aaa 303's life expectancy - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

10-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: 303's life expectancy

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             02-Mar-99  @  08:28 AM   -   303's life expectancy

confusionrecords

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I've heard that the life expectancy for the TB-303's filters is only 15-20 years??? And that one day, you'll turn it on and it won't make a sound. The fitlers just die. I don't know if this is true? But I need someone to tell me! Cause if my machine decides to die, then I'll decide to die with it!!!! The last week or so, I've been wondering what I would do if I woke up to a 303 that kicked the bucket. And then though "holly shit, what would happen if they all died within a year"??? Like just imagine, all the 303's in the world had just died!!! To me, it would be like a extinction in music! You know, like when an animal is extinct, it's sad and you only have pics and videos of the thing, but if you wanna see a real one, it's like.........holly shit, that doesn't even exist anymore! It's a scary thought, and if my 303 die's, I may have to kill myself. Picture, no more "plastikman" and no more acid music! Some one help! And if the filters did die, could I replace them? Is there any way I could get the same filters??? My 303 is only like a year old (used for 1 year) so it's totally mint and unfortunatly, that won't prevent the filters from dieing.

HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Ian

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             02-Mar-99  @  08:30 AM   -   RE: 303's life expectancy

If that's true, I'd better start making a shit load of tracks for the future! So when they die, I've got 100's of tracks ready to go!

Message 3/10             03-Mar-99  @  04:24 PM   -   RE: 303's life expectancy

pedicelli

That's what I've been saying all along, man...the bloody thing isn't worth a grand if it's gonna conk out tomorrow.....it's too old....

Message 4/10             04-Mar-99  @  08:57 PM   -   RE: 303's life expectancy

Yes it's true any electronic circuit has a certain lifespan but I don't think you need to worry too much, in general a well looked after 303 should last upto 100 years or more before things start to degrade. The more worrying point to note with any pre digital analog synth is that the more the caps, resistors and semiconductors have electricity running thru them the less stable they become, resulting in tuning problems, cv problems etc. The most vulnerable parts on the 303 are the switches and rotary knobs as due to the fact that they are operated alot the get mechanical wear. Hope this helps.

Message 5/10             04-Mar-99  @  11:33 PM   -   RE: 303's life expectancy

Thanks for the help! Mine will probably last till 2082 then!!!! Cause it looks like it's fresh out of the package! And I treat it better than I treat myself. So thanks for the help!!!!

Message 6/10             04-Mar-99  @  11:50 PM   -   RE: 303's life expectancy

Hi Pedicelli you in the UK?

Message 7/10             05-Mar-99  @  04:26 AM   -   RE: 303's life expectancy

pedicelli

That's the only way you'd ever get me to buy a real 303.....tip top condition...just like the picture on sonic state's synth site.......you can see the knobs reflecting light...

But you're right...maybe if it's been sitting in the closet for 15 years........it should last long...

Oh, and to the last person, I'm from Canada.

Message 8/10             05-Mar-99  @  09:19 AM   -   RE: 303's life expectancy

Pedicilli, where abouts in canada?

Message 9/10             05-Mar-99  @  03:43 PM   -   RE: 303's life expectancy

spen

Speaking of life expectancy, I have a 303 in the shop right now.....An Authorized Roland Service Center....and they have told me that they cannot get any parts for it. I don't think it's anything major, but a couple of the knobs probably need replacement or something. Does anyone know where I can get this thing diagnosed and repaired? Preferrable in the US, but I'll do whatever it takes to get this thing healthy again. Please email me if you know of a good repair center.

Message 10/10             05-Mar-99  @  05:24 PM   -   RE: 303's life expectancy

pedicelli

Mah, what you so interested in where I live for? I live in the Yukon with the penguins and big grizzly bears....also live in an igloo...imaging how cold my equipment must be..

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)