aaa Real 303 / sequencer clone - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Viewing all 63 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7

Original Message 1/63             01-Feb-00  @  06:26 PM   -   Real 303 / sequencer clone

trevor

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hi folks. I am a builder of several TB303 clones, and I've designed several commercial midi/cv units and sequencer designs.

My next project is a new 303 clone. Unlike existing clones, it will use the original 303 circuitry. So being more than just a clone, it will be a REAL 303. In addition, I will be cloning the sequencer itself to the exact specs of the original. The case will be just larger than the original 303 box, with a very similar control layout.

This unit will eventually be available for sale. I will build a few and sell them if anyone is interested.

My question is, if I were to make the *perfect* 303 clone, what extras should it have?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/63             02-Feb-00  @  11:36 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

friend

Link?:  No link

it should be pretty n stuff

Message 3/63             02-Feb-00  @  06:07 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

oldskool

Audio in to filter, "bulletproof" case, some way of external storage, blue or white LEDs, internal distortion \overdrive, better bass response.

Message 4/63             03-Feb-00  @  01:11 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

skot_e

sort of defeats the purpose doesn't it?

Message 5/63             03-Feb-00  @  05:16 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

trevor

How do you mean....?!

Message 6/63             04-Feb-00  @  01:54 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Shredded 303

The only way to make it better is to make it a "2 in 1" true analog. Keep the sequencer the same(In and out), but add an arpeggio connection from midi to control midi (keep the analog CV and trigger) synths with 303 gate patterns. Don't forget the din sync(24)! Keep it flexible for all kind a uses. also midi in (x2) out (x2) and thru! Control of all paramters via C.C. messages would make it rule the world. Leave out effects unless they are exceptionally unique and flavorful. Rather have a syncable LFO with sine and real S/H. Make sure the filter is identicle. Also accent is very Key!!! Frankly, Rebirth is dope in the features listing but sounds yeckk, too dead and flat. Do "The Resurection" rebirth analog. Can you add a TR98089 too!! Ok, well...Strong and sturdy knobs (big ones) and Build it tough like a military weapon. Psychedelic fractal swirl could be chic! I love colors and the look of so many psytrance album covers and web sites are interesting to me. Why not make the synth look freaky too.. Hope to see this dream monster some day. Kudos:-)

Message 7/63             04-Feb-00  @  06:40 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

trevor

Kudos, many thanks for taking the time to give those suggestions - it is very much appreciated.

It will take some time and careful planning - but this machine IS going to become a reality. The comments you have made *will* affect the final outcome - you've given me some good ideas there.
I need to do this research because I need to know what people want. So please keep the suggestions coming in because I am taking notice!

The TP303 will be very close to the original, i.e with a sequencer as you suggest. The sequencer will be just like the original but with a few enhancements, most important being an LED step / song display and various other functions (randomise, rotate, etc). There will be other various enhancements: distortion, large MIDI spec (CC control and all that like you suggested is a definate 'yes'. There is far too much to list here. At the same time I don't want to make any large changes, but keep it close to the original machine. Think of it as a souped-up 303 with all the enhancements.
I don't want to make it into something totally different, if you know what I mean.

The most important thing is, the analogue circuitry will be the SAME as in the 303. Also, the analogue circuitry will be controlled in exactly the same way by the sequencer as in the original. You won't get closer to the original than this. Listen to my 'TB3030 sound samples' on my website: this clone uses the original TB303 circuitry (though an ordinary PC sequencer is in use).

I am not sure how the machine will be eventually available. Basically, I am teaming up with a designer of synthesiser kits. So initially it will be something for electronics bods. But if demand is good, maybe we will produce a run of built ones...

Trev (dreaming...) :-)

Message 8/63             04-Feb-00  @  12:32 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Shredded 303

Hi Trev. Sounds like you've got a great project going. I would also suggest that it be a 303 that "sells" itself on it's sequencer feel ( alla 303, or MPC 60) and it's control over parameters both digital and analog via plethoras of connectors. Give it real analog LFO's etc, that can be patched out to other gear's connectors. Think of it's usefullness for more than a fabulous bassline machine. Kenton has a lot of forsight in their designs. Also, If it can bounce or lock in a pocket in a special and succesful way, like the 303 does, and the MPC-60, and get people up on their feet, then it's going to be in demand. Good on you, mate! Transcend through dreaming.

