aaa If the 303 is really overused... - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: If the 303 is really overused...

Viewing all 21 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/21             08-Apr-98  @  09:29 AM   -   If the 303 is really overused...

ratfink

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

...why the new chat page and sustained interest? i think people say its overused just so the common rabble drop it then they can slip 'em onto their tracks and act like geniuses in interviews; "well yeah there's a 303 in there but i don't use it that much coz its overused!" we're onto you bastards!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/21             10-Apr-98  @  01:03 AM   -   RE: If the 303 is really overused...

retro96

Obviously overused, but, so what, there are endless possibilities with the o' so' funky sequencer. Everything can be used in new ways, it's up to the artist to find them (some people just can't use it in any other way than what you hear all da time they getz stuck in using the same lines/tempo/filter sweep rez etc) - hence the creation of the OOOOO so funky mc303 mc505 mc??? (sampled spit)---- seriuosly, the original can sound much much different if you work it right.  

Message 3/21             10-Apr-98  @  09:18 AM   -   RE: If the 303 is really overused...

Who cares who's using it? If you like it, and you think it fits what you're doing musically, *use*
it. That's my take on it, and yes, I will continue throwing 303 riffs into my mixes as long as I feel
the urge to tweak the knobs, no matter what anybody else thinks is trendy or neat. I don't mind
being labeled old hat, as long as I'm true to myself.

Message 4/21             10-Apr-98  @  05:46 PM   -   RE: If the 303 is really overused...

DIGS

That damn guitar sound again!! It seems like every rock song I listen to has one in it!! genre people genre!!!

Message 5/21             24-Apr-98  @  06:28 PM   -   RE: If the 303 is really overused...

Looneyfreaks

If it is over used big deal? Lets put it this way if the 303 is over used so is the 909, 808, 101, 106, jd800, akai samplers, well I could go on and on but you get my point...You have to remember that there is not a lot of 303 out there and there is more music made with out a 303 than with so I don't think it is over used..If you got it use it..Due to I paid an arm and a leg and one of my eyeballs for it so I am going to use it every chance I get...Big deal I am trendy 303 fan BLA,BLA, BLA..and if you are reading this so are you or you wouldn't be looking at this page...
N.P.L

Message 6/21             25-Apr-98  @  08:15 AM   -   RE: If the 303 is really overused...

Guitars are used in EVERY rock song. Maybe the manufactures of electric guitars should stand up and take notice of the people of this large world and go into retirement. Then maybe we could see some new instruments being designed...

Message 7/21             26-Apr-98  @  05:07 AM   -   RE: If the 303 is really overused...

Sedusa

Link?:  Link

That's why I don't listen to very much rock anymore.... Straight guitars are fuckin boring..... Don't get me wrong.... I HAVE a guitar, I LOVE my guitar, I was a guitarist, ans I still USE my guitar!! But it needs to be mixed up, y'know? Straight guitar sounds are boring.... I only dig on a few guitar bands these days... Reverend Horton Heat being one of the great exceptions.... But a guitar in every song is wack... Just like the 303.... It's a good sound, but it ain't everything....

Message 8/21             19-May-98  @  06:26 PM   -   RE: If the 303 is really overused...

di96awe

It's overused. But still sounds like squieky-god.

Mvh: Ezel ... sweden

Message 9/21             19-May-98  @  11:08 PM   -   RE: If the 303 is really overused...

yo mutha:0)

I think that saying it's over used, is over used. It's also more popular now a days to dis the 303 than to like it. That's the big trend now! "Oh, 303's are borring. You suck for useing one". What ever, than sell me yours for $1.00 than fukko!! I say we all unite & bash the bashers!!! A 303 Nation are we all!!
-LArry

Message 10/21             20-May-98  @  08:03 PM   -   RE: If the 303 is really overused...

celtic dream

Ha, take that all you 303 hating fuckers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 11/21             21-May-98  @  08:19 AM   -   RE: If the 303 is really overused...

Looneyfreaks

to all the 303 haters may all your equipment burn as we all tweek away...

Message 12/21             21-May-98  @  10:28 PM   -   RE: If the 303 is really overused...

celtic dream

burn muther fuckers burn!!!!!
303 rocks!!!!!

Message 13/21             11-Jun-98  @  06:41 PM   -   RE: If the 303 is really overused...

kbonus

I agree with Yo mutha. Almost allof these artists these days are all saying that the 303 sound is dead. Okay, then how come they won't get rid of the damn thing. They're still in their studios. 303 is never going to die. It's like skateboarding. There's always going to be new tricks being done. Just twiddle the knob and it doesn't matter who it is that's twiddling it, and it'll get you off of your ass and just groove on. Too easy to program some really wicked bass lines too. To the guitar player, ever thought of Metalica using a 303 and a 909?
Damn, I'd probably throw up.

