aaa FutureRetro777:memoirs of a junkie - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: FutureRetro777:memoirs of a junkie

Viewing all 24 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/24             07-Sep-98  @  06:48 PM   -   FutureRetro777:memoirs of a junkie

cyborg0

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

the 777 definitely is a few light years beyond the possibilities of the original tb303, AND it sounds EXACTLY like a real 303.. I hooked mine up, put it on saw wave and jacked the distortion up, and BAM, instant Hardfloor.. but, this thing can crank out far more complex lines.. I have used the filter cv warp mode along with the accents, and have gotten lines that sound like there is a tb303, an mc202, and an Arp 2600 all playing different sequences.. this is due to a lot of the parameters being dependent on accent and on other parameters settings.. the modulation routings rival stuff like the minimoog, Arp 2600, and ms20... amazing.. truly amazing.. this thing WILL dethrone the tb303, guaranteed... it will dethrone a lot of other acid synths also due to the built in sequencer and the 7 pole filter...
I will admit, though, that the sequencer takes a little getting used to due to the fact that you scroll through the notes rather than scrolling through the steps..its kinda weird at first, but for a live situation, this makes it easier to mess with loop points and such on the fly, plus its easier to add rests, glides, and accents.
Basically, you have 16 buttons on the bottom. When you hit a button, the note at that step comes up in the LED numbers..(nixie tubes woulda been cooler, but i digress!  )
Also, the glide and accent info comes up..
At that step, you use up/down buttons to change the value of the note. Very cool..

It also has a sort of random mode.. If you wanna start with all random patterns, Jared stated that one could input any string of midi data into it during a dump, and that would be seen as sysex by the machine, and it would go ahead and place that info in the memory, whatever it might turn out to be.. very interesting!

Loop points and all other data seems to be ROCK solid and is able to be changed during play with no hiccup! wow..

I no longer want another tb303.. as far as im concerned, the tb303 no longer exists except in trax where ppl pay far too much for far too little..

This thing puts ANY mod you can do to the tb303 to shame! I would buy 10 of these before i would buy a tb303 for anything over 300 bux.. the tb303 will be put in its rightful place..Im just happy to have had the opportunity to be part of music history by being one of the first ppl to own one.. Its time to ditch the tb303 while you still can and buy one of these before your tb303 is rendered useless.

one thing REALLY GREAT about it is that it has NO BUGS!!! imagine that... a first release of a unit with no bugs?!?! How can this be!?! When Roland is supposedly soooo freakin smart, they constantly release buggy equipment, as does akai et al... I really think, too, that dsp based japanese stuff has once again been trounced on its ass by good old AMERICAN ingenuity and good ol ANALOG circuits!

The petition for the re-release of the tb303 is now a moot point.. here it is in all its original and futuristic mind enhanced massaged power and glory..bow down beyotches...  )
rob

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/24             07-Sep-98  @  06:52 PM   -   FutureRetro777:memoirs of a junkie

cyborg0

the 777 definitely is a few light years beyond the possibilities of the original tb303, AND it sounds EXACTLY like a real 303.. I hooked mine up, put it on saw wave and jacked the distortion up, and BAM, instant Hardfloor.. but, this thing can crank out far more complex lines.. I have used the filter cv warp mode along with the accents, and have gotten lines that sound like there is a tb303, an mc202, and an Arp 2600 all playing different sequences.. this is due to a lot of the parameters being dependent on accent and on other parameters settings.. the modulation routings rival stuff like the minimoog, Arp 2600, and ms20... amazing.. truly amazing.. this thing WILL dethrone the tb303, guaranteed... it will dethrone a lot of other acid synths also due to the built in sequencer and the 7 pole filter...
I will admit, though, that the sequencer takes a little getting used to due to the fact that you scroll through the notes rather than scrolling through the steps..its kinda weird at first, but for a live situation, this makes it easier to mess with loop points and such on the fly, plus its easier to add rests, glides, and accents.
Basically, you have 16 buttons on the bottom. When you hit a button, the note at that step comes up in the LED numbers..(nixie tubes woulda been cooler, but i digress!  )
At that step, you use up/down buttons to change the value of the note. Very cool..

It also has a sort of random mode.. If you wanna start with all random patterns, Jared stated that one could input any string of midi data into it during a dump, and that would be seen as sysex by the machine, and it would go ahead and place that info in the memory, whatever it might turn out to be.. very interesting!

Loop points and all other data seems to be ROCK solid and is able to be changed during play with no hiccup! wow..

I no longer want another tb303.. as far as im concerned, the tb303 no longer exists except in trax where ppl pay far too much for far too little..

