aaa The Ultimate 303 - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: The Ultimate 303

Viewing all 27 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/27             14-May-99  @  11:34 PM   -   The Ultimate 303

jcu3

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I think we should take all of our knowledge about synths and gear and make the Ultimate 303. Between me, Pedecelli, Blue, Rezo, Planetalgone, Technicion, Kilo, (sorry if i forgot anyone else hardcore)we could design the Ultimate 303! I say keep it silver still. That way it looks spacey and futuristic. Implement, MIDI of course and Sync, for the older droids. An input to the filter(s)for sure. Oh yea, definately with blue LED's... C'mon what else????? Any other wicked ideas for this? I'm lit on this posting... What else can we execute on this beast?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/27             15-May-99  @  12:09 AM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

planetalgon

Trying to keep it simple but I hope this doesn't sound like Rebirth because that's not my intention...

1.Well, you gotta have distortion built right in, of course. Overdrive, Fuzz, and feedback with serial and parallel options. Color and density.

2. Pre and post distortion filtering with all the right bands slopes and poles (A vocoder too with adjustable bandwidth please!).

3. Built in syncable delay. Multi tap at least 3 layers. And (blue) lighted display telling you what time signature the dalays are (1/1,1/2,1/3 etc.).

4. PCMCIA card slot for sequences and settings.

5. 2 voices with independant knobs for each (Geez my front panel is packed already I better slow down).

6. Yeah I gotta put one of those Dbeam things in. (Sorry folks)

7. Full midi send and recieve of all parameters.

8. Doing hyper filter moves with a standard knob? I always use my mod wheel on the Yamaha MCS2 because I can put my whole body into it. Put those in place of filter knobs, I would.

9. A backlit display for helping you with the deeper options (maybe orange would complement our blue LED's)

10. To tell you the truth, I could go on forever about this but I'm more interested in hearing what other people would do instead. A fun idea Jcu!

Oh- a headphone output!

Message 3/27             15-May-99  @  12:29 AM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

jcu3

Link?: Link

EXCELLENT Planetalgon! Killer...
(#6 is subjective, hehe) But I agree with syncable delays, in time signatures(fantastic)and full and recieve MIDI parameters...nice  Everything you said was awesome. What else fella's?

Message 4/27             15-May-99  @  12:29 AM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

acidrave

Maybe it should smell like gasoline. This would keep the cats away and prevent it from corroding. We gotta come up with a name for this beast...

Message 5/27             15-May-99  @  12:31 AM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

JCU3

holy shit ! LOL.
What else?

Message 6/27             15-May-99  @  12:49 AM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

acidrave

http://troom.com/lol/lol.html

he, he, heh.

Message 7/27             15-May-99  @  01:20 AM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

©hrisFader

Oh, nice thread!

1) big knobs spaced far enough apart so that my big ass hands and fingers don't get all crowded. 303 knobs are too close together

2) instead of the ghetto ass bouncing buttons on the original, gotta change them to those ones like on stand up video games. I would personally go for a 303 housed in a standup game console. You could get big cartoony knobs on there. Plus, you could actually tell what notes and time values you were putting into the machine - instead of getting quadruple hits every time I press a button

3) internal spill protection in case an asshole like myself decides to spill Guiness Stout in it during a New Years party. Of course, others on this board would appreciate such a feature in case of any other feline or rust related incidents

4) multiple 303 parts.... should be pretty easy to include 2 or 3 voices in this mofo. You should be able to route the effects separately as well.

5) get with Red Technologies and put in an external audio output that would calculate BPM from an external audio source and sync the clock to it. The technology exists, and then I wouldn't have to sit there for 2 minutes trying to sync the 303 to my turntables.

6) a metal case. As my friend JP tripped the cord of my 2 week old 303 I watched in horror as it crashed to my cement floor in my studio. It didn't do anything, but it sucked to have to find out! No more toy plastic box.

Just my thoughts....good thread.

