aaa Transposing Problem - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Transposing Problem

Viewing all 32 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/32             01-Apr-00  @  08:38 PM   -   Transposing Problem

pedicelli

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

After four freaking years, I finally got my TB-303...mint condition and all. Anyways...

I've got a little problem...when I make a pattern and play it back, it sometimes plays the pattern but transposed a few notes from what I originally made it. Can anyone explain this?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/32             02-Apr-00  @  07:39 AM   -   RE: Transposing Problem

R

Link?:  Link

Oh oh!!
Does this transposing always affect all patterns or just some of them??
When does it appear exactly? After powering up the machine? During play? Would you say it's real transposing or detuning?
Looks like a fault on the pitch-DA. Or the transopose function is activated by itself. Hhmmm...

Message 3/32             02-Apr-00  @  08:02 AM   -   RE: Transposing Problem

trevor

Hi,

I just got a tb303 too! Nice on the outside, but a bit mangled on the inside. Anyway, I have spend the last three days bringing it back to life. As well as other things, one of the memory chips was on the way out. Two of the four data lines were playing up, and often remained asserted constantly. During use, this caused the pattern pitch to shift about all over the place.....

Anyway I hope - and expect that yours won't have such a problem. It could be something simple, even psu problem. I can thing of many things that might cause this, without playing with it myself I can't be sure. As R@F suggests quite rightly, a problem with the DA is also a possibility.

Does it shift the pattern about erraticly during playback - or does it *stay* transposed at that pitch all the time?

Trev

Message 4/32             02-Apr-00  @  09:22 AM   -   RE: Transposing Problem

R

hey Trev! Nice chance to ask...
Did you replace the RAM with an original µPD444? I've asked Roland Germany for some parts last time. Damn the RAMs go for 39DM (20$US). According to my comparsion table they can be substituted with 2114 SRAMs, which are easy to find and quite cheap. Any experiences?? I don't know if they're pin-compatible, since I cannot find a datasheet for the 444's.
BTW: How much did you pay for the 303?

Message 5/32             02-Apr-00  @  05:38 PM   -   RE: Transposing Problem

pedicelli

Link?:  No link

It happens during play with stop and start...I would sequence a pattern, play it, stop, then restart it and it would sound transposed...

Message 6/32             03-Apr-00  @  04:35 AM   -   RE: Transposing Problem

Trev

Yes! I replaced mine with a 2114 RAM.

Take a look at the TB303 schematics. You can see the pinouts there for the '444. I obtained the pinouts for the 2114 from the Chip Directory (can't remember the url offhand). They ARE 100% pin compatable. I simply shoved a 2114 into the existing pads on the PCB.

And the problem? Well, I woke up in the next morning, turned on my 303 and... shit! The batteries were run down! Why? Because, unlike the '444 which draws microamps in standby (i.e. when the chip select line is high) the 2114 I used draws several 10's of mA! During use, the 303 will draw up to double the current. So with the TB303 switched off, the batteries had to supply a lot of current to keep this one 2114 in standby.

The 2114's I had were pulled out of the back of a teletext TV board, believe it or not. I don't know what exact type the are. Anyway, they are not CMOS if they draw this much current.

So you CAN replace them with 2114's - BUT make sure you use low power versions. If it is still possible to find a cheaper source for these 2114's then they are a perfect substitute. It seems as if these IC's use a standard pinout, which many other 1024 x 4 memory IC's will use. There may therefore be other compatible types.

My TB303 is still sitting there waiting for a new memory IC, since I have removed the 2114 I used. I was going to phone Roland for a new 444 today actually, but if they are that expensive, I might not bother! I am actually planning to design a small daughterboard that plugs into an 18pin socket in place of one of the IC's. It would contain a single memory IC that replaces the whole lot, and have a small backup battery too, to retain the memory even without the C cells in place. I think it is a good idea to hack in a newer, cheaper part rather than fork out for an old obsolete part.

Oh - I paid 200UKP for my TB303, which is about $320 I think. Yeah cheap I know, but it needed some pretty major repairs which took me a few days.

Trev

Message 7/32             03-Apr-00  @  04:46 AM   -   RE: Transposing Problem

Trev

Yes! I replaced mine with a 2114 RAM.

Take a look at the TB303 schematics. You can see the pinouts there for the '444. I obtained the pinouts for the 2114 from the Chip Directory (can't remember the url offhand). They ARE 100% pin compatable. I simply shoved a 2114 into the existing pads on the PCB.

And the problem? Well, I woke up in the next morning, turned on my 303 and... shit! The batteries were run down! Why? Because, unlike the '444 which draws microamps in standby (i.e. when the chip select line is high) the 2114 I used draws several 10's of mA! During use, the 303 will draw up to double the current. So with the TB303 switched off, the batteries had to supply a lot of current to keep this one 2114 in standby.

The 2114's I had were pulled out of the back of a teletext TV board, believe it or not. I don't know what exact type the are. Anyway, they are not CMOS if they draw this much current.

So you CAN replace them with 2114's - BUT make sure you use low power versions. If it is still possible to find a cheaper source for these 2114's then they are a perfect substitute. It seems as if these IC's use a standard pinout, which many other 1024 x 4 memory IC's will use. There may therefore be other compatible types.

My TB303 is still sitting there waiting for a new memory IC, since I have removed the 2114 I used. I was going to phone Roland for a new 444 today actually, but if they are that expensive, I might not bother! I am actually planning to design a small daughterboard that plugs into an 18pin socket in place of one of the IC's. It would contain a single memory IC that replaces the whole lot, and have a small backup battery too, to retain the memory even without the C cells in place. I think it is a good idea to hack in a newer, cheaper part rather than fork out for an old obsolete part.