This thing puts ANY mod you can do to the tb303 to shame! I would buy 10 of these before i would buy a tb303 for anything over 300 bux.. the tb303 will be put in its rightful place..Im just happy to have had the opportunity to be part of music history by being one of the first ppl to own one.. Its time to ditch the tb303 while you still can and buy one of these before your tb303 is rendered useless.

one thing REALLY GREAT about it is that it has NO BUGS!!! imagine that... a first release of a unit with no bugs?!?! How can this be!?! When Roland is supposedly soooo freakin smart, they constantly release buggy equipment, as does akai et al... I really think, too, that dsp based japanese stuff has once again been trounced on its ass by good old AMERICAN ingenuity and good ol ANALOG circuits!

The petition for the re-release of the tb303 is now a moot point.. here it is in all its original and futuristic mind enhanced massaged power and glory..bow down beyotches...  )
rob

Message 3/24             07-Sep-98  @  07:00 PM   -   FutureRetro777:memoirs of a junkie

cyborg0

rob

Message 4/24             07-Sep-98  @  07:01 PM   -   RE: FutureRetro777:memoirs of a junkie

cyborgdumbass

sorry bout the multiples..rob

Message 5/24             07-Sep-98  @  10:36 PM   -   RE: FutureRetro777:memoirs of a junkie

DONīT FORGET: IīTS ONLY A CLONE !!!!!

Message 6/24             08-Sep-98  @  04:00 AM   -   RE: FutureRetro777:memoirs of a junkie

x2c4nrg

WOOOOOHHHHHHOOOOOOO!!!!! Im lucky enough to get on the waiting list. I think the 777 is now sold out but dont really know. When I got on the list, I was told there were four more left. Theres nothing wrong with a clone. Wouldn't you rather have something that gives you a choice of sounds rather than just one. Dont get me wrong, I love the acid sound from the TB 303, but I would also love to do the same style with a different sound. Who cares if you have the original when you have something that has the exact same sound and then some. Especially for around the same price, sometimes less. This thing has drum sounds too. Its sequence the same as the TB 303 and even better. It has more seq options like 4/4, loop points, 7 pole filter, and all the good stuff. Too, too much to name. Definitly worth looking in to!!! -Pete

Message 7/24             08-Sep-98  @  04:05 AM   -   RE: FutureRetro777:memoirs of a junkie

x2c4nrg

Heres some stuff Jered told me about the 777 sequencer.

"The sequencing is done in a similar way as the original
303, but much more friendly (ie. you have all the same features of the original
accent, glide, 3/4 and 4/4 time sig., plus a five octave oscillator range, and
pattern loop points. There is also a 4 digit display to show: note pitch, tempo,
transpose, plus the song and midi status.
All the pattern information can be recorded and/or changed while the sequencer
is running, and also is automatically saved.)
If you would prefer to use an external keyboard controller or sequencer to play
the analog section of the 777, you can do this with our midi features. You can
also use the 777's sequencer to play your midi or cv/ gate gear."

Message 8/24             08-Sep-98  @  02:38 PM   -   RE: FutureRetro777:memoirs of a junkie

cyborg)

The thing rocks...once you get the hang of the sequencer, its amazing. everything that was good about the original tb303 sequencer is there without all the BS. the ability to change the loop point with a push of a button is great! you can do it while it is playing and make the sequence hella complex sounding.. its really cool that you can actually play this sequencer like its own instrument! Oh, and, BTW, the sound is exactly like the 303!! My jaw absolutely dropped when i heard it..i couldnt believe it.. I really couldnt. PLUS, the built in distortion knob is better than ANY distortion pedal, since you get distortion in ALL frequencies.. its easy to reproduce any snarly hardfloor line, then take it over the top into a by jacking up the res max. and modulating the filter. Makes "higher state of consciousness" seem tame.
Plus it does it while retaining the groove of the sequencer and the sound of the real thing.. Hell, lets be honest, it is the real thing, only better and set up the way the real tb303 should have been..If the tb303 would have had all these features, it would have had to been produced in the millions to keep up with the demand!
rob

Message 9/24             11-Sep-98  @  05:50 AM   -   RE: FutureRetro777:memoirs of a junkie

buggo

who makes the 777??? never heard of it!

Message 10/24             11-Sep-98  @  09:13 AM   -   RE: FutureRetro777:memoirs of a junkie

Future Retro Synthesizers at:
http://www.angelfire.com/biz2/FutureRetro
You'll be hearing plenty of it soon!!!

Message 11/24             11-Sep-98  @  09:16 AM   -   RE: FutureRetro777:memoirs of a junkie

WOW! Righteous Dude!

