aaa Sequencing and Making Good Loops - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Sequencing and Making Good Loops

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             10-May-99  @  02:08 AM   -   Sequencing and Making Good Loops

pedicelli

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Here's the situation:

I'm working with my Korg Prophecy, Cakewalk Audio Pro 6.0, and Sonic Foundry Acid...

What I've done before in the past was simply have a 909 pattern from Rebirth layered in Sonic Foundry (as a wave of course, it's a wave sequencer), and then hit record, and recorded in a live pattern from my Prophecy. This always caused tiny faults in the loops, so I started trying something else..

I now record the live pattern into Cakewalk as MIDI...I rearange the MIDI notes as perfectly as possible so that when I hit play, it loops perfectly and sounds dandy...then I make a channel in Cakewalk to transform that MIDI sequence into a wave file (Cakewalk plays the MIDI, and the audio from the Prophecy is exported to the IN of my soundcard to make the wave...)

Fine...I then select Cool Edit Pro to open up the wave which was just created (there doesn't seem to be an individual wave saving feature in Cakewalk for some reason, so I have to do this...)...I then save the created wave...

Then I go into Acid, and insert it at the appropriate BPM, but when I create two measures of the loop, I hear that annoying fuckin' click and it doesn't sound looped properly.

What I suspect is that it's the effects from the Prophecy (a bit of reverb) that's causing the problem, but if I take them off, it doesn't sound the way I want it to and then I'm forced to use directx plugins which just take up more processing power...

Can anyone out there help me? I want to get a solid procedure on layering Prophecy patterns into Sonic Foundry Acid. Like before, I was thinking of getting the ER-1, but if I can't make basic fuckin' loops perfect, it's kinda stupid to expand more equipment cause I'll just have the same problem with the drum machine....

(for those of you who don't know the Prophecy, it's monophonic and obviously has only one part, so forget more complicated MIDI part functions....the Prophecy also has no sequencer, so software is enevitable in my situation)

(sorry for the bitch ass long message, but I've gotta get this problem resolved...thanks)

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             10-May-99  @  05:26 PM   -   RE: Sequencing and Making Good Loops

planetalgon

Link?:  No link

My first guess would be that all of your various programs have slightly different clock rates. Not all sequencers run the same. It's very common to have problems when you are combining hard disk recording and MIDI sequencing. See if it is possible to run one program only as the master clock.(or better yet, get it externally). And always make your loops extend into the first beat of the next loop, or course. But I could be completely misunderstanding your problem...

Message 3/8             10-May-99  @  11:58 PM   -   RE: Sequencing and Making Good Loops

pedicelli

Ya, no I think the clock rates are different.....I'm also not too familiar with these programs (Cakewalk and Cool Edit Pro) either, so I need to sit down with them a little longer...can't do this until school finishes.....

What I noticed is that when I hit record to make the MIDI sequence playback and to create the wave, there's a bit of a delay which causes a little blank spot at the beginning...

This might all not be a matter of effects, just working more and more with editing the loops...I used to be really good at this with trackers (Fasttracker II), but now it's a totally different interface for editing the loops...

Message 4/8             11-May-99  @  12:32 AM   -   RE: Sequencing and Making Good Loops

planetalgon

Well it sounds like you have your hands full. Learning how to use new gear is the pits. All I want to do is get the music down. Mostly I just use my ears and a calculator. I've steered clear of a computer based system partly because of what your dealing with... Good for Email though.

Message 5/8             11-May-99  @  07:51 PM   -   RE: Sequencing and Making Good Loops

pedicelli

Ya, but without the computer, I'd need a hardware sequencer, and Akai unit or bitch-ass $3,000 sampling workstation with built in sequencer...I unfortunately don't have the money for that....

That's why the computer is such a versatile machine, but you just gotta learn the software inside and out....something which I'll have to figure out after my exams are finished...

Anyone good at second level Calculus?  

Message 6/8             11-May-99  @  08:40 PM   -   RE: Sequencing and Making Good Loops

jcu3

I agree with planetalgon@ttlc.net,
those computer based sequencers can be brain damage. I bought Acid and Sound Forge about a month ago. And I played with ACID for about two days and gave up. It sounded great with factory loops that the CD comes with, but when you import your own, and try to lock up the pc with midi and keep time with all your other pieces of gear, it's starts to drift. I can't stand that. Hardware sequencers rule. Especially, the RMIX. 16 step grid machine with 480 clocks/quarter note resolution. I need to buy that thing next. ....oops, sorry. a little off the subject of the original issue. Pedecilli good luck on those tests!

Message 7/8             12-May-99  @  02:15 AM   -   RE: Sequencing and Making Good Loops

planetalgon

Yeah, I do like a computer for sequencing loops though. An Atari with Cubase is satisfying enough. The built in MIDI ports make it rock solid for timing too. Super portable. A bunch of hardware sequencers I've got but mostly just use the Atari. Forget it when it comes to combining them together. Just too unpredictable and complicated. My favorite hardware sequencer is probably the bare bones Quasi 309. But loop editing? I just get good with my ears and that mix is in the pocket. The RM1X looks fab. Please let me know what you think of it Jcu. Although I'm not real fond of Yamaha stuff, I'd consider it, if it meets the mark. Did you get that prob straight Pedicelli?

Message 8/8             13-May-99  @  03:19 AM   -   RE: Sequencing and Making Good Loops

pedicelli

Ya, I got the prob fixed, and now this song I'm working on...HOLY SHIT!!!!!!

What I did was the following:

Set Cakewalk to 160 BPM and played my Prophecy live and recorded the pattern into Cakewalk as a MIDI file. Then I edited the individual notes of the MIDI sequence to make all notes even and to make the loop itself perfect.

Then I set up a channel in Cakewalk to make a wave of the MIDI sequence...

I then opened Sonic Foundry Soundforge to edit the discrepencies of when the wave was created in Cakewalk...deleted a bit of the beginning of the wave, and a bit of the end, and presto...looped perfectly..

Finally, I inserted the finalised loop in Sonic Foundry Acid (the wave sequencer...). Layered it on top of the main beat, and dick smackin' tune right there being created...immediately got inspiration for a patch on the Prophecy and layered it directly ontop live...

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)