P.S. Thanks for your reply to my post. I am still in a pinch, and I explain a bit over the subject in the thread. Cheers.

Message 9/63             04-Feb-00  @  01:17 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Shredded 303

HI, just to add, I use my 303 to control other gear because I love it's feel. Of course the squelchy bass sounds are in regular use too, getting filtered with a Waldorf 4-pole for monster sounds. I mentioned real LFO's because outside of used vintage, only software LFO's are readily available. I realize that this may interfere with the midi spec. but it would add a unique feature if it could be used to affect external sources. Have both and your light years ahead of the pack. Making it a universal advanced modulation source is the idea. FM? Also, in regards to the person who stated that the TP303 'defeats the purpose' , I can only comment that he may perhaps be only interested in trophies at the expense of truly creative people such as musicians and designers such as yourself. Maybe then, when your design is recognized as a glory machine, that person will have to buy one just to glimmer brightly in his trophy case. To each their own I say. Be a collector if you love it. I find value in the creation of exciting personal endeavors over the value of a medal.

Message 10/63             05-Feb-00  @  05:20 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

nobody

Link?:  Link

i like this idea. i'll buy two kits when they are available. maybe 3  

Message 11/63             05-Feb-00  @  08:09 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

skot_e

Schredded, I think I have been taken slightly out of context.

The idea of building a machine with the same circuitry and sequencer but with a whole lot more to offer such as LFO's and the like is probably long overdue in the sense that so many still love the original (myself included). What I don't get is the need to link the product with the original. A true replica would have no additions. This product has the potential to be far better than the original if built well... that is obvious. My point is why do "clones" always have to be related to the 303. Give it a whole new name, and let it sell itself. People are going to know what it is regardless of what you call it.

Call me a trophy hunter if you will, but I love my 303 and I love making music utilising all my gear not just the 303.

Message 12/63             06-Feb-00  @  03:47 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Shredded 303

Thanks for clearing that up. 303 is so great IMO that an identicle clone is a perfect idea. New (same) parts = greater longevity. That is, if the components are in fact new. Seems to me you agree, but that the name should be unrelated as a subterfuge for better sales? If it's a clone that glorifies a 303, then how can it not be related. Honestly, how pretentious. Anyway, I tend to get aggravated by ignorance from people who love to post negatively about 303's, always talking about prices compared to something else which they don't have either or whatever. Figured you were one of them. I was wrong. Got a little jumpy here. I'll call you a Trophy collecter if you are one, or if that's what you want to be called:-) I like using other gear too.

Message 13/63             10-Feb-00  @  02:22 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

skot_e

Pretentious? I don't agree.Sorry.

It's not that I have anything against a similar name, but that is the way everyone goes... Tee Bee; TBS 303 (something like that)... - nothing against these machines

Message 14/63             10-Feb-00  @  09:51 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Chim Chim

It's got to come in pink, or me no buy it  

Message 15/63             11-Feb-00  @  06:49 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

trevor

Heh.. thanks for your input lads.

Any of you have any comments on the sequencer itself? I am looking for opinions on how the sequencer should be: should it be just like the original? What extra functionality should it have?

I am currently working on the sequencer section of the design. I got the pattern playback code finished last night; connected it up to my 303 clone and WOW! REAL 303 sequences. :-)

Thinking of some real hot features. How about the ability to save patterns via sysex? More pattern memory than on the original?

Any more ideas? Keep 'em coming, this is my market research... :-)

Message 16/63             11-Feb-00  @  02:57 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Shredded 303

The more memory and storage available the better for sure. Add programmable accents and flam (909ish). Give it the unique ability to play sequences from Z to A alla reverse! This could be a creative tool when deconstructing a random bass line. Cheers mate!

Message 17/63             11-Feb-00  @  07:50 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

chim de chim

oh know do we have a tootless Brit again here? nice teeth!