©hrisFader

Message 8/27             15-May-99  @  02:00 AM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

planetalgon

Faders got the right idea with the buttons. Big beefy and tough. Like friggin Asteroids. I'd hate to pay the shipping for this thing if it came in a video game console though. Maybe if we just give it some rack ears we could put it in one of those SKB gig rigs. Sounds like it could be about as big as an OB-MX. Make believe its not a Roland too, because they would put sitars, flutes and GM in it, not to mention interactive preset songs. Waldorf couldnt make it tough enough. (Wiggly knobs for sure). Doepfer would come out with 5 or 6 operating system upgrades, all a mess, and never get it right. I'd give it to Clavia, Access, or maybe Quasi if it didn't end up sounding like the 309 bass section. Sorry for eating up so much space on this thread but it's a real brain sparker.

Message 9/27             15-May-99  @  03:25 AM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

jcu3

You guys are kicking my ass just how reading how much you know.....impressive as hell!

1)One thing I want to add to our truly brilliant monster would be CV gate inputs and outputs. With a built CV-MIDI conver A person now, can push another analogue synth with CV inputs, while utilizing the fly seqencer.

A generous amount of Slide to give us that cat crying 303 sound.(please don't get any idea's sicko's)More intence on the Accent as well, for those borgy "unk" sounds.

And two MIDI outs, with MIDIthrough and two SYNC outs.

Thanks fellaws. This thing is amazing so far...

Message 10/27             15-May-99  @  07:40 AM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

skot_e

I think I would like the envelope to be a little more versatile...

Message 11/27             16-May-99  @  01:27 AM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

jcu3

How about a ribbon controller guys?
Like on the JP8K and Prophecy?

Message 12/27             16-May-99  @  06:25 AM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

pedicelli

The ribbon controller on the Prophecy is pretty damn cool...you can set it to different pressure sensitivities and assign it to any kind of control change or whatever...

I have this bassdrum patch on my Prophecy, and as you increase the ribbon from left to right, it turns into a really snappy snare!

Message 13/27             17-May-99  @  05:56 AM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

technician

1. Bigger, longer knobs.
2. digital tempo display.
3. when tapping in the time sig, it plays the note when you first hit the key.
4. cv gate in's and out's.
5. midi and sync in's out's and through's.
6. reverb.
7. 32 note capabilities.
8. definitly blue leds.
9. way long back up memory so you don't need to always have batteries in it.
10. self osillation.
11. decay on the accent.
12. shuffle button.
13. It should be able to slide constantly through an infinity number of bars without fading out.
14. More durable design.
15. controlable slide time.
16. polyphonic.
17. signal input to filters adjustable to any/all filters.
18. a perfect little hard shell case.
19. should be able to hold more patterns.
20. I'll never stop, so that's my input for now!

Message 14/27             17-May-99  @  05:27 PM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

planetalgon

These are some great ideas. One thing that comes to mind though in thinking about this is that the 303 sounds the way it does largely because of its limitations. Notice how you can instantly hear wether or not it's a 303? Now try and tell if that bass line is a JP-8000, a Z1 or Nord. Sure it sounds awsome and can do all this and that but its personality is more what you make it to be. The 303 already has one. Why do we need to make another big contender in the synth market and say its a 303 clone? Many have tried and failed trying to increase the ante of the original. The purists can't be swayed.

Message 15/27             17-May-99  @  11:44 PM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

he who knows

this is all sounding interesting, but if you do all that shit it wont be a 303 any more. Now here's some REAL ideas.
1 Blue leds (or white)
2 Cross modulation (switchable in or out)
3 Brushed Titanium casing
4 Disk drive
5 Random pattern generator
6 Switchable Sub oscillator
7 Dual harmonic resonators

But it still has to have the original sound easily recreated or it just aint a 303. ta ta for now  

Message 16/27             20-May-99  @  05:13 PM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

I have one already... fr-777

Message 17/27             21-May-99  @  01:58 AM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

planetalgon

How is the 777 for 303 sounds? How does the sequencer compare? Anyone got the grit on this box?

Message 18/27             21-May-99  @  04:57 AM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

jcu3

i'll tell you now the 777 sux!!

I don't care what it does. Sell it and get a 303.

Message 19/27             21-May-99  @  01:40 PM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

jcu3

I listened to the Demo Cd and it sounds way too plasticy, like an XG or 309. Or is it just the CD? maybe I'm wrong, I bet the Virus has the better synth engine..