Message 12/24             30-Sep-98  @  09:02 AM   -   RE: FutureRetro777:memoirs of a junkie

celtic d

hey,where can I find one of these and for how much?Is it based on step programing?Is guitar center going to have'um?........will the spice girls use one?

Message 13/24             30-Sep-98  @  09:18 AM   -   RE: FutureRetro777:memoirs of a junkie

I heard Ginger spice designed it...haha

Message 14/24             30-Sep-98  @  03:28 PM   -   RE: FutureRetro777:memoirs of a junkie

x2c4nrg

Ha! I should recieve my 777 on Friday the 2nd. I cant wait. You can only order them directly from the site, so they wont hit any music store. Ill mess with it for a second and post my opinion. There is a long waiting list, I was lucky enough to get one. He produces one a day, for how long...??? That means the resale price is going to skyrocket in the near future. I believe this will be the new acid factory. Jered, from Future Retro, said that Crystal Method has one on the way too and will be used on thier next album. We'll see what happens.

Message 15/24             01-Oct-98  @  03:00 AM   -   RE: FutureRetro777:memoirs of a junkie

Ce;ltic Dre

hey x2c4,how much is he sellin'um 4?

Message 16/24             01-Oct-98  @  05:24 AM   -   RE: FutureRetro777:memoirs of a junkie

x2c4nrg

They are $777 plus shipping. Mine came to a total of $785.
Its alot cheaper than buying a second hand 303 and its waaaaayyyyyyy more versitile. You can create drums and some really freaky sounds. This thing has no limit of capabilities.

Message 17/24             01-Oct-98  @  10:06 PM   -   RE: FutureRetro777:memoirs of a junkie

cd

when you get yours definetly post your feedback!!!!

Message 18/24             02-Oct-98  @  04:34 AM   -   RE: FutureRetro777:memoirs of a junkie

keltic dream

just ordered mine,I got a 2 mounth wait!

Message 19/24             02-Oct-98  @  10:13 AM   -   RE: FutureRetro777:memoirs of a junkie

The obvious

Er, have you lot ever used anything else but 303's and 777's. cos it seems you've never seen an analogue synth that had a sequencer and could synthesise drums before... If you aint them good for you because there are hundreds of diff synths that can do this.. wow it'll be like christmas for you all over again.

Message 20/24             02-Oct-98  @  12:25 PM   -   RE: FutureRetro777:memoirs of a junkie

cyborg0

I have had MANY analog synths and NONE of them can sequence drum lines like the 777.. The secret is to put it into envelope mode, where you have control of the accent envelope and decay envelope SEPERATELY! That means, you could accent all the notes that you want to be closed hi hats, and leave unaccented all those that you want to be bass drums and control the decay of each envelope seperately... Then, you could use the filter to CV to control the filter amount..This all combines to give you MANY different variables to make excellent drum riffs..
But, no, none of us have ever used anything other than 303s since were all rich and bought 10 of them.  

Message 21/24             02-Oct-98  @  01:27 PM   -   RE: FutureRetro777:memoirs of a junkie

The not-so obvious after all

Oh I know what you mean,, I use a different 909 for each drum sound..

Anyway.. I thought the 777 was mono? if it is could you explain how you can get a kick and a hh out of 1 sequence... Or does the 777 change programs really quickly with no apparent clicking (you know what I mean?)... I think maybe a demo would be a good idea.. (but not one of those future music style spanish flamenco acid waltz riffs ;-) )...

Maybe you should re-name this the 777 chat room?

Laters...

Message 22/24             02-Oct-98  @  08:09 PM   -   RE: FutureRetro777:memoirs of a junkie

cyborg0

Well, of course, they cannot make the bd and hihat at exactly the same time, but by messing with the two different envelopes, using the notes to control the filter amount through filter CV you can have it changing the filter dynamics AND env in real-time. So, what you are using for your main osc is a noise wave, but, with the filter all the way down, it can sound like a kik, and with the filter up, you get the pure noise out...
Theres a LOT of flexibility, Im telling ya..Thats just the beginning..
Ill whoop up a little realaudio example..
Rob

Message 23/24             04-Oct-98  @  09:02 PM   -   RE: FutureRetro777:memoirs of a junkie

CE;LTIC DREA;M

hey rob I'd like to here your 777

Message 24/24             07-Oct-98  @  05:40 AM   -   RE: FutureRetro777:memoirs of a junkie

x2c4nrg

I just got my 777 and Ill tell ya...ITS A FUCKIN' MONSTER!!! This thing is fuckin fresh. Itll take a me long time to figure out all the functions though. This box rocks. It sounds like an actual TB 303...and with a little adjustment...a Bass Station. Ill fool with it a little more and Ill post more info later.

Viewing all 24 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 24 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)