aaa Please give me the basics on CV and GATE - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Please give me the basics on CV and GATE

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             14-Jan-99  @  10:32 PM   -   Please give me the basics on CV and GATE

jcraig

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Being a new tb-303 owner, I must ask obvious questions.....what do CV and GATE functions do, and just what gets plugged into those particular holes anyway?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             15-Jan-99  @  04:10 AM   -   RE: Please give me the basics on CV and GATE

pedicelli

Hey...new to the TB-303? It's a very limiting machine, so if you get bored of it, I'll take it off your hands, I'm a collector....

The CV/GATE is what's used to synchronize to other old analogue devices such as the TR-909 and TR-808...but today, you might wanna incorporate this into a MIDI setup, so you'll need a MIDI CV-GATE converter which converts the CV signal into MIDI...

But basically which your question refers to is a matter of synchronization...it's just a primitive form of MIDI.

Message 3/10             15-Jan-99  @  12:28 PM   -   RE: Please give me the basics on CV and GATE

jcraig

as if...I've only had it a month and wanted one for the last four years. nice try though. I have synced it to a 606 and to an 808 before using the DIN five-pin cord and I got the jist of that...
but is there any difference between these sync methods besides the shape of the plug? any different capabilities available between DIN, GATE, andCV? It seems there must be...
Oh yeah, anyone want to explain what MIX IN is good for? Like I said, I'm very new...
...but I'm hooked all the same 

Message 4/10             15-Jan-99  @  03:04 PM   -   RE: Please give me the basics on CV and GATE

cyborg0

Ok, the din sync24 gives you the sync/timing output.

the CV is the voltage information that the synth uses to make the various pitches. It tells it how high the pitch is.
the GATE is the note on/off information. It tells it how long the notes are.

So, if you have another analog synth, connect the cv out to the cv in of the analog synth.
Connect the gate out of the tb303 to the gate in of the other synth..

Now, you can control the other synth with the tb303 sequencer when you get tired of the 303 sound.
Rob

Message 5/10             15-Jan-99  @  05:08 PM   -   RE: Please give me the basics on CV and GATE

jcraig

very interesting...the only way I'd heard of to use the 303 sequencer on another box was to plug the SYNC cord halfway in, thus making it a SYNC out. But I didn't have the magic touch to make it work so there I go. What size cord do I use in the CV and GATE holes (how would I explain it to the Radio Shack dudes?)

Message 6/10             16-Jan-99  @  11:36 AM   -   RE: Please give me the basics on CV and GATE

x

Just take your 303 with you and show them your holes , they will know?

Message 7/10             17-Jan-99  @  03:20 PM   -   RE: Please give me the basics on CV and GATE

brettb

I've just bought a 303 with a "little MCV" box
for converting MIDI from sequencer/master keyboard into
Gate and CV messages to control the 303, but whatever
settings I use, nothing seems to happen. Does anyone
have any tips on how to do this, and also how to sync up
for timing etc.??

Message 8/10             19-Jan-99  @  02:17 AM   -   RE: Please give me the basics on CV and GATE

To answer most of those questions:

The sync in is used to sync the 303, the cv/gate is not used for syncing, and you can't control the 303 from midi unless it's modded for cv/gate inputs, it will only send cv/gate. The plugs for cv/gate on the tb are 3.5 mm, the same kind you use on your walkman. Return your little MCV for the little sync 24 box if you need to sync it.

Message 9/10             19-Jan-99  @  05:03 PM   -   RE: Please give me the basics on CV and GATE

Al

Hey Brett! Is that you?

Message 10/10             23-Jan-99  @  11:42 PM   -   RE: Please give me the basics on CV and GATE

computercontrled

Correct. The 303 DOES NOT have CV/ Gate inputs. At least someone figured it out. The size you need is 1/8". But unfortunatly, it doesn't send qlide & accent info like the 202 does. Have fun with the 303, it's a fun machine.
-Larry

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)