Message 20/27             21-May-99  @  05:24 PM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

planet

Yeah it seems like dudes who have laid down their hard earned cash for something can actually get themselves to believe that what they have bought is the best there is despite anything. It can be hard to filter through opinions to find out the real info. There's also people who bash something because they can't afford it. I'm sure you know the story.

Just da facts....

Message 21/27             22-May-99  @  07:47 PM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

planet

It's funny you should say it sounds like plastic because I spend many hours trying to get my Virus to sound like plastic. Anyone had hands on yet with the Future Retro? Hey a US distributor! Hell man it's got suboscillators, switchable 3/7 poles, resonance maximum (great idea), filter input, and a sequencer with accents so it must do something cool...Anyone else?

Message 22/27             22-May-99  @  09:19 PM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

jcu3

Planet, after reading some of your postings I have a question for you or anyone else.

OK, what would you rather have? the latest and greatist or the classic stuff?

Option 1 :

Take for instance the FR-777 and the Jomax 909 drum machine clone. Those too things seem really"musical" and have tons of features, more MIDI implemantation, more options, same reliableness, sonically they have more of a range.

Or option 2 :

Or just your calssic mint condition TB-303 and TR-909?

For me theres no hesitation, with the old true analogs their soo many things one can do. ( with a fuck load of efx and filters ofcourse)

What's your opinion Planet?

Message 23/27             23-May-99  @  05:21 AM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

planet

Well, I respect your faithfulness to the old classics. There's nothing better than the originals for the fluid warmth and punch. Yet if I listen to these old guys over and over, my ears get bored and really want something more. I mostly use the X0X drums for sweetening acoustic loops. Drop the needle - pft..crackle..BOOf-TS-BOOf-KRACK. I get the thing so booming in the end that there's no going back to the simple "undertones" as I would call them. Then there's the 303. It's usually where I start but I'm always hitting dead ends and walls with it. Eventually I'll come up with six or seven variations and mostly end up using Nord or Virus lines. Like you, I've heard some incredible things done with the 303. Pure genius. But heck it's just one thing and there's a whole world of sound out there. If I had to chose between the two options you gave then I'd certainly get the Jomox. That thing pounds. If the 777 is as good as its supposed to be then you betcha. More MIDI. More Control. Journey into the undiscoved scorcery of sound.

....I wish that we could manipulate modern dance music as patterns of light. In mid air, at will, at any time perhaps. Unbounded by metal boxes, disk drives, and patch cables. No dark rooms. No dust. Why do I need so much stuff to satisfy myself? I guess because it looks so fucking cool. Knobs, wood, and pulsating lights. Geez I must be dreaming.

If you could create an instrument that was of your world. Impossible perhaps in it's method, but perfect in its purpose to YOU, what would it be like? Forget all the plastic, lights, VCO's, filters and knobs. This is science fiction I'm talking about.

Message 24/27             23-May-99  @  05:44 AM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

A TB-303 with Blue LED's...

(shhhhh...(whispering) it's getting done as we speak)

Message 25/27             23-May-99  @  02:42 PM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

jcu3

I would like to have a robot like in the Computer Love video that is locked up to MIDI or the 303 controls. It would body pop and just "control everything you see and hear" with 16 big screen projections all sync'd up to the 16 steps on your Xox. That would be cool, if were talking fantasy.

p.s. That was my post above too.

Message 26/27             24-May-99  @  05:00 AM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

planet

Me, I'd like to be nude and pushed into a green glowing electric jelly. A womb for which to think and think and think until my head got so full of 303 sequences that my brain would condense and fold inward like a black hole. From outside of my glowing egg would run huge pipes twisting and tossing like tentacles of wet greyish skin. These would be my naural pathways to millions of other eggs containing other "black hole heads". We would be one gigantic collective of infinitely huge innerspaces containing sound and lazer shows the size of supernovas. Sound so loud that it flared into huge blinding shock waves at every beat, pushing and consuming everything in its path. Synthetic oscillations visable as immense growing balls of fire. Colors and patterns shifting in perfect sync with every thought of my 303.

This might suit my needs.

Message 27/27             25-May-99  @  09:06 AM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

skot_e

Hmmmn .... very interesting....

Viewing all 27 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 27 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)