aaa 2 Step Garage - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: 2 Step Garage

Viewing all 19 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/19             22-Oct-00  @  01:34 PM   -   2 Step Garage

harry

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Check out the link and if you like my tune let me know. If anyones wants to swap any garage sounds get in touch......

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/19             12-Nov-00  @  01:07 PM   -   RE: 2 Step Garage

calvin_celsius

Link?:  Link

hello mr. hero! nice tune you got there, although the vocal was somewhat overfocused. i produce dnb, but lately i'm a bit hyped on the idea of going darkside on 2 step garage. let me ask you, where did you get your schooling for composing 2 step? are you a garridge fiend or an ex-junglist? what's the basics? i mean, i've inserted bits n pieces of 140 bpm garridge steppers into dnb and breakbeat tunes, but don't really feel that comfy with it cuz i just listen to the beats and try to mimic them without sounding derivative.

Message 3/19             15-Nov-00  @  11:03 PM   -   RE: 2 Step Garage

gawaineparker

Link?:  No link

Can anyone explain the rule's to the two step U.k. garage game i'm oh so confused I don't even know what bandwagon to jump on,if I had any taste I still wouldn't know what the lick was.

Message 4/19             16-Nov-00  @  03:48 AM   -   RE: 2 Step Garage

k

well the rule is i reckon if you cant6 dance & you have no internal groove, you've got absolutely NO chance of making it.,, when it gets deep it has so many faces it only has a wicked groove really as the common denomintor as well as the upbeat - it can be a drumbox and monobassline plus a vocal raw & ruff with all the gutbustin bassend of original jungle... or it can be comlexed lush commercial production...

Message 5/19             16-Nov-00  @  03:01 PM   -   RE: 2 Step Garage

gawaineparker

File?:  File

two-step pattern1.MID

Well I slipped on my boogie shoes this morning and started playing around this 4 bar loop see what you think.

Message 6/19             16-Nov-00  @  06:12 PM   -   RE: 2 Step Garage

gawaineparker

two-step pattern2.MID

here come's another one.

Message 7/19             16-Nov-00  @  09:44 PM   -   RE: 2 Step Garage

harry

Erm, well I've come from a d&b/jungle/old skool/acieeed background and theres a bit of all of that within UK Garage, living in London you can't get away from it, so eventually I had to give in. The basics are: ????? Short stabby cut down drum sounds all over the place @ 145bpm with out of time and offkey basslines (It works for me!)

Message 8/19             16-Nov-00  @  11:46 PM   -   RE: 2 Step Garage

gawaineparker

thanks for the tips.like the tune.I also lived in london (until last friday) and remember the early nineties,when I eventually get something completed i'll send a copy to your email address.have fun.Gawaine

Message 9/19             16-Nov-00  @  11:56 PM   -   RE: 2 Step Garage

harry

Ok that would be cool, I'll let you kow when I've got some new stuff uploaded, soon hopefully! Early 90's were the best, where you moved to then?

Message 10/19             17-Nov-00  @  08:37 PM   -   RE: 2 Step Garage

gawaineparker

Milton keynes/Northampton,where I grew up,off junction 14,concrete cow's an all that.

Message 11/19             18-Nov-00  @  12:08 PM   -   RE: 2 Step Garage

ging

i justgot cubase (after having an rm1x 4 a while)me drum programming has improved 10 fold..i load a wav drum loop into audio channel then i start to program me lm9 over the top.....(them breaks i couldn,t work out...guess what i can now)does any one have a good web site with loads of quality garage loops or percussion (latin style)....thanks ginger

Message 12/19             22-Nov-00  @  12:28 AM   -   RE: 2 Step Garage

k

why not just make them with LM9, then stream those with any added fx & eq etc to .wav files and start to create your own library!... i think your chances of finding cool loops is zero mate outside of any ones for sale on cd's, any good groove makers out there aint about to upload their mixed grooves mebbe.

