aaa layering your hits, DRUM 'N' BASS - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: layering your hits, DRUM 'N' BASS

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             01-Nov-99  @  09:01 PM   -   layering your hits, DRUM 'N' BASS

spockears

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hey so when you get a whole bunch of samples to make some grooves, how many sounds is too damn much? I just keep adding and adding then it sounds too thick so I take a few things out. Then it sounds good but I get sick of hearing it so I add somore shit in then it sounds like shit. You guys ever get ear fatigue like me?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             02-Nov-99  @  12:18 PM   -   RE: layering your hits, DRUM 'N' BASS

R-Tek

Yup. Usually best 2 have someone else about though so u can get their opinion.

Message 3/8             04-Nov-99  @  07:44 PM   -   RE: layering your hits, DRUM 'N' BASS

wai

That looks like shit, that's b4 i heard it. How about that?

Message 4/8             04-Nov-99  @  08:16 PM   -   RE: layering your hits, DRUM 'N' BASS

atombom

Well wai, that's what you call sarcasm. Now tell us something useful...(waiting)...

Try changing your all of your samples to a different pitch or key and play it back at slower or faster tempos. The character of the sounds will change drastically and open up new insight into the beat and melody. Often just putting it aside for a couple of weeks and working on something else will provoke more interest on your next listen.

Message 5/8             04-Nov-99  @  10:50 PM   -   RE: layering your hits, DRUM 'N' BASS

Allen Richmond

Face the speakers sideways, lay on your back, cup your hands about 1 inch from your ears and play the loop. Inverse phase refractions will amplify odd order cycles between your ears and your palms, making the loop sound better to you. This works especially well for beats over 160bpm. Good luck.

Al

Message 6/8             06-Nov-99  @  02:42 AM   -   RE: layering your hits, DRUM 'N' BASS

Jasper

In my experience, once you start getting listening fatigue there aint mutch you can do that will make the music sound better... Your ears are tired after all.. Thing to do is give it a break and the track will sound different when you go back to it.. either good or crap depending.

Message 7/8             21-Nov-99  @  01:12 PM   -   RE: layering your hits, DRUM 'N' BASS

wvalentino

Jasper's post was right on the mark. Ear fatigue has ruined many a good mix. Try giving yourself periodic breaks, or track one day... mix the next. If you don't have time to do it on different days... try tricking your ears. How? 1. Monitor at lower levels. 2. Monitor from a different room for a few minutes. You may sometimes here things differently when you are in the next room and your tracks are still playing. The main thing to remember is that your ears (or those of whomever you are mixing with) will play the most important part in "YOUR" mix because if you can't here the track... who knows what garbage will make it in (or be left out). Take care of the ears.

Message 8/8             21-Nov-99  @  01:38 PM   -   RE: layering your hits, DRUM 'N' BASS

Allen Richmond

Well said. I was just kiddin about that lay on the floor stuff. I'm really shocked that no one thought it was strange. I find that the 'listen from another room' technique is the most revealing of all.

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)