aaa whats the best tb303 midi kit - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: whats the best tb303 midi kit

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/12             06-Jun-99  @  09:55 AM   -   whats the best tb303 midi kit

d.

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'd like to know wha's the best source for midifying the tb303.Are there ever problems with it syncing?Thanks

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             06-Jun-99  @  02:56 PM   -   RE: whats the best tb303 midi kit

pedicelli

Link?: Link

I wouldn't midifi it...too risky...maybe if you give it to Kenton to do, but if I was you, buy a cheap drum machine that has a DIN port. This will convert the voltage signal into MIDI.

When I get my TB-303, I'm buying a TR-727.

Message 3/12             06-Jun-99  @  04:20 PM   -   RE: whats the best tb303 midi kit

planet

The only problem with that is that you will have to use the TB-303 as your master clock. The 707 and 727 can't send DIN sync when in MIDI mode. Also they don't have a song loop function so in order to keep them going endlessly when working in song mode you have to program empty measures into the song to keep your computer going. Pedicelli, get yourself a straight MIDI to DIN sync converter from Doepfer and save yourself a potential headache. You might want to keep your eyes out for a Roland MSQ-700 because this sequencer will do the MIDI to DIN sync conversion in master and slave modes. I used one of those for a while before I went the Doepfer route but the 7X7's never did it for me.

Message 4/12             06-Jun-99  @  05:28 PM   -   RE: whats the best tb303 midi kit

JCU3

Fucks wrong with you people? Buy the Dopefer MSY2 or the Dopefer MAUSI with cv/gate inputs/outputs as well. Phil Rees makes a MIDI/Sync converter. So does a company called Logiq Electronics that has produkt called "Micro Sync 24" which you can get from this bloke John Greczula, from Xenovator Technology Acess in Woodstock, Ontario. Also, try Douglas Wagner of Enport, the US distrubuter for Doepfer. Tell these guys that "James from Denver" reffered you as they might give me a fucking discount or you too maybe, for sending other lads their way for business.

URL's for ya beeeatch!

www.doepfer.com
www.philrees.co.uk
www.xenoweb.com

P.S. Pedicelli, a TR-707 can go suck my grandpa's old man nutsack with gray pubes any old day of the week. That piece of digital Latin sound making shit should not be even allowed in your studio!!! It makes a good paper weight though.

Message 5/12             06-Jun-99  @  05:34 PM   -   RE: whats the best tb303 midi kit

jcu3

...or whatever it is, a 707 or 727 or eg-101 or whatever, they all suck!

Doepfer MUSIKELEKTRONIK GMBH baby!!!!!

or the Logiq produkt from Belgium is cool too.

Message 6/12             06-Jun-99  @  06:44 PM   -   RE: whats the best tb303 midi kit

ReZo-99

I have to disagree with y'all. I use a TR-707 to sync my TB-303 with all my gear and I use my TR-707 as the master.

Planet, your wrong, you do not have to use the TB as a master, you can use the TR-707. I use it to start/stop my MIDI chain which includes a sampler, 3 synths, and another drum machine.

jcu3, your right, the 707 isn't exactly the dream drum machine but it does have the closed hat from the TR-808, which is the most common hat, and the toms and ride cymbal from the TR-909, which I do use every now and then. So I just think about it like this, Its a converter complete with some drum sounds as a bonus.

But thats just me....

ReZo-99

Message 7/12             06-Jun-99  @  07:04 PM   -   RE: whats the best tb303 midi kit

jcu3

The 707 is ok, but the TR-727 is a fucking joke. Worse than the TR-626 and TR-505 I used to own. just God awful..