Message 18/63             11-Feb-00  @  08:19 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

skot_e

whatever chim guy...

How about a memory that won't lose patterns coz the batteries are taken out (and if you like the idea of haveing pattersn randomly entered coz the 303 is stored batteryless, then you'd have to have a 'random create' type button I guess).

Question:
What dimesions are you looking at, and what sort of material for the cae. It should be more durable that the OG. My tb has not paint worn off around the knobs, but what bugs me is the little chips on the coners due to the way the two pieces of the case over lap, and the platic is weaker. I know I'm not the only one with this problem.

Message 19/63             14-Feb-00  @  07:15 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

trevor

Yeah no problem, the memory devices I intend to use will be EEPROM-based and will retain their memory even if you remove them completely! Random pattern functions will be there too.

As for the case, it depends what we can get. Metal construction though. We will probably use something that's already available, and have a custom front panel made for it. Or something.

Keep those ideas coming in... don't foget u can email me at the above ad.

Cheers, Trev

Message 20/63             14-Feb-00  @  12:42 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

chimmy chim

twevor, me wants one with pink Pokeman on it..me tinks it would be pwetty

Message 21/63             14-Feb-00  @  01:14 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

qwwe

Hasn't this been done already, as in 777.

Message 22/63             15-Feb-00  @  08:25 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

trev

skot_e and Shredded303, many thanks for being intellegent enough to provide me with some very useful input.

Please keep checking my website - or if both of you would like more info on this unique project as it becomes available, let me have your email addresses.

Trev

Message 23/63             15-Feb-00  @  11:45 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

chim chim

Trev,

I would like to cum over and discuss the 303 project with you sweetheart. Will you be my valentine?

ohhhh right there Trevor

Message 24/63             16-Feb-00  @  05:24 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Trev

No thanks, mate. I am not that way inclined. And unlike some people around here, I do actually have a girlfriend. And a life.

And don't try to insult my intelligence. You have made yourself look stupid enough as it is.

Message 25/63             16-Feb-00  @  09:49 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

brainlessdevil

keep me informed as well please. remember, i want 2 kits, maybe 3...

Message 26/63             16-Feb-00  @  04:18 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

on my chimmy chim chim

Ohhh thats it Trevor, right there!

Message 27/63             17-Feb-00  @  02:02 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

909INC.

I like how its possible to transpose the patterns up an octave when the pattern is playing, but when you switch patterns, the pattern resets itself to low c. It would be cool to implement some "pattern transpose memory" so when you go back to the pattern it will be in whatever key it was left in before.
The other way around this would be to include some kind of a switch that lets you transpose patterns a octave "down"... So maybe a three position swich, one, for normal function, two, for "pattern transpose memory" and three "ovtave down" mode.
The tr 606 remembers which time signature the pattern was made, maybe look at how that works.
Its an idea.. Hope its helpful. 909inc.

Message 28/63             17-Feb-00  @  05:40 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Chimmicelli

you suck 909inc

Message 29/63             17-Feb-00  @  06:12 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

trevor

Thanx 909inc, nice ideas there- I shall implement those, most likely.

I'll probably have a 'shift' key, and, when you hold this down with certain note buttons, you perform transpose, randomise, and rotate actions and so on. If there's any other unusual pattern manipulation functions anyone can suggest, I'll have a go.

Cheers, Trev

Message 30/63             17-Feb-00  @  05:34 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Atsushi Hoshiai

you suck Chimmicelli dude!

Message 31/63             18-Feb-00  @  04:56 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Chimmicelli dude

Atsushi Hoshiai is my only fwiend in the gweat big world. Atsushi is my only gay friend on the board.

Message 32/63             19-Feb-00  @  09:39 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Atsushi Hoshiai

Chimmi Chim!
You should take the EG-101 outta yer ass!!

Message 33/63             20-Feb-00  @  05:02 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Daft Chim

me tinks Anasazi wikes da bomb,Chimicelli Chim!!!! Chim make gweat noo fwiend, Anazazi bitch mate sucka wipe

Message 34/63             20-Feb-00  @  04:16 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Smart Ass

No 1 can make a perfect clone of the TB 303. You can do what ever you want but if it doesnt look just like the original and it doesnt have Roland on it and if it doesnt say TB 303 on it then its not a perfect clone. Thanks to copy rights law no one can recreate the TB 303 so stop trying. Even if it sounds just like it its still not the same. Besides if your so called clone product is going to sell less or more than $1000 then its not the same.

