dub with indian/middle-eastern influences (suns of arka, alpha and omega, artists on the baraka/wordsound labels, etc). As far as equipment I have a pentium iii 550 computer with 128 MB ram, 20 GB fast IDE hard-drive, and cd rewriteable drive; a pentium 120 laptop computer; an alesis midiverb effects rack; some effects pedals (delay, flange, wah); some nice mikes; and various instruments (melodica, tabla, guitar, bass, turntables). For sample editing I have wavelab, soundforge, and recycle. As far as sequencing-type programs I have Cubase VST, Cakewalk, Samplitude, and Acid. The most basic, fundamental question I have is which of these programs do you think I should learn to use as a base for building up my tracks? Or is there some other program which you recommend instead? I'm sure they are all utilizable, but I would like to learn the one which will be most practical for what I have in mind (i.e. jungle and dub). I would like to become proficient at one of them, but I don't know which would be the best choice - what do most other electronic producers use as far as pc software? Also, how do I go about making my own devastating basslines? For example, I would like to layer some old school Urdu poetry over some phat Ed Rush/Optical style basslines... But I have no idea of how to create basslines... How about the breaks, can I tweak around with samples, or do I need some sort of drum machine as well? What other equipment do you all think would be useful for me - i am trying to budget some money and want to build up things in some logical sequence. Do you think that I need a sampler, keyboard, workstation, novation bassstation, etc? How about a mixing board - like a mackie board or something? Or can I do everything with my computer system(s) (laptop and desktop?) and keep things more sample based? Or perhaps integrate some sort of software synths? I don't know much about the production side, but have a lot of ideas and would like to start producing some thick tracks, with the ultimate goal of releasing them on some stateside record labels. Great, I really appreciate any advice!

Thanks.

khenu singh

Please E-mail at:

bruceleehifi@hotmail.com

Message 11/42             12-Sep-99  @  08:23 AM   -   RE: jungle beats

chemical

Yer dude, with electronic composition there's a perception that there isn't really any music there. THe more I work on stuff the more musical it becomes. People don't just buy an instrument and play whatever is 'in', be it jazz, classical, blues, whatever.

THe programs and the toolz are (now) hardware for musicians. REmember when u used to think that you friend doing paino lessons was a dick?

note: this does not apply to the entry above, just a general comment spark by it.

Message 12/42             12-Sep-99  @  11:59 AM   -   RE: jungle beats

k

you also don't list any soundmaking equipment... so what will make the drums, basslines, synthsounds etc?? regardless of all the s/w you have, you need some sound sources

Message 13/42             14-Sep-99  @  07:33 AM   -  

bruceleehifi

As far as soundmaking equipment, I mentioned that I have (and play) the tabla (indian classical percusion), melodica (instrument played in dub/reggae ala Augustus Pablo), classical/electric/acoustic guitars, electric bass, and turntables. At this point I have been layering samples in cubase for a few days now and recording my tabla and melodica through various effects (flange, delay,, etc.) to layer on top of the breaks... Between my partner and I, we have some good material for samples - rare recordings of Nehru, old dub/roots reggae seven inches, north indian poetry and classical music, old jazz records, african drumming, etc. My questions were (1) regarding the choice of software for producing the music I have mentioned in my prior posting (abstract drum and bass, indian/middle eastern flavoured dub), and (2) what other equipment would be useful as far as tone/breakbeat generation and production? Do I need a drum machine, a bass station, or a synthesizer - or can I sample breaks from various records and instruments and tweak them, sample myself and friends for bass and drums (e.g.) on electric bass and drums), and work with samples alone - at least to start with?

Message 14/42             16-Sep-99  @  10:59 AM   -   RE: jungle beats

matt_venn

with your phat computer you can use soft synths to get some original sources, then fuck these over in your other packages and lay it down in your sequencer.
one to definately try out is generator (by native instruments) as this is rudeboy. you can simulate anything you want, and for bass lines, play low and through some distortion units. (also available within generator). i still get latency with it (so when i press a key it takes about 40ms) for it to make a noise, but you can control it in your sequencer, and if necessary hard disk record it.
outboard gear is always worth having, as it doesnt crash, always works, sounds cool. its also easier to get things down quickly, then mess till its right. this isnt to say that you cant do it on a computer, but i wouldnt rush into buying any hardware. check out unity (a software sampler) as well. native instruments also do reaktor, which is a cross between a sampler and a synth - v. powerful. but will take some learning to get the most out of it. i'd go round a mates house and let him/her show you what they do, then you can see whether you need to buy any 'real' hardware. if you are going to make just one buy, then consider getting a _very_ fat sampler eg. emu64k (or new emu ultra 5000) as these offer fat sampling and also the power of a synth, all with fx and very expandable.
well, hope thats been some help. if you want more just do a search for drum and bass and you'll get _loads_ of hits with sites giving advice on you how to do this and that.
laters Matt

Message 15/42             19-Sep-99  @  03:03 PM   -   RE: jungle beats

zhourenn

i'm in china,i don't konw jungle music.pepole in here
hear nothing about it.i want konw a less.what software
you use to make jungle music, what machine you think
is the fisrt choose.i only have a computer&keybord ,
and a sampler ,i don't have a lot of money.

