aaa What's best for distorting the TB-303 - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: What's best for distorting the TB-303

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3             27-Dec-98  @  12:56 AM   -   What's best for distorting the TB-303

extrann

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

What effects unit do i need to get the best distorted sound out of a 303.. And I don't mean overdriving my mixer main input...

Tnx,

ExTrAnN

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/3             07-Jan-99  @  05:50 PM   -   RE: What's best for distorting the TB-303

ADA MP1 - look for a used one. Real tubes. Great for
distortion.

Message 3/3             07-Jan-99  @  08:42 PM   -   RE: What's best for distorting the TB-303

cyborg0

Overdriving your mixer is the ONLY way to get really good distortion that will also repeat all the dynamics of the tb303.. if you arent overdriving your mixer at least a little bit, youre fooling yourself.. Youll never get that type of dynamic distortion.. even on my 777 the distortion is VERY good, but I STILL add a little mixer gain overdrive to round it off..
Of course, if you are going digital, you are stuck.. But, OTOH, if you use a guitar pedal, it usually has far too much sustain..
The only other way is to use a good analog compressor and set the input gain all the way.. thats the closest you will come to true mixer type distortion that reproduces that Hardfloor type distortion.
A good unit to use for this is the Alesis 3630.. its cool, plus you get compression! Try it, youll like it!
Its like getting a distortion unit AND a compressor all in one, and they go for about 125 bux used now..
WHATEVER you do, DONT try this trick with any of the newer DSP compressors.. they suck.
Alesis 3630 or a DBX units work best.
Rob

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)