aaa experimenting with the 7/4 - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: experimenting with the 7/4

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3             23-Jan-00  @  12:00 PM   -   experimenting with the 7/4

tjader

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

i have just started to expriement with different time signitures (expriementing being the word)i programed a few things but they just dont sound right to me,could someone with a bit of know how explain a basic break,for example when working with 4/4 on a 16 step seguencer i would program .......the bass drum 1,13,15 then 5,11,15 then 1,5,13,15 then 3,5,11......side drum 3,9 then 3,9 then 3,9 then 9,13 ect...(how would that work on the 4/7).......yours sincerly "confused"

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/3             03-Feb-00  @  01:16 AM   -   RE: experimenting with the 7/4

Ellipsis

Link?:  Link

4/7 does not exist...no such thing as a 7th note...if you are using cakewalk, i can send you a .wrk file of some stuff in 7/4 i have been working on lately...not really dance, but it might give you an idea...basically...7/4 is like this....you obviously know 4/4...do you know 3/4...kik on one snare on two and three or kik on one and two, snare on three...(basically, oversimplified for the purposes here)...well, put 3/4 and 4/4 together and you get 7/4...kind of like one bar of 4/4 then one bar of 3/4 then one bar of 4/4 then one of 3/4 and so on and so for and such as that...so you get all the options of 4/4 and all the options of 3/4 put together...every measure...

once you get this down...you can get more complicated...are you familiar with basic punk 2/4...one two two two three two four two <---|4 measures of 2/4|....well...you take one measure of 4/4, one measure of 2/4, and one to improvise with...put these 3 parts in any order, then have fun..

if you get really cool w/ it you can have a 4/4 beat, but insert the 1 measure improve right in the middle, or after the first or third beat of it...this can create some pretty cool patterns...

Message 3/3             03-Feb-00  @  02:30 PM   -   RE: experimenting with the 7/4

tjader

Link?:  No link

hello ellipsis,thanks 4 the reply i am not that familiar with punk(you lost me with one two two bit!you explained the 7/4 KIK ON ONE SNARE ON ect well..i get that bit....i am very new to makeing music intrested in jazz,drum and bass,anything alternative.over the pass couple of months i have been programing 4/4 figured out various breaks..pleased with what i have been doing....now i want to learn some new things,had a go at 5/4 liked it ,but i cant seem to vary it the same way i can with 4/4 (i guess it,s more pratice)so any ideas you can give me would be appericated.one thing i am a bit of a dumb ,dumd i dont get this one,two,two,three bussiness so if you could simplify 4 me please,or explain is 1 the kik 2 the snare 2,2 is that snare,snare or WHAT? thanks ginger steve.....ps the cake walk no good to me,useing rm1x.a midi would work though...

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)