Message 14/21             12-Jun-98  @  08:30 AM   -   RE: If the 303 is really overused...

Looneyfreaks

HMMMMMMM. Well lets see is the 303 really over used? You tell me? I mean if you buy acid music of course there might be a 303 used but if you buy jazz well no 303's there. Like I said before thier is a lot of music made with out a TB303 or even a clone at that matter. So if you think the TB303 is over used well buy or listen to house music.. Not very many house or deep house records out there with a 303. Question- why ask is the 303 over used any way? Who cares? Why care? Just make music!! And if you are such a big TB303 hater well I wouldn't mind taking all your records that have a 303 in them..This is all a little silly talking about the TB303. And I am at fault too. I mean we would all be more intrested in a 303 bass line than the world blowing up...Maybe the TB303 page shouldn't exsist. I think we should have a TR909 or TR606 chat page....ha ha ha ha ha Who cares about anything anymore? Just let us all remember one day our little plastic silver box will break and we will have to move on with our lives....

Message 15/21             12-Jun-98  @  12:27 PM   -   RE: If the 303 is really overused...

positronic

Using 303 in jazz... hmmm... Nice idea really - why not.

Can't really say that a sound is overused if it fits the track...

Message 16/21             13-Jun-98  @  12:36 AM   -   RE: If the 303 is really overused...

x2c4nrg

Every song has drums...why cant every song have a 303? I still believe that we are only experiencing the beginning of acid music. I think someone is going to take acid to whole other level. Hopefully it will be me, but seriously doubt it. HIGH SOCIETY.

Message 17/21             13-Jun-98  @  12:40 AM   -   RE: If the 303 is really overused...

x2c4nrg

How come nobody complains about the 808 being overused? I mean those generic ass sounds in damn near every electronic song. Well its because you can freak that bitch to rock the fucking planet, thats why. So why complain about the 303 when you can do the same thing???

Message 18/21             13-Jun-98  @  04:00 AM   -   RE: If the 303 is really overused...

larry

WHAT?? OUR LITTLE 303 BREAK?? UH, UM, ERR, I'M SCARRED!!!

Message 19/21             14-Jun-98  @  01:30 AM   -   RE: If the 303 is really overused...

Sedusa

Link?:  Link

I loathe Metalica.... God, I heard this really awful thing the other day....... I was walking thru "Hot Topic" (I know, I know.) and I heard "For whom the bell tolls" or something with a breakbeat underneath it.... Horrible! .. Anyways, like I said in the 303 fuckers whatever thread..... I like the 303 sound... The problem is just what is the problem with rock music.... there seems to be a formula to using a 303 that not many people variate from.. And that's the only problem... We don't wan't the stagnation of music, we want to keep it moving forward, yeah? ... There's nothing wrong with the music of the past, or taking something that's been done and making it your own.... But we don't want it to gel and stay unchanged, we want to keep it fresh... Our music, in particular, is the embrace of technology... And it is our responsibility to move forward with that technology... This does NOT mean that the technology of the past iis obsolete... We just have to discover how to use it in ways that it wasn't necessarily meant for - Witness analog - Old technology, that sounds great when we embrace it's unique synthetic character, and crap when we try to make it sound like an acoustic instrument... Old samplers, we move beyond trying to get that pristine sound, and embrace their gritty, shitty resolution... And, of course, the 303, which sounds nothing like a real bass player, but makes wonderful squiggly sounds. Almost everything has it's niche, once we move beyond the formula... That is the problem with a lot of new technology tho... It seems to be custom made to crank out formula music... I will be the first to admit that I am guilty of using formulas at times, but the thing is that we need to make music that sounds right to us, and not someone else's vision. We need to take all the things that we like, mix 'em together, make 'em our own, and try to avoid falling into the trap of routine, commonplace music that will push copies because it's got (INSERT WHATEVER SOUND, 303 ETC) but will be forgotten in a year.

Message 20/21             15-Jun-98  @  06:52 AM   -   RE: If the 303 is really overused...

Looneyfreaks

I totally agree with sedusa..The next level is what is is all about...and don't worry larry your 303 won't break any time soon..Unless you step on it....Has anyone heard Fatboy Slims new 12"????? Rockin'......

Message 21/21             16-Jun-98  @  04:39 AM   -   RE: If the 303 is really overused...

'Nuff said!!!!

Viewing all 21 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 21 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)