aaa learn to quantize - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: learn to quantize

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             02-Jan-00  @  10:35 AM   -   learn to quantize

tjader

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

could someone with a bit of knowledge explain some techniques for quantizing beats,hi hats ect....tell us about swing rates %,gate times...(is there particular formular for different styles ie garage,d&b.......)i am expriementing on rm1x..would appreciate any help you can give me.....

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             02-Jan-00  @  03:46 PM   -   RE: learn to quantize

jtech

i am alsp curious about quantizing

Message 3/10             02-Jan-00  @  07:00 PM   -   RE: learn to quantize

Ellipsis

i have found that 30 percent swing works wonders

Message 4/10             04-Jan-00  @  11:58 AM   -   RE: learn to quantize

ricky

cubase has "iterative quantize" which moves the notes a user definable percentage of the distance to the desired value and I don't know why I'm writing this because it sounds like shit. Try not to quantize though.

Message 5/10             05-Jan-00  @  01:55 PM   -   RE: learn to quantize

k

yup... all the s/w's have a protocol to define quantise's... doing them manually is another matter, as with all of them you can create & define your own custom quantises, or take the quantise from the audio loop - Logic is the king for this whole area imho - creating a matched audio quantise to apply to your (say) hi-hat riff is a piece of cake in Logic - but in essence, most quantises simply take the basic time signature 4/4, 4/8 etc and then allocated different 'feels' within that signature... garage & jungle/drum&bass, as well as certain house styles utilise these alternative quantises the most - on say some swing-y ibiza style tech-house you get the quantise swing on the hats or hats & tambourine etc, with maybe some other odd swing-based sound like a snare or rimshot occupying another swing pattern to emphasise the 'Hop' of the swing before the kik-drums or snare beats - in essence its about 'T' or triplet groves overlaid onto straight 4/4 patterns...

see the pattern - to increase the signature/quantise, (which defaults on this grid to 4/4 with 4 divisions to every beat), that is HALF a bar.. so copy this pattern x2 to make a full 4/4 bar...

IF YOU PLAYED THE BASIC BEAT - without the 'DA-SKIP', you'd get a basic house 'BOOM-TISH / BOOM-TISH' beat - but adding that extra skip in between the closed hat & kik (4/4 beat marker) and the open-hat 'TISH' add's a skip - IF, it is pushed TOWARDS the open hat 'tish' - then you get - BOOM-TISH / BOOM-K'TISH / BOOM-TISH / BOOM-K'TISH... SORta feel the little 'k' skip beat before the open hat gives it the skip/swing...

as i say - bare in mind the grid here shows HALF a bar of music - bouble uit to get the full 4/4 bar - experiment with placing drum hits in-between the 4's on the 1/2 beats and shift them TOWARDS the next square beat to create swing...

look at the dummy 16th beat marker, and you can see the 'DA-SKIP' beat is pushed forward towards the next square 4/4 beat -

i'll be adding a bunch of garage beat midi-files soon all with swing quantises..

Message 6/10             12-Jan-00  @  11:29 AM   -   RE: learn to quantize

Gee

What is a DA Skip...? I`m really curious, just can`t figure it out....

Message 7/10             14-Jan-00  @  06:19 AM   -   RE: learn to quantize

neil_chambers

I have spent a while looking into what the Swing control on Rebirth actually does with a view to emulating it in Cubase. As far as I can work out, it basically delays every 2nd beat starting on beat 2(2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16). The the longer the delay, the more "swung" the beat is. Using the 16 beat grid in Cubase or on a drum machine with no swing at all tends to produce a flat-sounding technoish feel. To get the bumping house groove you need to swing the beat - how much is up to your ears. The "Sl.Shuffle" in VST does this for you but it may be too much. If it is you can go to Setup Grooves and set the iteration value to about 20% (it's 50% as default). Now if you press "E" for Iterative quantise the beats will be moved nice and slowly back towards the 16th quantised value. This won't effect a straight 4/4 kick with an offbeat hi-hat - you'll need to add some closed hats or sticks etc so some hits appear on the beats named above. You can also apply to to your bassline and arpeggios and see how that effects things.

Bear in mind that the actual sound of say, the hi hats, will have a huge effect on the feel of it anyway - the length of the sound will effect the percieved swing. The same goes for the relative volumes.

Again, the frequencies have a big effect. Your ear will hear hits of similar frequencies as being related thus creating a rhythm out of the combined sounds of the snare and hihats for instance so a small chance in the hihat's filter may make the beat sound more kicking.

Message 8/10             14-Jan-00  @  09:08 AM   -   RE: learn to quantize

adirgitai

Thanks, that really cleared up things, I`m going to try out your pattern and see if I can get that swing feel, ....cheers

Message 9/10             14-Jan-00  @  01:58 PM   -   RE: learn to quantize

damballah

Link?:  Link

The swing function delays the start of every alternating note.

Say you have a bar of quantized eighth notes.

50 percent swing would leave this alone.

66.7 percent would give you a triplet feel, that is 1/4 note triplet, 1/8 note triplet, 1/4 note triplet, 1/8 note triplet... this is the hard one to show in a groove grid and challenging to program on Roland X0X style beat boxes. achievable but challenging.

75 percent would result in a pattern of dotted 1/8, 1/16, dotted 1/8, 1/16.

Hope this helps.

Message 10/10             14-Jan-00  @  04:01 PM   -   RE: learn to quantize

k

well, if you get Logic, these templates are built in (BIG list in exact divisions/feels... each template pushes the groove further away from standard - also, creating your own templates to add to the list is simple, even from audio is just a couple of mouse-clicks - also Logic allows you to apply the quantises NON-DESTRUCTIVELY to either the whole content of a selected track, an individual part on a track, or a group of selected parts on a track - superb !! , being NON-destructive means the actual notes in a part DON'T CHANGE except visually on the grid, you can revert to the r3corded quantise (if any) instantly at any time, and switching quantises is faster as you try various ones out, cos the s/w doesnt have to actually move the notes, then undo the notes-move and re-do a new one... instant garage & house swing at the flick of a switch - fucking A1 !!, once youve tried Logic's quantise the rest look positively amateurish and incredibly slow and fiddly

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)