Smart Ass

Message 35/63             20-Feb-00  @  06:34 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

jcu3

Jesus this web board has gone to total crap again

sigh.

Message 36/63             21-Feb-00  @  11:24 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

evensmarterass

TO SMARTASS: So i guess no one can make "real" lightbulb unless it is prone to electricute you, doesn't actually give off much light and say Thomas Edison on it.........If people didn't expand off other peoples good ideas we would still live in caves you dumb fuck

Message 37/63             21-Feb-00  @  01:27 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Chimicelli

po wittle Chim still wivs in a cave wif no fwiends

Message 38/63             21-Feb-00  @  04:27 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

trevor

Well said. I guess I should clarify something: I did not mean 'perfect' clone *quite* in that context!! No, of course I am not going to make something that's exactly the same as the original.

I could go on, but much of what I was going to say has been summed up a message or two before.

And if you were really, er, 'smart', you would know that copyright laws do not cover circuit designs. I have my facts right, I have done my research and I know where I stand, without going into too much detail here.

No offence, but if you are not interested in this project, then please don't bother to take the time to give me your opinion. And it is up to myself whether I shall bother with this project or not.

Message 39/63             22-Feb-00  @  12:55 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Chimicelli

me tinks you should make an EG-101 clone instead, Tweva!

Chim tinks hims make a fwiend.

Message 40/63             22-Feb-00  @  04:34 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

jcu3

What??? Do you really talk like that??

damn Canadians!

Message 41/63             22-Feb-00  @  11:02 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

druma

trevor, the synth land needs more dudes like yourself, keep up the great work, I really diged the 2xTBs in a Rack, whats can we expect 2 pay for these gems? r we expecting mass production? and the sequencer on the 777 and Xbase09 have induvidual parameter settings per step bringing the units 2 new levels, but thats extrame... I'd say just keep the 3030 as the 3o3 orgianlly was, just add MIDI, distrotion, 3levels of Accent, more pattern mem.. really keep them inexpensf ...

Message 42/63             24-Feb-00  @  06:26 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

trevor

Ok... here's another question.
There are two ways that I can implement the sequencer. The first is to make it exactly like that on the original. On the other hand, I could keep the same layout but make it much more user friendly, say like with Rebirth. How would you guys prefer the sequencer: keep it the same, or nicer to use?

Trev

Message 43/63             24-Feb-00  @  07:36 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Maarten

Errr...go with a Rebirth type sequencer.
And I don't want to take you're whole arm but add a diplay aswell if possible...hmmm...303 with visualisation.

-M-

Ohh yeah ,EFX-chip or am I drewling off here.

Message 44/63             25-Feb-00  @  12:26 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Zmart Azz

Im sorry if my message sound offensive. Alls I have to say is Good luck and I hope you will be the first to succseed on perfectly emulating the 303. No one in history have done it and thats a fact. Besides My last message was to those goof troop purist who will buy a box with a squelchy sound for $1000. I can think of a better 303 for much less or for the same money. I can buy a nice VA synth with a good 303 emulation plus so much more for around $1G. Dont get me wrong I like the 303 sound I just wish people were smarter and just settle with a good emulator with much more features for half the price. I dont care if its a real 303 if some dude want to sell me a mint 303 for a $1000 and I did have a $1000 I will say "man you are out of your mind I can find a close emulator with more features for less".

Sorry if my message offended you Trevor. Sorry if it turned out like that. Wasnt thinking. I have no means to bash people but for anyone who has got to have a 303 and is willing to spend $1000 is obviously missing an important feature of the Brain and that is Common sense. Sure I want a Roland TB 303 but Im definatly not gonna spend $1G for it. You can forget it. I got better thing to spend my time and money on. I hope some of you agree with my opinion.

