aaa Korg Prophecy - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Korg Prophecy

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/15             27-Apr-99  @  01:24 AM   -   Korg Prophecy

ReZo-99

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Should I buy a Prophecy for $660 U.S.? I found one and Im wondering if thats a cool price to pay for one.

ReZo-99

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/15             27-Apr-99  @  01:52 AM   -   RE: Korg Prophecy

gmacdona

Link?:  No link

....i wouldnt get one...its monophonic..kinda boring..... i have one  

Message 3/15             27-Apr-99  @  02:39 PM   -   RE: Korg Prophecy

pedicelli

Yo, Pete...you fucked up in the head or what? BUY THE SONNA MA BITCH!!! That's a good price!! (not as good as what I got), but get it if you can't get your friend's Z1!!!

Message 4/15             27-Apr-99  @  03:44 PM   -   RE: Korg Prophecy

ReZo-99

Well, its gone now. Anyways I decided to go with the Nord Lead. Everyones telling me that the sounds in the Nord Lead are much fatter then the Korg sounds. Im told its more versitile too. Versatility is what Im looking for. Besides all my synths are monophonic and now I need a poly synth. Thanks for your feedback though! I appreciate it!

ReZo-99

BTW, I made it to #17 on the trance charts at mp3.com. Thats not bad being that are over 60,000 songs up! Check it out. I uploaded new songs but they aren't up yet. Its a long process. Ill post it here when they are up though.

Peace!

Message 5/15             27-Apr-99  @  05:45 PM   -   RE: Korg Prophecy

squalcho

REZO - that's great about the MP3 chart! I have a buddy that has a ton of stuff up there, and he is a REALLY talented guy. You might want to check out his stuff. His name is Danichi and he is all over the electronic/techno section.

As for the Nord/Prophecy debate, I would definitely go with the Nord. I got a Prophecy a couple of weeks after they were released and it has been a good synth, but my Nord Rack is the center of my synthesis system. I have the expanded Nord Rack I so I have 12 voice polyphony over 4 parts. The Nord is one of the more versatile synths out there, in my opinion, and a must for anyone interested in wild synthesis options. People have talked about the Nord being thin, but I think they have their heads up their asses. Those who are unable to get a fat tone out of the Nord Lead should seek an interest outside of music production. The Nord can produce fatness on many levels, from big-stupid-funky basses to lush pads to sick kick drums. The 808 kick on the Nord is the shizznit. I cannot praise the Nord enough. i just wish I had waited and picked up the Nord II, cuz it has a sine wave, among other things, and for fatness, nothing beats a sine wave underneath. The prophecy is an able synth, but it is monophonic. I think it is a great piece of gear for live performance. If I was playing with P-Funk I would rock the Proph onstage, but if I had to get rid of one of the two, I would definitely keep the Nord. (actually, last time I saw P-Funk, the keyboardist sat in front of his Nord all night and fucked it up with clavs and synth basses nonstop). Let me know what you think of the Nord. i am sure you will dig it.

Oh, forgot something. The Nord (at least the rack version, I think the Keyboard has it too, I would check it out on the Clavia Site) can accept a PCM memoory card that does something like quadruples your memory so that you can store a ton of new patches and create your own drumkits. VERY COOL. I think you can get those cards for like $100.

Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

©hrisFader

Message 6/15             27-Apr-99  @  09:57 PM   -   RE: Korg Prophecy

gmacdona

anyone wanna trade a Prophecy in perfect sondition for sumthin multi timbral ?? i need sumthin with more voices for now....and whoever said the sounds of a Nord are fatter than the Proph....hmmmm i dont think so  

Message 7/15             27-Apr-99  @  10:40 PM   -   RE: Korg Prophecy

ReZo-99

I dont know. I see two different opinions but I guess common sense only tells to take the opinion from the guy who has both. I appriciate all feedback though. I think Im going to go with the Nord since it is more versitile. Thanks agian for your opinions.

ReZo-99

Message 8/15             27-Apr-99  @  11:18 PM   -   RE: Korg Prophecy

pedicelli

Rezo...you're right about the monosynths, you've got more monosynths than you can shake a leg at...BUT with your ASR-10, you can sample the voice from the Prophecy to make polyphonic stuff. I haven't heard the Nordlead, but I've read that the Prophecy is fatter, but then I've heard samples from live performances and sheeee-ittt....one screaming mother!!!

Also have to consider that it's easier to make stuff on the Nordlead....it's got all the buttons and knobs...Prophecy is all interface with menus or software....

But then again, Nordlead is polyphonic, but like I said, with sampling, a Prophecy would be a good idea....it's my main soundsource (my only sound source) and it serves it's purpose. You've heard my songs, so you know what it can do...

Also consider that Nordlead has no effects, Prophecy does....also think that the Prophecy has more oscillators (13)......Nordlead has more keys, Prophecy only has 37......Prophecy has a display and you know what you're doing visually (if you wanna be technical and not do it by ear), Nordlead has what...a 3 character LED display if I remember correctly...

