aaa retirement day - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: retirement day

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             25-Nov-99  @  03:34 AM   -   retirement day

technician

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hello everyone. Glad to see the chatroom somewhat gone back to normal.
But I was thinking the other day of what I would do when I finally decide to stop making techno? I know it wont be for probably about 20 years? Maybe 30-40? But if all the following cost this now, what will they cost 30 years from now?
sh-101 $400
MC-202 $400
TB-303 $1000
TR-606 $200
TR-808 $800
TR-909 $1000

That's todays pricing, roughly. That's not what I paid, but what they usually go for. And were talking 15 years max old. So picture 20 years from now? Fuck a 303 will be like buying a bmw. So anyone who thinks buying a old analog box is a waste of money, think of it as collecting antiques that you can use on a daily baisis. And sell for probably 3 times what you got it for today.
Anyway, just needed to let that out. Post replies to see how everyone else feels about the future.......
analog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-technician

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             25-Nov-99  @  04:28 AM   -   RE: retirement day

Maarten

Link?:  Link

Funny, that's the exact thing I told my girl when buying my TB for $900,it's an investment.She bought it(not the TB ,but my explination) , and actually I don't think I'll ever sell.What if you get regrets,you'll have to look harder for one than you have to today.
carry on...
-M-

Message 3/5             25-Nov-99  @  06:33 AM   -   RE: retirement day

jcu3

I have no intelligent thoughts on the subject at this time.

James

Message 4/5             28-Nov-99  @  12:45 PM   -   RE: retirement day

tb303

Fucking right! But also some of the gear thats being made now too will be worth a lot.

Sidstation
FR777
JoMoX
303 clones
Novation stuff
Technomage Life
Korg Electribes

I love the old analog gear but I also think some of the new gear is pretty good, I'm not going to be ignorant and have a blinkered vision, thats what the first lot of people did with all the old gear selling it to buy D50s!
I think to have a nice pallete of tone colours you need Analog, FM, Sampling, Virtual Analog, Toys and anything else that you like the sound of. And if you sell a piece of eqiupment for anything other than financial reasons then you probably should not have bought it in the first place - a mistake I learned the hard way. Choose your droids carefully, then you will have a formidable audio pallete.

Message 5/5             29-Nov-99  @  05:09 PM   -   RE: retirement day

htek

Very true tb303! This is a good thread. I often wonder if any of these machines will have the same luster as they do now. I wonder what music will even be like in 30-40 years. But i do know i will still have all my toys=0) If we're not all blown up by then.
-Larry

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)