aaa Sounds!?! - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Sounds!?!

Viewing all 17 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/17             04-Dec-99  @  07:57 PM   -   Sounds!?!

sage

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

Does anyone have any idea what kind of equipment crystal method, prodogy, (and even aphex twin) uses to make their drum sounds and synth sounds?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/17             04-Dec-99  @  08:01 PM   -   RE: Sounds!?!

sage

i dont what happend to my beat, but here it is again, on the last kick move it back a 32note.

Message 3/17             05-Dec-99  @  12:41 AM   -   RE: Sounds!?!

fresh

Link?:  No link

I've seen The Crystal Method a couple of times. They pretty much take the same stuff with em every show. Scott Kirkland mostly wails away on a Clavia Nord2, Korg Z1, (Both equipped with custom distortion pedals), and a throw around keyboard such as a DX7 or DS8. The other guy Ken Jordan, who I actually got the pleasure to shake hands with (tried to rip his fingers off with no luck), stands in front of a sampler most of the show with one hand occasionally on the main mixer. He seems more of a relaxed fellow with a knack for perfection. Anyways I was looking rather intently about the stage and do remember seeing an Akai MPC 2000 behind the JP 8000. I know that they use alot of pedals, filters, FX and (very importantly) analog tape saturation all connected in series for thier drum sounds. Don't expect to be able to do it yourself with such ease cuz they can rip up a beat like none other. Just experience I guess. I have a link to a Prodigy gear list but the link seems to have vanished. They use a ton of stuff - just do a search and I'm sure you can find many lists of Prodigy's gear.

Message 4/17             05-Dec-99  @  02:47 AM   -   RE: Sounds!?!

sage

thanks fresh, i can up with bad ass shit, i just time alone. i saw crystal method wih orbital and low f. all stars. i noticed the sampler that crystal method had, i almost want to say an asrx pro, but dont hold me to that(the lights very bright then dark...:_), orbital had this krog that i have seen before. do you know any think about aphex twin, i know some the effects they use, but i dont know the name of the processor

Message 5/17             05-Dec-99  @  10:05 AM   -   RE: Sounds!?!

fresh

Nope. Cant say I've heard anything of Aphex Twins stuff but I've been meaning to. Doin the Drum'n'Bass thing alot lately and havn't had much money to spend on other types of music. What would be your favorite album of Aphex Twin so I could grab it next time?

P.S. Any old sampler and EQ will bring you far but the most important thing about making your beat sound 'bad ass' is knowing how to play/program your patterns. Try asking specifics cuz many of these DT people are quite knowing.

Message 6/17             05-Dec-99  @  10:49 AM   -   RE: Sounds!?!

R-Tek

Fresh - seeing as your a junglist, check out "Didgeridoo"(I think) circa 93. A hardcore proto-jungle classic. Its not an album, just a single which came out on R+S (remember them? they were good once)

Message 7/17             05-Dec-99  @  01:04 PM   -   RE: Sounds!?!

sage

Thanks again fresh. aphex twin (AFX, Caustic Windows)has a lot of albums out, but my favorite albums are “I care because you do” “the Richard D. James Album” “Window Licker”( Window Licker is a signal, with awesome video, I can not wait until there full length albums comes out cause it will probably be the best) the come to daddy album is cool (song number two is awesome). And one of his older albums called Mike and Rich is sweet sweet sweet, along with AFX analog bubble bath (I think #2).
I can make some good drumbeats, but how do you program the awesome drum’n bass baselines, and do you know where get some good bass drums, those bass drums kits that a different bass drum pitches, like those used on the “old” “Bass Types”

Message 8/17             05-Dec-99  @  02:53 PM   -   RE: Sounds!?!

fresh

Thanks Rtek and Sage. I'll add them to my list. I wish that I could just hear things on Real Player all the time cuz I just want to hear it NOW. As for programming those baselines (and purely my own opinion) you need a flexible way to mangle the hell out of standard sawtooth and square waves. Gotta be analog or VA. Gotta overdrive the filters, use different distortion boxes, use multiple filters in series, modulate modulate modulate, compress compress compress and even use maybe a few basses that twist in and out in sequence to make it sound like one sound with a lot of dynamics. No rules to it but you definitely need lots of good (or bad) gear. I do the drums pretty fast but I dread the bass cuz it takes me forever sometimes. I'm not exactly sure what bass drums your talkin about but I think you mean the ones that are made on analog synths that sound like pitched 808's. Is that right Rtek?

