aaa ReBirth - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

11-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: ReBirth

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/15             08-Feb-99  @  11:18 PM   -   ReBirth

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Better than the real thing?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/15             08-Feb-99  @  11:44 PM   -   RE: ReBirth

pedicelli

The sound is 99.99999999% accurate. Don't bother buying a real TB-303 today, because it's a 20 year old piece of equipment and you never know when it's gonna break down. It's no longer reliable (unless it's been sitting in ints original case since 1982-83) or if it's still in the box.

Get Rebirth and a MIDI controller to tweak all the knobs and such. I recommend the Roland MCR-8 Multi Controller over everything else on the market, including the Phatboy which so many people talk about. Check out the MCR-8 section of my webpage, and look around other places to compare it against the Phatboy:

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Museum/3068/smek.htm

Message 3/15             09-Feb-99  @  03:31 PM   -   RE: ReBirth

x2c4nrg

The sound is close but its not really the same. The TB-303 is analog so the sound is deep and you can feel it and not only hear it. ReBirth uses physical modeling, virtual, like digital almost, so the sound isn't as deep. Its definatly the best software clone though. So really what Im trying to say is that the sound IS the same but the ReBirth sound isn't as bassy. You can boost the bass though if you run it through your mixer and adjust the bass to make it more punchy. Or, you can use the PCF to get a super deep, fat bassline.

Hope this helped some.

ReZo-99
High Society

Message 4/15             10-Feb-99  @  04:29 PM   -   RE: ReBirth

steakhouse

Yes, you don't really 'hear' the difference, but you FEEL it, certainly.

Message 5/15             12-Feb-99  @  10:13 PM   -   RE: ReBirth

Thne phatboy is the best, it has all the knobs to control the TB-303, whereas the Roland MCR-8 only has 8 knobs which makes it absolutely shit!

Message 6/15             13-Feb-99  @  12:50 AM   -   RE: ReBirth

x2c4nrg

Dont start that shit again!

ReZo-99

Message 7/15             13-Feb-99  @  01:28 AM   -   RE: ReBirth

pedicelli

Ok...I'm only gonna say this once more, and if you wanna argue anymore, you can go screw yourself. It actually has 9 knobs, and 17 with the dual function (the 9th doesn't have dual function). The MCR-8 is more useful for Rebirth because it can control more parameters. It can control the 303, the 808, the 909, the patterns of the 303, 808, and 909. It can control the effects, the volumtes, the panning, everything. It can do all of this on one machine..

Message 8/15             13-Feb-99  @  08:10 PM   -   RE: ReBirth

the maddest cunt around

Personally I think the Peavey PC1600 is best, coz it does nice toast and If you ask it nicely it will even do some spontaneous tweaking on the fly.

Message 9/15             18-Feb-99  @  04:32 AM   -   RE: ReBirth

use your rebirth and then use your tb. they are not the same. They did a very good job but some stuff the TB does, rebirth doesn't. If you slide every note on rebirth, it will continue to slide and slide and will never end until you stop it. On the TB, if you slide your whole patern, it will go for about 4 seconds then fade itself out. It won't keep sliding like the rebirth. There are a few other little things that only a Tb fein would notice. I haven't used rebirth for a long as time since I've got the real thing. And you know what they say, "aint nothin like the real thing". Also, programing each is totally not same either. I prefer programing the real over the fake anyday. Many people don't agree, but basically once you get used to it, you can program any pattern you've heard or imagined. It becomes like a second nature. But overall, rebirth is eceptionally good. But if you've got the money, and can't stand anything else, buy one. I remember, I used to be a rebirth head. I lived on the stupid thing. Finding out how much they are really broke off buying one. But I wen't to toronto, where a guy was selling one, and I was like.........let me try this thing. And let me tell you, soon as you grab onto those little knobs, there is no going back. I broke down and paid cash instantly. It's the only synth/drum machine I've ever purchased. And may be the only I'll ever buy. It's just so amazing, nothing can compare. But anyways, I'll never stop talking about this little thing. So I'm out.
Oh, yeah, anyone who makes fun of it for any reason at all, is basically making fun of history, the present, and electronic music itself. This machine is the most demanded synth in history. And to the guy that said he wouldn't trade his I think "proficy?". Fuck, your lost, and I'd piss on a proficy for a TB-303. Anyway, later.

Message 10/15             18-Feb-99  @  02:39 PM   -   RE: ReBirth

cyborg0

the "slide degeneration" is a problem I have solved.. its a very easy mod to do. Takes a wire, a resistor and a diode..
Ask me about it here and ill tell ya!
On my fr777, it does the same thing.. the slide runs out after a while.. but using the tb303 schematics, I have found a way to mod it for infinite glide.. very simple actually, and ANYONE can add it, as long as you have a solder iron, some wire, 220k resistor, 1n4148/1n914 diode.
Rob

Message 11/15             18-Feb-99  @  02:46 PM   -   RE: ReBirth

another thing, too, is the FR777 DEFINITELY has more balls than rebirth, as does the syntecno TeeBee.. there are just some harmonics that are totally lost in the digital realm, and just cuz we cant really hear them, doesnt mean they dont shape the sound..
BTW, on rebirth, you can lower the filter knob, and raise the accent knob, and you cant hear the unaccented notes at all, but you can hear the accented notes..This is not possible to this degree on a real tb303.
BUT, I have also modded my fr777 so that you can literally TURN OFF unaccented notes! All normal notes are not heard, but the accented notes are loud and clear...
This is another fairly easy mod..
I also have revamped the distortion circuit so that when you switch to phase, the volume doesnt go down and the phase mod makes the fr777 sound super throaty, like on "confusion", on the "BLADE" soundtrack.. I love it..
;)
Rob

Message 12/15             18-Feb-99  @  11:32 PM   -   RE: ReBirth

pedicelli

If you knew what the Korg Prophecy could do, you wouldn't trade it for a 303 either.

Message 13/15             17-Mar-99  @  06:44 PM   -   RE: ReBirth

man fuck you and your shitty pussy ass korg prophecy, and fuck all them idiots with their 777 only the DON called the TB-303 is the dogs bollox.

Message 14/15             17-Mar-99  @  08:27 PM   -   RE: ReBirth

(to the posting above) Please, on your knees fool!! What's all this crap about the 303 being almighty, it's a great tool but not so great to forget about anything else! C'mon........As far as the Korg Prophecy, It Kicks ass as well!!

Message 15/15             19-Mar-99  @  12:09 AM   -   RE: ReBirth

pedicelli

According to the massive amounts of 777 reviews, it will outdue the TB-303 because it replicates it 100% and does more. It's filters and most of its circuitry are analog and the sequencer is digital....

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)