aaa TR909 AND TB303...... - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: TR909 AND TB303......

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/12             03-Nov-98  @  03:16 PM   -   TR909 AND TB303......

Ryan

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

...And there I was sitting with the two most idiotic priced modules ever (after they were taken out of production). I have to say that you can create some really wicked acid tracks, but...I sometimes catch myself on sampling some kicks and bassdrums from vinyl.

why, you ask? Well, most of the time I just can't get that punchin' sound which make the 909 so popular. Is that because I haven't got the mixing skills to create this "punch" from my mixing desk or...?

Anyway, I just want to prevent that I didn't make the right decision on buying the 909...

Any comments?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             03-Nov-98  @  03:48 PM   -   RE: TR909 AND TB303......

Looney Boy

Fret not, We all sample stuff from vinal even the big boys do. I like to sample a drum loop and put the 909 kick behind it with some hats. Though if you just want to use the TR909 and you want that punchy feel you need some effects. Reverb or hell just anything. Also what kind of monitors do you use? I use to use my home speaakers and when I switched over to some good monitors I could hear the difference. Well some times. You have to remember they key is effects. Same for the TB303. Though the TB303 can sound pretty good by itself. If you do not have any effect units try sampling a drum loop from the 909 and mess around with Lfo, modulation, or any other effect you might have on your sampler. Don't fret we all spent too much money for our XOX boxes but we have them so we shall use them. well I hope this has been some help to you.

Message 3/12             03-Nov-98  @  03:49 PM   -   RE: TR909 AND TB303......

Richie

this is where a compressor comes in really handy.. Not to mention a decent mid swept eq.. use the mid swept to cut to taste and raise the gain to compensate..

Message 4/12             03-Nov-98  @  03:59 PM   -   RE: TR909 AND TB303......

Ryan

Ok, Ok. I do have Mid sweep and I do have three effect Units. But the thing is I need some one to teach me. Until this day I'm producing tracks on my own. Haven't got a lot of friends around who are also in this music making (money spending) business.

But anyway, thnx.

More suggestions?

Message 5/12             03-Nov-98  @  05:19 PM   -   RE: TR909 AND TB303......

Ryan

...And I'm using Absolute 2 monitors by Soundcraft....

Message 6/12             04-Nov-98  @  08:33 AM   -   RE: TR909 AND TB303......

skot_e

Suggestion: experimentation!
Just keep on playin round till you get what you like, I mean after all I could tell you what I do, but it don't mean you will like it, right?

Message 7/12             04-Nov-98  @  11:41 AM   -   RE: TR909 AND TB303......

Ryan

That's right.

Message 8/12             04-Nov-98  @  04:33 PM   -   RE: TR909 AND TB303......

Richie

What sort of a kick are you after??

Listen to some tracks and just listen to the kick.. they all vary so mutch that you can really get away with any kind of kick, as long as it suits the track and aint weedy..

Try just overdriving your desk so that the kick is just getting that warm kind of ovedrive.. not lots, your just after a subtle change in the sound and a slight compression from the desk (very slight).. now find the point on the desk with the mid where the kick drum sounds the most punchy (or muddy if you turn it up too high) instead of raising the gain try lowering it slightly so that the bass of the kick appears to sound fatter and warmer.. hopefully you should now be listening to a classic 909 kick..
Ok here is another tip I picked up the otherday from a mate.. layer a bass note on the kick drum.. you'll have to muck about with this because I still aint got this right myself.. that is how you get those really long but not 808 style kicks that sound in tune with the track.. you just filter out the bass untill it's a subtle effect rather than a full on bass sound. This works best with short 909 kicks..

Message 9/12             07-Nov-98  @  07:09 PM   -   RE: TR909 AND TB303......

Larry

What kind of "punch" are you looking for? Do you have the kick drum isolated from the main out mix? It seems you have all the info needed right here. EQ is the biggest factor. Although i don't own an out board eq, i still manage to get a real tough kick. But i ALWAYS run the kick drum out on it's own line. Try turning down the bass a little bit. Not too much, but just a little. Also, turn the pan know at about oh, 1:00. And make sure you have the low eq setting at it's own place. Oh, if you have a gate, try triggering it with the kick drum thru the side chain while running a bass note also. You'll have to split the K.D. to it's own channel & to the side chain. Make srue & gate the K.D. & the bass note. That should ad a little punchyness to it. For more info on what i'm talking about, refer to Keyboard magazine November '98 issue. It's all in there. But if you're looking for that classic Rotterdam style kick, it's all a distortion pedal.

Message 10/12             08-Nov-98  @  01:19 AM   -   RE: TR909 AND TB303......

Larry

What kind of "punch" are you looking for? Do you have the kick drum isolated from the main out mix? It seems you have all the info needed right here. EQ is the biggest factor. Although i don't own an out board eq, i still manage to get a real tough kick. But i ALWAYS run the kick drum out on it's own line. Try turning down the bass a little bit. Not too much, but just a little. Also, turn the pan know at about oh, 1:00. And make sure you have the low eq setting at it's own place. Oh, if you have a gate, try triggering it with the kick drum thru the side chain while running a bass note also. You'll have to split the K.D. to it's own channel & to the side chain. Make srue & gate the K.D. & the bass note. That should ad a little punchyness to it. For more info on what i'm talking about, refer to Keyboard magazine November '98 issue. It's all in there. But if you're looking for that classic Rotterdam style kick, it's all a distortion pedal.

Message 11/12             08-Nov-98  @  01:20 AM   -   RE: TR909 AND TB303......

Larry

Ops, sorry.

Message 12/12             09-Nov-98  @  03:04 PM   -   RE: TR909 AND TB303......

Richie

You mean that the kick drum is triggering the side chain to the bass note so that the kick cuts out the bass note? then the bass fades in as the kick fades out? or vica verca?

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)