Message 16/42             19-Sep-99  @  06:48 PM   -   RE: jungle beats

k

that is all you need a sequencer & sampler is enuff to get going

Message 17/42             22-Sep-99  @  11:04 AM   -   RE: jungle beats

so you fancy yourself as a bit of a Talvin Singh! Well asian drum and bass does seem to be 'in fashion' at the moment. I'm actually really glad that guy won the mercury music prize...he's been around for years but has'nt gained an amazing amount of recognition until now.
I like the idea of putting Urdu poetry over a devastating Ed Rush style b-line...original.
Get a sampler such as a Akai s3000xl or an A3000 which I have. I prefer the a3000 as it gives you lots of effects to mess around with, leaving less of a need to buy more outboard effects processors.
You can do everything from a decent sampler. You will also need a decent mixer though to start...try anything from 12:2 upwards.

Message 18/42             01-Oct-99  @  07:49 AM   -   RE: jungle beats

Kitpu

Hello world:
Can anyone help me to get my computer and keyboard talking to one another? I have Cubasis AV installed as well as Cake Walk home studio, and also Sound forge. I would really like to start using them but I don't know how. channel 1?, program 1? configure? go figure? I get lost. between reading the manuel for the software and for the keyboard...who knows? there must be an easy way. four steps would be nice. any tips from all you veteranss out there?

Message 19/42             01-Oct-99  @  10:09 PM   -   RE: jungle beats

teknohype

ok now, this question has been been boggling my mind since i began listenin to drum n bass about 4 years ago...
Do most drum n bass producers use drum machines? or do they just do some great innovative sampling? how does it work??

what types of drum machines and samplers are best fit for drum n bass/jungle ? and where can i get samples of these drum machine hits to use with a computer based drum sequencer?

so many questions, but i must ask one more...what are dubplates?

the young and ever curious drum n bass fan,
-bay

Message 20/42             06-Oct-99  @  09:06 AM   -   RE: jungle beats

raver

I've recently bought a S3000XL and I was thinking of maybe doing some jungle tracks. I've mainly been doing house/trance style stuff recently. My question is this. You've all heard the type of effect where you hear a vocal then the vocal stuttered. It's commonly used. I was just wondering do you use two samples, one unstuttered the other stuttered? Or can you use one sample and have it have different enevlope settings, therefore getting the stuttering effect? Hopefully I've explained this clearly enough for someone to understand. Thanks for any help!

Steve

Message 21/42             06-Oct-99  @  10:35 AM   -   RE: jungle beats

matt venn

yo steve,
i can think of 2 fx that you mean.
one is really long time stretching of a sample which breaks it all up like you say. on your akai, record you saying something then go to dsp and timestretch like 800% cyclic lowest quality. is this it?
if the stuttering is in time with the beats, then its probably been cut up in an audio editor (or played back cutup or gated in a sequencer)
in soundforge theres a tool called gapper/snipper that does this. have a play with that.
is the vocal sound complete, but split up? or is it incomplete, with bits cut out?
if its the latter then you can use a gate to do the effect.

Message 22/42             06-Oct-99  @  01:57 PM   -   RE: jungle beats

raver

It's a complete vocal. So I can apply timestretch to a sample at certain points and not at others? I quess I would make to programs, one with the sample stretched one without? Thanks for the prompt reply.

Message 23/42             17-Oct-99  @  04:51 PM   -   RE: jungle beats

sage

Link?:  Link

File?:  File

jungle.mid

BEATS 1 0 0 0  |  2 0 0 0  |  3 0 0 0  |  4 0 0 0
kik 1 0 0 0  |  0 0 0 0  |  0 0 1 0  |  0 0 0 0
snare 0 0 0 0  |  1 0 0 0  |  0 0 0 0  |  1 0 0 0
drum(bs) 0 0 0 0  |  0 0 1 0  |  0 0 0 0  |  0 0 1 1
clhats 1 0 1 0  |  0 1 1 1  |  1 1 0 0  |  1 0 1 0

here is another beat, i think it can be called jungle...

Message 24/42             23-Oct-99  @  08:33 PM   -   RE: jungle beats

Kilo

DO NOT fuckin put Urdu script over breaks. It wore thin 3 years ago and will lead U nowhere. Talvin Singh is a twat. I`m not Asian but if I was I would B offended that people thought U had 2 do that 4 it 2 B the "Sound of Anglo Asia". Asians have been making dance music 4 years. Get some ideas of your own 4 fux sake.

Message 25/42             24-Oct-99  @  08:05 PM   -   RE: jungle beats

sox

Hear Hear!!!!
Check Asian Dub Foundation if you want to hear how it should be done.

sox

Message 26/42             24-Oct-99  @  10:04 PM   -   RE: jungle beats

kilo - the real one

yeah well try getting your own fucking handle first youve got a bloody cheek telling people to be original whilst using my posting name... - I dont find that amusing

Message 27/42             25-Oct-99  @  10:00 AM   -   RE: jungle beats

The other Kilo

Look mate, I`m not tryin` 2 impersonate anyone here. Kilo has been my tag 4 9 years, I`ve only jus` found this site so when I saw someone who`s handle was "K" how am I supposed 2 know that means Kilo? As I said B4 in the other post I dont mean any offence n ill jus use my email in future. Maybe U should B sure of yer facts in future, Ill bet i`ve been using the tag longer than U have. Oh yeah, Asian Dub Foundation R doin` it right now.

