aaa just an ickle drum dynamics question - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: just an ickle drum dynamics question

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             23-Aug-00  @  05:50 PM   -   just an ickle drum dynamics question

r-tek

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

okey dokey, so I`m trying to give my drums that "live" feel you know? So I`ve figured that velocity to LPF and velocity to pitch along with the traditional velocity to amplitude takes me part of the way there but what I was kinda wondering is umm.....If I also dialed in velocity to attack, so the softer I play the drum, the slower the attack becomes, would that be how a real drum would behave? Or does the speed of attack remain constant regardless? Ta, I know I should just try it meself and I have, but I cant really make my mind up whether it feels right or not.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             23-Aug-00  @  07:34 PM   -   RE: just an ickle drum dynamics question

Point Being

actually, the "lingering" part of the drum hit is proportionally louder than the contact sound.. so in order to accurately map your smaples, you have to have 3 different samples for every drum.. 1 for the beater/stick hit, one for the head ring and one for the drum resonance (you can think of these as the three phases of the drum sound, but they overlap) and map out how the velo alters the different samples individually.. do you get what i am saying?

it sounds like you want a live timbre changes, not so much live quantization.. which is unique to me..

Message 3/10             24-Aug-00  @  07:18 AM   -   RE: just an ickle drum dynamics question

r-tek

eh? quantization? I`m talking about using velocity to alter the attack time of a drumhit mate, I see what you`re saying about the 3 stages, but I dont have the material to do that kinda thing, I just have drumhit smaples. So, does the attack time alter with velocity then?

Message 4/10             24-Aug-00  @  01:47 PM   -   RE: just an ickle drum dynamics question

k

no - attack is always instant... it's the decay & sharpness (filter) that makes the difference between a loud & soft note - expensive drum sample kits like Clearmountains stuff has many samples per drum to cover these eventualities and you layer them and cross fade -

ah yes... you can also setup more then one sample and cross fade between the two with velocity - you can do that with two samples on most samplers... so select a LOUD hit sample as the secondary, and choose a soft sample for the lower velocity, then the louder you play the more of the second Louder sample will be heard, add filter to that & try it...

Message 5/10             24-Aug-00  @  03:38 PM   -   RE: just an ickle drum dynamics question

r-tek

ahhhhh, danke muchly. I do sometimes actually layer a quiter hit underneath my main snare so I can use that for shuffles and ghost hits and whatnot cos its sits in the loop a lot better, but I didn`t think about velocity xfading. Hmmmm......

Message 6/10             24-Aug-00  @  04:16 PM   -   RE: just an ickle drum dynamics question

nobody

Link?:  Link

ahem - clearmintin derms #2? want 'em??

Message 7/10             25-Aug-00  @  07:12 AM   -   RE: just an ickle drum dynamics question

nobody

i mean it free clermntn just ask

Message 8/10             25-Aug-00  @  08:49 AM   -   RE: just an ickle drum dynamics question

r-tek

oh I see now, I`m a little slow y`know. I thought it was another dental hygiene joke for some reason :/ Ummm.........gimme a coupla days to try and remember what my email pw is cos that side of things is down right now and then I`ll post it up   Cheers, mr alien death-cult type person.

Message 9/10             25-Aug-00  @  11:47 AM   -   RE: just an ickle drum dynamics question

nobody

indeed, stevieness. since they cost so much to begin with & i never felt them to be worth more than 45% of price paid i say others need have it for free. so you see, some humantypes shall die, some get 200+ mb of free drum samples. it's all about interest. or leverage is it?

Message 10/10             02-Oct-00  @  12:25 AM   -   RE: just an ickle drum dynamics question

r-tek

Bet you thought I`d forgotten. I had. I remembered =)

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)