aaa tr909 kick drum, you know you want it - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: tr909 kick drum, you know you want it

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             08-May-99  @  11:26 AM   -   tr909 kick drum, you know you want it

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

anybodz got any tips for effectin the 909 kick drum, i dont make gabba so no overdive stuff...... i was thinking bout reverb.......

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             08-May-99  @  03:11 PM   -   RE: tr909 kick drum, you know you want it

It all depends what end result your trying to achieve, but here's a random goodie:
I like the 909 to hang on more like an 808, but with the drum machine alone, it wont do it. I also prefer the 909 over the 808 for most of the dance because it pounds harder. So what I've done is to cut the attack off of a real blastin 909 kick (one with the tone up high and a short decay), and paste it to the trailing edge of an 808. It takes a bit to get them to blend but once they do you can continue with it like this...Try some heavy compression with slooow release. That will make it hang even longer. Or you can use an analog synth for the 808 part. That way you can make it decay sloowly for as long as you hold down the key, then drop fairly fast when you release it to get ready for the next kick. Now use this kick at the beginning of each measure and make some shorter versions for the rest of the measure. Most people put 808's under the 909 kicks but that can be unpredictable because they can go in and out of phase. When that happens the kicks will get softer and louder all by themselves.
Oh heres another one: You know the song Atom Bomb by Fluke. It's got a cool bass drum sound. What they did was to put a sliding sound at the end of each measure, right before the kick. It has the effect of swinging down before it hits and makes you anticipate it. You really have to hear it on a good system to understand what I mean but in any case...Playing with sounds that have slow attacks leading into other sounds can really make a groove pump naturally. More organic, I guess.
As for XoX reverbs, I've had most luck low pass filtering them with no resonance. A really wide sounding one is better too. Lexicons work well. There's so much stuff I've tried here I could go on forever but I hope this helps.

Message 3/5             08-May-99  @  03:12 PM   -   RE: tr909 kick drum, you know you want it

planetalgon

keep forgetin to put my name on these messages...

Message 4/5             08-May-99  @  03:28 PM   -   RE: tr909 kick drum, you know you want it

jcu3

I've tried some of the stuff your talking about. But I don't have an 808, so it's hard to say considering that you lock the machines up and layer the voices. I do that once and while with the 909 and 606. But just to implement the "glorious" hi-hats from the 606. But thats it. I think you mention some goods points though.

It's people like you who inspire me for new ideas and trax, and keep me from selling all my gear for that used Mercedes that I want.....hehhe

Message 5/5             09-May-99  @  02:14 PM   -   RE: tr909 kick drum, you know you want it

planetalgon

Thanks jcu. I've learned some cool tricks from this site already too. Unfortunately there is only a handful of chatters that contribute worthwhile discussions or comments. TOP subjects like "I need a Rebirth 2.0 crack. Any one have it, I wish I had a girl..., Read the following f**kers" just seem to me like a waste of a great website. It's sad too because read the comments on "The Devilfish Mod". The poor guy just wanted to find out some real info and ended up having to listen to...Well this site doesn't need any more complaining. I just wish that Kilo would maybe get in on this stuff like he used to. To get everyone thinking about what they want to do with these great instruments.

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)