Later

Message 45/63             25-Feb-00  @  05:54 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

trevor

No problem at all mate! I can understand where you were coming from. I think many people would pay out for the original machine just for the novelty value of owning the real thing. Fair 'nuff really, if that's what you want to do. I have to admit, I'd love to own one.

There are now countless 303 emulators available, most of which are very affordable. However, no commercial clone that I know of uses Roland's circuitry. It's a bit of a grey area, but I believe that we can take this design and use it. Anyhow, we are not a company who are going to produce large volumes of these: it is myself, a final year EE student, and another mate of mine who is a pro. audio designer. So to be honest, we are not talking great numbers here, but by the sounds of it demand should be good enough to keep us busy provided that we get this thing off the ground in the first place.

The main objective is to produce a clone that people will look at and say, 'yeah, this is a good alternative to the real thing'- rather than just bringing out yet another dull rack thing. To do that, I am listening to people to see what features they would want. That's why I lurk about here :-). I know that people would like a clone that is closer to the original in it's feel and looks; that is, it should have a sequencer like the original, and similar control layout. I table top thing. It will have a step / pattern display which , like Rebirth, will be easier to use than the original. Add full MIDI, distortion and so on. Will probably run on batteries too, so you can tweak it on the move ;-)

I think I've mentioned this before, but I have some 303 clone .WAV samples on my website from my homebuilt dual 3030 rack unit. Take a listen to these!

l8r... Trev

Message 46/63             27-Feb-00  @  10:15 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Jesstex

Wicked ideas trev.I use one of them notron sequencers(Fuckin awesome) and it would be interesting to use one of your clones with that.

Message 47/63             27-Feb-00  @  12:09 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

trev

Hey, can you tell me more about that sequencer? I've not heard of that one!!

Cheers, Trev

Message 48/63             27-Feb-00  @  01:48 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Martin-99 in da UK

Trev,

get a life you jap, your not making shite!

Message 49/63             28-Feb-00  @  04:35 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

trevor

Jap? JAP?????!!!

What the fuck?

What the FUCK do you fucking know?

Piss off you uneducated little shit.

Message 50/63             28-Feb-00  @  02:45 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

JESSTEX

The notron sequencer is about the best bit of kit i own (although its not much use by itself)and is wicked for doing live sets.Its basically a four track midi sequencer and you can run each track independantly(but in time).so you can have track one running on three steps,track two on nine steps running at half the speed of the others and so on.You can add notes,change note lengths,pattern lengths,track speeds etc. all on the fly.Check out the NOTRON website- http://www.notron.com for more details as there is too much to mention.

Message 51/63             01-Mar-00  @  03:48 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Shredded303

Hi Trev. Have been away for a while. Your freinds here that want to contribute are adding some useful info. Things like battery power I just took for granted, not mentioning it's importance. Good one. As far as the sequencer goes, my interest is in it's feel mostly. It has a different vibe than rebirth, but the rebirth interface is nice. I love the transposition memory idea too. My suggestion to reverse a sequence note for note is another random composition approach . 303 heads can continue using their best discerning ear to rely on serendipity. This is a great aspect of the 303 that could be expanded on with the reverse function. Dedicated button called 'Backmasking,' able to reverse a pattern on the fly as simple as transposing on the fly. Effects should be an unnecessary cost and hastle really, unless they're very unique and useful. You'll make it how you like it. I think time and space could be used to greater affect (pun not intended). I have effects already and would rather have a simple LFO even, or a HPF/BPF. However, a natural overdrive would work well for me. Here's a nifty thought~ It would be killer to be able to program accent shifts up to every possible combination available. That way I could have accents change from down beat to up beat, etc. automatically and painlessly over a pattern while I tweak. For what it's worth some mind fodder for the man with a plan. Cheers,
Shredded

Message 52/63             01-Mar-00  @  11:57 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

ewatters

to the guy who would not pay $1000 to get the real thing and can not understand why we can't be happy with clones. if you can not hear the difference then obviously you don't truely appreciate the hollowness and growl only a true tb-303 can produce. trev if you can reproduce that sound i will buy one and sell them for you. i just want that woop that makes me go nuts in a club.