Message 9/17             05-Dec-99  @  03:04 PM   -   RE: Sounds!?!

R-Tek

I`m not really sure, as far as producing goes, I`m way behind most of the people here regarding technique but a fair amount of D+B now seems 2 use the good ol` 808 kik which has either been filtered os just had 20hz or rolled off the bottom end so it down clutter up the bass. I think a lot of peeps also mix in a bit of snare, not too loudly to give it a bit more mid range punch. Hmmmmmm..........that didn`t really answer Sages question at all, did it? Nay mind.

Message 10/17             05-Dec-99  @  07:30 PM   -   RE: Sounds!?!

fresh

Snare on the bass...hmmmm. I was wondering why last night while I was mixing why it sounded so good to keep putting a deep snare on top of the bass drum. I guess I might try attaching it to the bass instead. I love it when a plan comes together.

Message 11/17             05-Dec-99  @  09:15 PM   -   RE: Sounds!?!

sage

yeah i think it is the pitched 808s for the basses, i will try soon. if you want an mp3 of aphex twin i will make some soon as possible. thanks for the tips on the syth sound, the korg makes some sweet ones(i went to guitar center today). but there is this classic bassline i hear alot in the d&b song that i want to learn the notes for(pattern too i guess)... any clues?
damn it, i want to make some songs together you ppl (fresh, r-tek, anyone else interested) we could meet on irc (i run a channel on undernet) and send cakewalk files and mp3 back and forth, then i could mail the finshed song on a cd to everyone (not alot of ppl now $$(:cause the cash flow is not to big)that helped.

Message 12/17             05-Dec-99  @  11:54 PM   -   RE: Sounds!?!

fresh

I hate to disappoint but within the last several months I've come up with a system of working that is very personal to my gear. I'd hate to introduce other elements (like a long distance MP3 collaboration) into it right now because it finally works and I'm sounding good. Yet if anyone out there is from the Amherst Massachuesetts area, well that's another story. I hope you find someone.

Message 13/17             06-Dec-99  @  12:04 PM   -   RE: Sounds!?!

R-Tek

and this time next week, I`ll b doing all my sequencing on an MPC2000XL - dont flame me, I know the pros and cons; but I demoed it, and its 4 me, I`m sicking of clicking a fucking mouse 2 make music ( plus those MPC`s can really push out some wicked beats, u know). Maybe when we all get our shit together, we can hook up and remix eachothers stuff, eh? Dont have 2 b D+B, we can all just experiment - I think that`d b pretty cool......but my tunes r too shit at the mo` 2 let anyone loose on. But its well worth thinking about, anyway.

Message 14/17             06-Dec-99  @  01:55 PM   -   RE: Sounds!?!

cutoff_freq

Link?: Link

need sounds? i got tonned of phat drum samples on my webpage, check em out (just dont use getright to download)

http://members.xoom.com/fortyfourone

Message 15/17             06-Dec-99  @  10:44 PM   -   RE: Sounds!?!

sage

hey cutoff, that page will not load on computer. i guess there is not a clue to the pattern and keys of this classic D&B bassline i am trying to say??

Message 16/17             15-Dec-99  @  10:11 PM   -   RE: Sounds!?!

earthcode

This is a shot in the dark but I'm after a sample CD that is deleted (at least in the UK) called 'TECHNO TOOLBOX'. If there is any one out there who has one I would be very interested in buying it or a copy. Thanks.

Message 17/17             01-Jan-00  @  09:11 PM   -   RE: Sounds!?!

deltasleep

Link?: Link

i don't know for sure, but i've been told that Richard D James makes most of his equipment, he has a masters in electronics. smart guy really, but weird.

Viewing all 17 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)