one good way to create parts is just to copy your favourite grooves...

if you know how to trim a garage loop from your favourite CD, and add it into VST with a perfect loop running... ok, then create a midi drum-track under the audio track, and set the drum-loop eq so that only the treble comes thru...

go to your drum-map edit, copy the hat pattern...

go back to the loop and re-set the channel EQ to show the kik pattern, remove the tops/treble to make it clearer

go back to the drum-map midi drums edit and copy the kik... etc etc

then save those and use them as templates to create your own patterns, and use your favourite drum samples in LM9 etc or a sampler (whatever U use) to make new audio Loops to use whenever you like

Message 13/19             23-Nov-00  @  04:40 PM   -   RE: 2 Step Garage

j9

how do you get the beats to skip so much. i can put down the kik and snare but there's so much more.

how many different components to a decent groove and then which parts to quantise and by how much.

i run cubase v3.7 so could you explain in these terms?

cheers

jon.

Message 14/19             24-Nov-00  @  07:29 PM   -   RE: 2 Step Garage

ging

two-step pattern3.MID

what i do is start with most promenent thing and work backwards (use the the line that moves through your grid ..look and listen to indivial hits vel ect length use different grids triplets and what not .i aint no expert ....but my drum programming has improved useing the edit screen and the line to place things (instead of couting 1&2&3&4&.....you no.

Message 15/19             24-Nov-00  @  10:33 PM   -   RE: 2 Step Garage

gawaineparker

For programming garage beats I think it's best if you find a pattern you like,copy it,and then create your own variations as suggested previously.I tend to use a mixture of sixteenth and triplet grids,triplets mainly on the hihats.
The drums tend to be clipped short with little or no decay so they sound sharp and precise,a square wave with an lfo on the filter to create a wow effect makes a good bass sound.
On the level meter the kick tends to reach about-2dB while the snare sits about-7dB although I must stress these are just rules of thumb and the balance of the mix depends on what your own ears tell you.
I hope this has been of some help.

Message 16/19             24-Nov-00  @  10:36 PM   -   RE: 2 Step Garage

gawaineparker

2-step groove.XWS

For programming garage beats I think it's best if you find a pattern you like,copy it,and then create your own variations as suggested previously.I tend to use a mixture of sixteenth and triplet grids,triplets mainly on the hihats.
The drums tend to be clipped short with little or no decay so they sound sharp and precise,a square wave with an lfo on the filter to create a wow effect makes a good bass sound.
On the level meter the kick tends to reach about-2dB while the snare sits about-7dB although I must stress these are just rules of thumb and the balance of the mix depends on what your own ears tell you.
I hope this has been of some help.

Message 17/19             24-Nov-00  @  10:44 PM   -   RE: 2 Step Garage

gawaineparker

I'm not having much luck at uploading these files.

Message 18/19             29-Nov-00  @  08:01 PM   -   RE: 2 Step Garage

ausar7

what kinda of swing do put on our beats the seqeuncer i use does it in percentages. ive been swinging at bout 20% havent quite got it yet. any ideas

Message 19/19             01-Dec-00  @  11:40 AM   -   RE: 2 Step Garage

Magnusb

Hi!

One good way to program those swinging garage beats is to use the new Reason synth/seq/sampler...
Http://www.propellerheads.se

Uses the drumsampler in reason to load up your favorite samples. then use the 16-step grid. Use the Shuffle function, and program different velocities!

When i get the release copy of Reason, i will streem the loop to a .way and insert in Logic 4.6.
The Synth in reason is also great, for getting the deeep basline. Automate the filter env. cutoff, and res. to get that "wobbly" sound  

I finish my tracks in Logic. I add vocals and cords/hits....

I would like to get in contact with some other 2-steppers/garage heads that works in Logic, in order to colaborate on some tracks.

my e-mail: magnusb@4u.net

Viewing all 19 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 19 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)