aaa Acid 303 distortion... - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Acid 303 distortion...

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             06-May-99  @  11:23 PM   -   Acid 303 distortion...

planetalgon

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'd like to hear what distortion effects others are using for 303's and alike. I find that guitar pedals work quite well, and am pretty fond of Electro Harmonix stuff. I use a couple of Big Muffs in parallel with seperate filtering on each. It gives me a super wide range of harmonics. Because the human voice is mainly composed of two resonant frequencies, using two pedals enables me to make the 303 sounds sort of "talk" in a robotic fashion. I almost always use steep filtering of some sort after the distortion to focus the sound to a particular region of the mix. Often, a notch filter at say 1kHz can keep the distorted 303 from dominating the mix. I'm very curious about what other people have come up with. What pedals work well, etc.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             07-May-99  @  04:17 AM   -   RE: Acid 303 distortion...

ReZo-99

Overdrive baby!!!

Message 3/9             07-May-99  @  06:50 PM   -   RE: Acid 303 distortion...

©hrisFader

I use several different set-ups. For that hard-ass in-your-earhole cranking distortion, I use a Boss Turbo Distortion. Very digital and very punishing. Great for making the 303 sound like some kind of fucked up lazer gun. (with the dials at full clockwise). For warmer sounds, I have found the best thing for me to do is plug the 303 directly into the mic input of my DJ mixer. I turn the 303 all the way up and then attenuate it at the mixer. It is killer, and since it is actual distortion and not a digital algorithm, it is a lot more fuzzy without all of the high-end artifacts of the pedal. I sometimes combine my Mu-Tron III (circa 1977 for any busters on the scene with the new one =) with the mic input thing to get that funky filter effect (like people have been talking about the 323). It is an envelope filter that is dependant on the level of the incoming signal. Very funky. The only other thing I do for trippy effects on the 303 is use the Electro-Harmonix Bassballs. It is a great pedal that does something similar to the Mu-Tron with the auto-wah type of envelope filter, but it has a distortion switch that makes it all get so SICK. Both the Mu-Tron III and the Bassballs are 20+ year-old pedals made for bass guitarists, but hell, I have been doing that for a long time and they just happen to work like the BOMB when applied to the 303.

Seriously, though, try the mic input thing. LOVE IT!

©hrisFader

Message 4/9             07-May-99  @  11:26 PM   -   RE: Acid 303 distortion...

planetalgon

Hmm. I never had much luck with the mic input distortion thing. It always sounded so square wavish. Maybe it depends on the mixer your using too. I've done the signal dependant envelope thing like you mentioned and loved the effect. Combined with distortion it ends up sounding very Chemical Bro'ish.
There was an idea I had for miking one of those Danelectro Honeytone Amps with an SM58 for that boxed in sound. Those amps are dirt cheap and may be a good alternative to filtering with bandpass.
I'm going to go back and try the mic input technique again also. Maybe I didn't put enough time into getting the sound right.

d.

Message 5/9             08-May-99  @  12:26 AM   -   RE: Acid 303 distortion...

ReZo-99

Link?: Link

Thats exactly what I do. I run it through my dj mixer mic input and overdrive it. I turn the volume to 10 on the 303 and from there it goes to my Microverb, for some effects, with the input and output set at 10 too and then right in to the mic input on my mixer. The sound I get is like a Hardfloor distortion. I haven't tried any pedals yet cause I like the sound Im already getting. I might look into getting some pedals anyway for a different sound.

ReZo-99

Message 6/9             08-May-99  @  07:22 AM   -   RE: Acid 303 distortion...

planetalgon

Wow, this works great. Sounds fab with a bandpass too. I've spent 6 hours a day for 15 years and every last cent of my income on this crap and never played with the stupid mic inputs on my PA. It's like the shittyness of it makes it jump out and bite your ears off. Thanks!

Message 7/9             11-May-99  @  08:11 AM   -   Hell yeah!

©hrisFader

Right on Rezo. I am glad I was able to give you an idea. I used the mic input because it was the only thing with a single 1/4 inch input!!! and this is what I got. Hey if you wanna check out what mine sounds like, I just got my first song on mp3.com. The artist name is ChrisFader and the song is called War games. Lemme nu what u tink ov it!

Message 8/9             12-May-99  @  01:25 AM   -   RE: Acid 303 distortion...

ReZo-99

Link?: Link

Well Chris, you didn't give the idea, I've always done this...but anyways, Id love to check out your track, Ill check it out tonight. You can hear some of my tracks on mp3.com/highsociety but the only song that uses a real 303 is Panic Attack. The other tracks were done with ReBirth before I got my TB. Panic Attack also uses my 777, its the super distorted bassline through out the song. I have more tracks to add soon.

ReZo-99

Message 9/9             12-May-99  @  06:18 PM   -   RE: Acid 303 distortion...

©hrisFader

Oh, I thought that's what u said. Oh brother! I feel like an asshole... =P Anyway, I would really appreciate the review. I Actually have listened to some of your stuff. I found out about mp3 from a friend of mine but didn't go on there til I saw your post on here a couple of weeks ago. Your stuff is very good. Actually, there is a lot of great stuff on there. I thought there would be a lot of hackers on there, but I really heard a lot of killer shit. I will give you a detailed review of your stuff if you want. I love getting that kind of stuff. Lemme know.

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)