aaa How do you make a D'n'B Bassline - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: How do you make a D'n'B Bassline

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6             20-Dec-99  @  12:03 AM   -   How do you make a D'n'B Bassline

Jojo the dog faced boy

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I would like to ask all the inteligent junglists and such forth who know...

the bass line ....
how do you you make one ? from scratch ..
does it go drums... then bass... then other bits as well?
or is them some other order.

and how is a bass line supposed to fit with a drum line

what makes a good bass line?

And so on and so forth...

Pretty much any thing you want to say about bass lines i want to hear because i can make a passible breakbeat, but every bassline i do sounds either like the early rave shit or a three year old on a double bass...
how does one do it?

inform me , you learned jedi

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/6             20-Dec-99  @  05:25 AM   -   RE: How do you make a D'n'B Bassline

joe

Link?: Link

It really depends on what sort of DnB you're making.

For atmospheric styles try using either a synth bass type sound or a pitched 808 kick drum, quite sparsely.

For harder styles, try distorting the sound, adding some LFO modulation to the filters and start playing around with the sound with a looped beat.
Try using notes that are not usually in the same scale, play around with notes that are only a semitone apart.
Another approach is to use two or three bass sounds in different frequencies to build up the bassline. Check out No Reality remix by RAM, it has a deep sub bass playing one bassline which is overlaid with a TB-303 type sound. Another one to listen to is Synthesis by Stakka + K Tee, this has quite a 'busy' bassline.

Why not try copying the bassline from one of your favourite tracks, as a learning exercise, try and find out how it was programmed, and how the sound interacts with the notes and rhythm. The chances are that you will end up using a completely different technique than the one used in the original track, but you will still have acquired some valuable sound and music programming skills.

Bear in mind that a lot of what makes a hard bassline is the sound used, they are often musically very simple, sometimes only one note, but the funky feel comes from how the sound used interacts rhythmically with the beats (usually hard quantised), that you construct.

Hope this helps,

Joe.

PS. Check out our site to hear examples of the above.

Message 3/6             20-Dec-99  @  06:26 AM   -   RE: How do you make a D'n'B Bassline

stephenb

Nice tracks Joe!

I like the way the bassline in spores just grooves when the beat kicks in (is it vocoded?) but I prefer polymorphic - just oozes energy.

Message 4/6             20-Dec-99  @  08:34 AM   -   RE: How do you make a D'n'B Bassline

Lyrebird

i've put some suggestions in under
TOPIC: Making rolling bass lines

Message 5/6             24-Dec-99  @  11:39 AM   -   RE: How do you make a D'n'B Bassline

marsmusic

The most important thing of a good basline is the interaction with the music and drums,most important: the bassdrum kicks.
Three methodes to get a good bassline:
Listen to your music and start to dance (in your head)!
Try and feel(or sing) a bass line and stop the music when you find something! and record it!
record an improvised bassline for some minutes.
try to listen to the music and feel the beat. Copy the best parts and make it solid!
Play some bassnotes in-sync with the kicks.
Foolaround with this! Ex:cut and/or paste or play some more notes!
Sometimes the notes are less important, the sound of the bass must fit with the other sounds.A very extremeSFX bass-sound don't have to play many notes to be special.
Thanks for listening and good luck!

Message 6/6             24-Dec-99  @  11:40 AM   -   RE: How do you make a D'n'B Bassline

marsmusic

The most important thing of a good basline is the interaction with the music and drums,most important: the bassdrum kicks.
Three methodes to get a good bassline:
Listen to your music and start to dance (in your head)!
Try and feel(or sing) a bass line and stop the music when you find something! and record it!
record an improvised bassline for some minutes.
try to listen to the music and feel the beat. Copy the best parts and make it solid!
Play some bassnotes in-sync with the kicks.
Foolaround with this! Ex:cut and/or paste or play some more notes!
Sometimes the notes are less important, the sound of the bass must fit with the other sounds.A very extremeSFX bass-sound don't have to play many notes to be special.
Thanks for listening and good luck!

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)