Message 53/63             02-Mar-00  @  06:26 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

trevor

Sorry about my previous bit of rage there. I think some people are determined to knock the efforts of others and it does get you down sometimes. Many thanks for the encouragement. This project is going ahead but it will take time. For those of you who have emailed me, sorry I've not had the chance to reply yet but I am not being ignorant :-). In the meantime please keep those ideas in. Remember I want you to imagine what your ideal 303 clone would be, any ideal/unique/new features it should have, *anything* you would like to specify, even if there's any particular control layout you would like. The ideas you folk have been giving me so far have been most useful and have influenced the design.

In the meantime let me have your email's and I'll keep you posted on the progress. Hey! Shredded303! Give me your email address, dammit! ;-)

Trev

Message 54/63             02-Mar-00  @  08:12 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Shredded303

All that must be said can be posted.
I love you Trev! (fun)

Really, I like this thread, but I'm not sure what other relavent information I could give.

Today I was realizing that I'll have to one day come to terms with the natural death of my 303. I am glad that 777 is in production, and even happier that your making a scrupulously designed clone cuz I'll need it. I realize R & D can take a while, but I'll be tuning in to see what's new. I love hearing suggestions made by others as well. Please keep us posted!
~Oh and thanks Trev for adding a voice to my thread. -Ta mate!

Message 55/63             03-Mar-00  @  04:25 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

skot_e

It wouldn't hurt to be able to set longer loops than just 4 bars, or alternatively to be able to enter more than 16 notes into a pattern. (question: why would the 101 have 100 note memory on the sequencer and the 303 be able to play 20 max???)

Message 56/63             03-Mar-00  @  01:53 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

jcraig

20? how can you put more than 16 notes (steps) in?

Message 57/63             03-Mar-00  @  05:38 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

oldskool

You can't, the maximum is 16!!!!

Message 58/63             04-Mar-00  @  12:17 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Shredded303

Yup. The max is 16. The 'other max' is 64, not 20! This is done by chaining Chain up to four patt. at 16 max. per patt. Or, get odd numbers going like 23 for example by chaining patterns that were made in step mode. Patterns are made in step mode by pushing the 'Bar' button while simultaneously tapping the "Step" button. For instance, if you want patt.1 to be 7 measures and you chain to patt.2, then you will have 23 total. Follow the step mode procedure, holding down 'Bar' and tapping in on the 'Tap' button the total number of steps/beats desired for that measure. Do this procedure just after you've cleared a pattern and then enter the pitches and so on, and you'll be jammin. This can create some freaky evolving lines. Try it.

Message 59/63             04-Mar-00  @  12:21 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Shredded303

Everyone prolly knows about chaining, but step mode might not be as obvious and it's really a key feature to the sequencer.

~Peace Out~

Message 60/63             05-Mar-00  @  03:06 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Shredded303

...Oops, I meant 7 beats in a measure not 7 measures in a pattern. Getting tracks and patterns transposed in the wording.

Trev, the ability to link the knobs to follow any knob would be cool. I read somewhere that someone used rubber bands to make a couple knobs turn together, this is the idea. It could be useful to link combinations of parameters that change in tandem relative to individual intitial settings set per knob. Also, if this could be reset in real-time as the knobs are being dialed I can imagine the results would be impressive.

Message 61/63             08-Mar-00  @  07:59 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

skot_e

Correct me if I am wrong, coz I read the manual a few years back now, but you can enter 12 steps for triplets, 16 steps, and I am sure I remember reading that you can enter 20 for a 5/4 sequence. I'll have to check that out...

Appologies if I am wrong.

Message 62/63             09-Mar-00  @  02:07 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

jcraig

a 5/4 sequence would have to take up two patterns chained together (4/4+1/4)

Message 63/63             18-Mar-00  @  04:21 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

tba03

Very good idea...I want one may be 2...mail me whe build
I also have some ideas, like real analog distortion
the keys pads MUST play sound so you can play it live or via midi
IT HAVE to run on batteries and have a phone out
If you can put 2 osc, go for it and add a fine tune on osc2 to phatten up the sound
that'a all for now

Viewing all 63 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7

There are 63 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)