Message 28/42             25-Oct-99  @  11:02 AM   -   RE: jungle beats

The other Kilo (again 4 the last time)

Ok, I ve changed my mind instead of my email address Im gonna use another old schoolboy tag "R-Tek". As i said, no offence intended.

Message 29/42             25-Oct-99  @  01:20 PM   -   RE: jungle beats

k

ok, sorry for being raggy mate - no probs - hope you can stick around and enjoy the site

Message 30/42             25-Oct-99  @  03:25 PM   -   RE: jungle beats

R-Tek

No problem, I honestly didnt realise. Im already enjoyin the site by the way.

Message 31/42             25-Oct-99  @  03:52 PM   -   RE: jungle beats

R-Tek

1 more thing. U wanna take my IP an` email address off the MUSIC/TECH board now? Cheers (and thats "Master Arse" 2 U)

Message 32/42             25-Oct-99  @  10:48 PM   -   RE: jungle beats

k

fuck me - what are you on !!! tht's you as well is it... tsk tsk... (teeth kissing)

Message 33/42             26-Oct-99  @  10:26 AM   -   RE: jungle beats

R-Tek

Well, I dunno if thats my IP or not, I jus` assumed it was because of the little misunderstanding. What else am I supposed 2 have done now?

Message 34/42             26-Oct-99  @  10:22 PM   -   RE: jungle beats

k

the only IP up there is someone going by the name of 'ARSE' - who's posted alot of dumn-shit comments around the various forums - i just asked him to stop wasting server space -

Message 35/42             27-Oct-99  @  09:59 AM   -   RE: jungle beats

R-Tek

Oh, sorry I jus` assumed it was mine because of...well u know. Not guilty (for once). There was a good little string of messages goin on here till I turned up (apologies).

Message 36/42             27-Oct-99  @  01:20 PM   -   RE: jungle beats

Pongoid

Loks like somebody's touched on your soft spot, K. Don't think I've ever heard you drop the knowledge so thoroughly. So K's a junglist. Hmmm. Who would have thought?  

Ape

Message 37/42             27-Oct-99  @  08:21 PM   -   RE: jungle beats

atombom

Anyone got any good formulas for getting overtones on bass sounds? The fundamental frequencies are all you need but its nice to have a little personality in the sound. I use tools like BigMuff pi distortion with tons of compression and EQ, the "Shaper" in the Access Virus, and the Frequency Modulation in the Nords. Also let us know if you have any info on what certain big boys use.

Message 38/42             27-Oct-99  @  08:32 PM   -   RE: jungle beats

k

that Talvin Sing comment above is from the other new kilo not me -

Message 39/42             28-Oct-99  @  03:58 PM   -   RE: jungle beats

Pongoid

Of course one good way to do it, is to have one osc set to a PW, with an LFO controlling PW, also a second osc, sync'd and cross-mod'ed to a third osc, then by adjusting the various levels of the osc's sent to overdrive the filter, and by varying the tunings you can get some pretty serious sound, and if you want to get even more freaky, obviously you could modulate the filter wita second LFO, and maybe get the amounts and rates of the LFO's controlled by any number of sources.
What do you mean by 'Big Boys'?  

Good luck.

Ape

Message 40/42             28-Oct-99  @  06:02 PM   -   RE: jungle beats

atombom

So basicaly you are using a combination of many standard synth mods and sources at once? I'd like to hear what the tone is that you are thinking of. What is the tuning relationship between the oscillators?

Often times my severely modulated patches end up sounding too complex and muddy. I usually set it up so that I'm Modulating within a very limited range to tickle a short range of harmonics out of my distortion or Virus shaper. It ends up being simple but easy to manipulate and better for the overall mix.

By big boys I just mean famous folks with recognizable sound characters.

Message 41/42             01-Nov-99  @  09:43 PM   -   RE: jungle beats

jwa

Does anyone have any thoughts on the MPC2000XL? How good is it? I am wanting to produce old school jungle sounds... ie - tunes like "hyper on experience" on shadow. Is the MPC2000XL good for this kind of thing?

Does anyone have any good recommendations for what equipment would be good ie - drum machine or sampler for producing a wide range of sounds?

Someone has informed me that the MPC2000XL is easy to use and you can basically take the sounds from any drum machine.

Anyway your input is appreciated.

Thanks Cal.

Message 42/42             08-Nov-99  @  01:12 PM   -   RE: jungle beats

MDA

Which software drumachines do you (all) use?
I´m using Hammerhead and Drumbox...both is free and kicks ass
but now I want a hardware drummachine...
any típs?

Viewing all 42 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5

There are 42 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)