And Planetallgone, what on God's earth are you talking about? The 303 could never be a master for anything. It only has SYNC IN. Are you getting confused with a 606 or what?

nice to see some postings, I thought this page took a major shit and you all died...heh

Message 8/12             07-Jun-99  @  12:28 AM   -   RE: whats the best tb303 midi kit

planet

Yeah I meant the 727 is the master and not the COMPUTER sorry. The only point i'm trying to make is that it restricts your options. You can't have anything else be master. It all happens at the 303 end. Just seems a shame to have that old dinosour 727 be the master of time code. I've found delay problems with the drum machines MIDI output. It sucks having to redelay everything behind it to make up for it. Some people may not notice but when you can compare your tracks as graphic waveform displays, the 7X7's fall back noticably. When I got the MSQ 700, I was saved from the whole problem for a very low cost. I found one for 20 bucks at a guitar dealer. Then I sold my 707 for 200 bucks. Get the idea?

But hey it's been 10 frickin years since I messed with that stuff so I hope I'm not giving you any more false info.

I agree with Rezo that the 707 has it's uses for hat's and such. It falls in nicely with all of the Roland drum machines for classic beat box sounds. I have a sample CD with all of the Roland beat box sounds. I don't even look at what they are when I'm looking for raw waveforms. Whenever I check back, I find that I'm using odd sounds from the 505, 707 and such. Even my 309 is full of those sounds too. Definitely basic, but when combined with the big boxes, they become works of steel.

Hey Jcu. Why do you love the Doepfer stuff so much? I like their MAQ16 but never really checked into the rest of their stuff much. Anything else that's good from them?

Message 9/12             07-Jun-99  @  06:09 AM   -   RE: whats the best tb303 midi kit

©hrisFader

I could never get the 707 to work properly in my studio. Ended up getting an MSQ-700. Works pretty well when synced to my mac but the clock signal is really drifty. I wish I could fix it. I usually have to nudge the audio when I am done recording 303...

Message 10/12             07-Jun-99  @  02:44 PM   -   RE: whats the best tb303 midi kit

jcu3

Planet, the reasons why I like Doepfer MUSIKELEKTRONIK so much .....

1) Dieder Doepfer has worked with Kraftwerk to execute thier produkts.

2) Everything is analogue, no virtual or PCM technology.

3) They are from Germany, obviously, and EVERYTHING from Germany is mostly cool. Hence; Mercedes, Kraftwerk, The Autobahn, Hardfloor, etc...

4) Their A-100 modulars are fucking way affordable and sound really thick and lush sounding. (don't have one, but may buy one next summer)

5) Plus they just have that "Robotic" perception that I have come to love sooo much.

"Die Roboter

Die Roboter

Wir laden unsere Batterie
Jetzt sind wir voller Energie

Wir sind die Roboter

Ja tvoi sluga (=I'm your slave)
Ja tvoi Rabotnik robotnik (=I'm your worker)

Wir funktionieren automatik
Jetzt wollen wir tanzen mechanik

Wir sind die Roboter

Wir sind auf Alles programmiert
Und was du willst wird ausgeführt"

Message 11/12             07-Jun-99  @  06:40 PM   -   RE: whats the best tb303 midi kit

pedicelli

Guys, man...I don't give a flying fuck about the quality of the 727...I tried it, the thing doesn't even have a bassdrum.....I just need a cheap piece of shit to sync the 303 to my ER-1 and Prophecy....so that when I layer in Sonic Foundry Acid, everything sounds nice and dandy and not offbeat...

Message 12/12             08-Jun-99  @  04:30 PM   -   RE: whats the best tb303 midi kit

ionicsix

WELL...when you are a poor broke ass as i am, 505,606,626, AND 707 just happen to be pretty damb alright. NOT for their sounds but for their usefullness as midi/trig controlers. bear with me.
example:::: 707 master(indy outs trig a techstar 305) midi in to 626(indys trig another 305) tape sync out to 202 in which syncs out to 606 and 101. Minus an ass load of effects and other little beasties, thats most of my half of the studio.....the other half includes a couple of comps,samplers,synths,ect....
its not what you got it is how you abuse it...unless your gay like you know who with his eg101!!

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)