aaa Older Hip Hop Breaks - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Older Hip Hop Breaks

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             29-Oct-99  @  04:07 PM   -   Older Hip Hop Breaks

raver

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I was wondering if someone could post the steps for some of the older style of breakbeat. I'm talking the breakdancing heyday type stuff. Like stuff dj's would spin during battles and what not. Not the current hip-hop style but the style that sorta has evolved into the electro sound/funky breatbeat style. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             04-Nov-99  @  12:11 PM   -   RE: Older Hip Hop Breaks

k

ive got hours of that shit - im just looking for server space to upload it all -

Message 3/10             04-Nov-99  @  12:12 PM   -   RE: Older Hip Hop Breaks

k

there is some in the FILES area - scroll down the page and look for the SAMPLES link - i put about 20 breaks in there I think, old skool

Message 4/10             13-Nov-99  @  07:37 PM   -   RE: Older Hip Hop Breaks

Delta Sleep

heres a really basic one

Message 5/10             15-Nov-99  @  08:31 AM   -   RE: Older Hip Hop Breaks

captinrugburn

here is a little beat

Message 6/10             18-Nov-99  @  06:45 PM   -   RE: Older Hip Hop Breaks

k

just use ANYTHING as a loop or sound that has a beat or feel or groove or whatever interests you, a hook maybe... - dont think.. "does it sound hip-hop" - man, ive used ringo starr beats.. and beleive me it rocks if it rocks !! - use anything - i tell you i went up to see this guy 'T-cut k' one time, and he had some hard toons running and one of the loops was from Supertramp - so clever it was perfect perfect loop - so, im saying, your haunts need to be second-hand vinyl shops & charity shops... get everything, record it, take stuff back and px it, sample & sample & sample & sample....... and get a 12 bit sampler... emax ,whatever ...i like emax cos you get a whacking drum sound so hard and round & fat like an SP sorta sound...agreed for live stuff the memory is small comppared to modern sampler.. but they are great to have...

Message 7/10             18-Nov-99  @  07:11 PM   -   RE: Older Hip Hop Breaks

sox

Link?:  Link

You tell 'em k! One of the most famous hip hop grooves from the early days was from a Shadow's record (Apache)

Message 8/10             27-Nov-99  @  04:42 PM   -   RE: Older Hip Hop Breaks

R-Tek

...and "Mary Mary" was by the Monkees...well, not by the Monkees, by the big fat producer standing behind em...."..thats it Mikee, you bend over now and I`ll make you a star"..........wasn`t Apache by the incredible bongo band though? Guess not.

Message 9/10             27-Nov-99  @  06:37 PM   -   RE: Older Hip Hop Breaks

sox

Link?:  Link

You could be right R-tek. I may have got it confused with another track in my posting haste. I had just finished watching the History of Rap/Hip Hop on channel 4 and I thought that was the track they were talking about. If I'm wrong though, what was the Shadows track that they were using in '76-77 for the drum groove?

Message 10/10             27-Nov-99  @  07:21 PM   -   RE: Older Hip Hop Breaks

R-Tek

Ah....I dunno man, they used all sorts of shit you`d never think of. Guess thats kinda the point. Quite sad, the way hip hops gone though innit? It used to be so visionary and creative but they never built on that; I guess my favourite hip hop album since "Bizarre Ride....." has to be the J5 LP - but that weren`t exactly imaginative was it? It was a great album to listen to; but still a bit "same old, same old"..............I just hope jungle learns from hip hop....

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)