aaa TB-303 Live Use - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

07-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: TB-303 Live Use

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             03-Nov-98  @  06:30 PM   -   TB-303 Live Use

gonzo1200

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I was just curious to know how everyone here uses their 303's live. Do you trigger
patterns manually? Sync through cv/gate, midi, etc..? What type of sequencer do you use or what other gear is it chained to. My 303 gets a little out of sync sometimes so I'm hesitant to take it out with me yet I don't want to start sampling it because it'll loose that tweakability. Thanks.

MM

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             03-Nov-98  @  06:58 PM   -   RE: TB-303 Live Use

Ryan

Well, it depends on where your 303 is in the midi chain. The more devices you have between your Pc and your 303, the more chance there is that your 303 goes out of sync. So my advice is to connect your 303 directly after your PC midi output.

As far as I know there isn't another way to chance your patterns without doing it manually.

Message 3/7             03-Nov-98  @  07:07 PM   -   RE: TB-303 Live Use

Sorry, what I said was a little misleading, My 303 is directly hooked up to my 707 which is the master clock. It still drifts a little. Is their a way to switch between patterns while it is recieving din sync...in pattern mode, not track. Doesnt a certain mod allow this to be done? Thanks

MM

Message 4/7             03-Nov-98  @  08:58 PM   -   RE: TB-303 Live Use

Looney Boy

Buy a midi to sync converter. That is the best way. I have the DOEPFER MSY2. It was pretty cheap about $100. You can use a power supply with it or it can run on the power from your midi cable. But I have noticed when I use the power supply it never drifts. I sync it with my computer. but Live I use my Akai MPC 3000. And if you are in pattern mode you can only select patterns manually.
Peace.

Message 5/7             09-Nov-98  @  01:37 PM   -   RE: TB-303 Live Use

cyborg0

Well, the 505 and 707 have a few problems syncing to midi. My 505 will sync to certain clocks, and then it gets cranky about others and I have found no definitive answer yet as to what it will and will not sync properly to. The 707 I had used to do the same thing. I think it has to do with the processor speed and design of some of the cheap early drum machines. This problem usually gets worse when I try to sync them to a computer, but only on certain sequencer programs. I would say for you NOT to use the roland gear (cept the 909) to go from midi to sync cuz you will get a delay. Get either a Drumstation (although I have heard of probs with this) Syntecno TeeBee, or a Doepher, Kenton, or something like that to sync to. Bang for buck, if you need a sync interface you might as well get a Syntecno TeeBee and get another 303 AND a 4 channel midi/cv to boot.
Rob

Message 6/7             09-Dec-98  @  12:41 AM   -   RE: TB-303 Live Use

Are you using a DIN cable or a MIDI cable? All you gotta do is press the 8 pattern buttons to change patterns. Not too hard:0) You can't sync through CV/Gate because those go out, not in. You'd have to MOD it to have CV/Gate inputs.

Message 7/7             09-Dec-98  @  09:22 AM   -   RE: TB-303 Live Use

Richie

The drumstation problem is that it does not sync very well.. But this has been attributed to the power supply that was shipped with quite a lot of units. If the power supply is rated at 500ma you need to get something around 1000ma. This also solves the other problems with the unit, proper polyphony, note off recognition will work correctly, sync will work, unit wont suddenly crash, and the individual outputs will all have the proper gain.

But definatley an excellent unit for live work.

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)