Prophecy is silver...(mmmmm)....Nordlead is red!!

Prophecy looks like a spaceship...Nordlead is thinner than Ally McBeal.....

More outputs on the Nordlead, one set of Mono outs for Prophecy (L/R)

Full MIDI capabilities for both machines (IN, OUT, THRU)

Anything else you guys wanna know?

Message 9/15             28-Apr-99  @  02:17 AM   -   RE: Korg Prophecy

Blue

Pedicelli is cracking me up with the comparisons at the end. prophesy has effects...effects are really nice. Two words...Micro Modular. Nord modular even better but micro for those with smaller budgets(prophesy..nord lead). ATTENTION: THE COMPUTER IS YOUR FRIEND!
The modular series is amazing(period)
ANALOG INPUTS>ALL PARAMS CONTROLLED VIA MIDI>OVER 70 MODULES ..some:MORPH>SIMPLE>SINE>SAW>SQUARE>TRI>STEP SEQUEN>EVENT GEN>SEQUENTIAL SELECTOR>GLIDE>CROSS FADE >LFO W/PHASE LFO/PW>SAW,SQUARE,SIN,TRI LFO>NOISE> (FILTERS)> S/H> Distortion>overdrive. the list goes on and on.A SYNTHESISTS WET DREAM!

Message 10/15             28-Apr-99  @  04:19 AM   -   RE: Korg Prophecy

ReZo-99

Pedicelli, your right about sampling the sound, but I wouldn't want to do that because when you sample a sound, you can't tweak it. I mean, I can if I run it through my Bass Station or 777, but its not the same feeling. That would be like using digital filters and not the analog that we so much love. When you sample a sound, you lose the feeling of it. Take a 909 kick for example, you can take a nice kick with a fat 'punch' to it, sample it, and you'll notice that most of the 'punch' is gone. Your sound becomes digital and it loses its fatness. Its just not the same. I do like the idea of the Prophecy having 13 oscillators though. I dont really need the effects as much, though it would be nice to have anyway, because I have a digital effects rack plus my ASR has over 50 effects with an external input so I can use them.

Im thinking about looking into the Korg Trinity too. Ill have to try them all out and see which one meets my standards. I think the Nord looks alot more user friendly though.

Thanks again for all your replies.

ReZo-99

Message 11/15             28-Apr-99  @  09:55 AM   -   RE: Korg Prophecy

Mies

He Blue your right computers are our friends and the future. ever considered a Creamware Pulsar, a professionel soundcard which has everything from modulair systems until a 32 channel mixer. Check it out at: www.creamware.com

Message 12/15             28-Apr-99  @  09:55 AM   -   RE: Korg Prophecy

Mies

He Blue your right computers are our friends and the future. ever considered a Creamware Pulsar, a professionel soundcard which has everything from modulair systems until a 32 channel mixer. Check it out at: www.creamware.com

Message 13/15             28-Apr-99  @  05:58 PM   -   RE: Korg Prophecy

©hrisFader

Yeah, with a sampler like an ASR, you could go with either. I hate sampling synths personally because my brain works better with synth editing than with sample editing =P

Now about the Nord Modular. What I have to say is FUCK THE NORD MODULAR. But only cuz they don't make it for a Mac and it does not look like they will be soon, according to the guys at Clavia. If I was into PCs, I would have gotten this a long time ago because it is dope on a rope. I played with this for the first time about 3 years ago at the last NAMM that they held in Anaheim...1997. It is some ill shit. You can literally make it do whatever you want to do. If you have a PC with some nuts, you can really go off with the Nord Mod. Want more oscillators? Make 'em up. Control all of your mods on screen and then tweak the parameters with the knobs on the cool little keyboard.

Eventually I will buy a PC just to run the Nord Modular and i will buy it. PCs are cheaper every day and then I could just sequence it using my REAL computer.

=P

There are a lot of software synths coming out all the time, some of which are useful (like SEER Systems Reality), some of which are more for knob tweakers (Nord Mod) and some of which are just trippy, weird, or otherwise geared for the hardcore sound designer (can't remember the name, but saw a program that translated graphical information into sound based on shapes and colors in the graphic). Rambling again....sorry.

©hrisFader

Message 14/15             29-Apr-99  @  12:02 AM   -   RE: Korg Prophecy

pedicelli

Nord Modular is cool from what I've seen, and again, can't go wrong with the computer...it's the most versatile machine on earth (sequencer, synthesizer, sampler...)....Modular has nice patch cord synthesis system...

Rezo..I can understand what you're talking about with the external tweaking....it will sound like shit, better to keep it all in one machine with knobs.

About the Trinity...unless you have the bread, you'd be wasting your money. You already have a sampling workstation....if you want it and are short on money, sell your ASR-10, buy the Trinity and get a Z1 card installed.

Message 15/15             30-Apr-99  @  06:43 AM   -   RE: Korg Prophecy

Skot_e

I know I'd rather have the Nord Modular,
now if only I could find that money tree.....

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)