aaa Those crazy snare/kick build ups(cresendos?)? - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Those crazy snare/kick build ups(cresendos?)?

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             10-Jan-00  @  11:05 AM   -   Those crazy snare/kick build ups(cresendos?)?

raver

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm trying to figure out different ways to sequence kick/snare build-ups. Like you hear in a lot of today's trance(ie. POB, Art of Trance). There are several kinds. One I'm really interasted in is where the snare will build-up then sorta fade away then back up. Then there is a quick silence then boom! Also the ones that go from a like 4 kicks to 6 to 8 to 16. I know you just keep adding the notes but this is hard if you doing looped based stuff and not just a long midi file. I hope I'm explaining this right. If not please help me out if you know what I'm talking about. Thanks!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             10-Jan-00  @  12:31 PM   -   RE: Those crazy snare/kick build ups(cresendos?)?

R-Tek

I`m not sure if I`m following u correctly here, if I aint just post back and tell me what a twat I am but u can`t do it with loops - has 2 b midi.

Just cut out a kick from one of your loops and then input the kicks onto youe sequencers drum editor in 16ths or whatever and then adjust the velocity so it rises and fall or whatever, see?

Mmmmmmmm.......didn`t explain that velocity thing well, taking cubase as an example: on your drum editor, input the beats and then click on the little icon at the bottom left of the editor, click on the control icon and the select velocity: Providing you`ve already selected the row of drums u want 2 edit, u should now have a load of vertical bars at the bottom of your screen corresponding to each individual note. Now, where those vert bars r, right click and select the crosshair; Left click on the first vert bar and then drag it across diagonally 2 the other bars - u should get a line from where u clicked the most 2 where your pointer currently is; Get a nice rising peak on it, and let go - voila! rising velocity.

U can use that 2 get the beats 2 go up and down or just use the pencil tool 2 edit individual velocities.

P.S. Hope u dig my "interesting" attempt at explaining this on the groove file.

Message 3/7             10-Jan-00  @  02:39 PM   -   RE: Those crazy snare/kick build ups(cresendos?)?

raver

You've totally explained it! Thanks so much, that's what I was looking for. I love the great innovative way you explained it by the groove file  Thanks again!

steve

Message 4/7             15-Jan-00  @  04:27 AM   -   RE: Those crazy snare/kick build ups(cresendos?)?

k

Link?: Link

like this ? -- if you want a midifile of the roll say yes and i'll add it

Message 5/7             15-Jan-00  @  04:58 AM   -   RE: Those crazy snare/kick build ups(cresendos?)?

k

File?:  File

fade_roll_inout.mid

here ya go

Message 6/7             02-Feb-00  @  10:14 PM   -   RE: Those crazy snare/kick build ups(cresendos?)?

XXX

Link?: Link

I found an interesting way to get the "build up fade away then build up, silence then boom" effect as metioned before. This can be done on almost any sequencer. Set up 5 empty measures. Start a snare roll at full velocity going down to 1/3 velocity say over 4 and a half measures. At the same time get a kik roll going from 0-full velocity over the same time. This give a snare fading away while the bass drums building up hard, half a measure of silence maybe a crash on the very last beat and bang kick in what you want. I hope this made sense.

Message 7/7             03-Feb-00  @  02:48 PM   -   RE: Those crazy snare/kick build ups(cresendos?)?

k

or try filtering the snare roll all the way up, from lo cuttoff to harsh/thin at the end etc... you can even do it manually with the sweep-mid of the mixer channel, but a braoder range & some res' helps give it more welly

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)