Oh - I paid 200UKP for my TB303, which is about $320 I think. Yeah cheap I know, but it needed some pretty major repairs which took me a few days.

Trev

Message 8/32             03-Apr-00  @  04:57 AM   -   RE: Transposing Problem

trevor

Intrestingly, I just nosed around the DevilFish site. He actually advises against using 2114's in the TB303 maintenance pages - because you must use low power devices. Maybe 2114s aren't available in a suitable low power version..?

Message 9/32             03-Apr-00  @  01:10 PM   -   RE: Transposing Problem

i3k

Yo Pedicelli! I thought 303's were "overpriced 20 years old unreliable sythesizers" ha ha! Welcome to the real world my friend! Peace  

Message 10/32             03-Apr-00  @  04:33 PM   -   RE: Transposing Problem

R

Yeah, that`s the question: Is there a CMOS version of the 2114 available?? I don't own the datasheet. I found one from NEC (µPD 2114) which is NMOS. I guess that's the point here : There seems to be no low power version of the 2114   NMOS has always a higher current drain than CMOS.

The store where I usually get my compononts (they offer a wide range of japanese parts including 2SC1583, M5218L, 4558, BA6110 etc.) sell 2114's called "2114LC-3". Low current? Don't know. I would try a new 2114 first, before concerning about a original 444. According to the 808 service docs there's another compatible part called HM4334P-4. But I don't know where to get this RAM.

You've found it in a teletext TV board?? Absolutely possible. The 2114 is used in a C-64 too (Color RAM, 4Bits=16 colors).

According to Pediccelli's transposing problem: You stop a pattern, restart it and it's suddenly transposed?? Oh oh, this looks like a problem very similar to Trevor's 303. RAM or even CPU (i hope not cause it's no longer available).
Anyways, it seems to be real hardware problem. It needs some test equipment and some skills in electronics to locate the fault part. Especially when it comes up to digital stuff (I remember when I've repaired the 202 of a friend which had a damaged RAM too).
Don't you know any guys which are skilled in electronics to repair it for you??

Message 11/32             03-Apr-00  @  09:09 PM   -   RE: Transposing Problem

pedicelli

You've gotta be shitting me. Well, the transposing problem doesn't always happen. My master MIDI Clock is coming from the ER-1, and sometimes it just takes a stop/play to get it back to normal. It's really weird.

Message 12/32             04-Apr-00  @  08:07 AM   -   RE: Transposing Problem

trevor

The first thing I would say is that, without being able to see the machine and play with it, it would be difficult for either of us to suggest the cause. The most weirdest of things can happen as a result of some fault that you would have never expected. For example, when I had my TB303, both the pitch mode and normal mode LEDs were always on - always. The cause? Faulty RAM. The data lines from the RAM share the same lines as the LEDs...

There are many people around who would be able to service your TB303. Either R@F or I would probably be able to sort it out. I'd be happy to take a look at it, if you shipped it to me and covered the cost for return postage. I doubt I'd charge much if it is something simple.

It is well worth you getting your TB303 serviced by someone who is very familiar with the machine, rather than someone who has a bit of general knowledge.

Oh yes - I ordered a new, original memory IC (444) from Roland today, and I've got a new modeswitch to solder in tonight. Hopefully by tomorrow that will be all the repairs completed :-)

Message 13/32             04-Apr-00  @  09:56 AM   -   RE: Transposing Problem

pedicelli

Well, as it stands right now, the problem doesn't bother me that much. I can always work around it. If it starts to screw up some more, I'll let you know.

Message 14/32             05-Apr-00  @  06:19 AM   -   RE: Transposing Problem

Trev again

Yaaay... got my new RAM IC in the post today... popped it into my TB303 and now I have a fully working BassLine :-)

Trev

Message 15/32             05-Apr-00  @  02:31 PM   -   RE: Transposing Problem

R

Congratulations  
I wish I'd just paid 200UKP for my 303 one year ago...

have fun!

Message 16/32             07-Apr-00  @  06:06 AM   -   RE: Transposing Problem

Trev

How much did you pay for it, if I may ask?

What do you think is the sort of price they go for now? I've heard of one going for 400 UKP, but that was being sold to a shop for resale (they never do give you that much). OTOH, I see them being advertised for 800UKP still.

Trev

Message 17/32             07-Apr-00  @  05:56 PM   -   RE: Transposing Problem

oldskool

Well Trev, my first 303 in 89 I paid £45! My second in 93 £65! My current one I paid £400 (3 months ago) but I had been looking for months for a sub £500 one in mint condition. Generally the UK price seems to be £550-800 depending on condition and accessories. I got the bag, original manual, PSU, and the elusive chord shift scale! Funnily enough the guy I got it off wanted to swap for a Quasimidi 309!
Since buying it I have resoldered the sync socket, done a few mild mods and replaced the LEDs with Kingbright Blue ones which look stunning.

Message 18/32             08-Apr-00  @  04:29 AM   -   RE: Transposing Problem

Trev

Wow - do you actually have that many - or do you not still have the ones you got in 89, 93? Well I was a bit young at that time to take interest in anything like that!! :-)

Trev (who is 21... and probably missed out on shitloads)

Message 19/32             08-Apr-00  @  04:06 PM   -   RE: Transposing Problem

oldskool

Nah Trev, I had to sell the first two off due to financial reasons! Although a friend of a friend of mine has 6 yes 6 303s! I would never sell my current one though and I advise you to never sell yours either.

BTW I'm 30 (old bastard!)

Message 20/32             08-Apr-00  @  09:04 PM   -   RE: Transposing Problem

R

I (22) have found mine in a small music store here in our city. Paid 1300DM (650$US) for it, which is a quite good price here in Germany. 303's normally go for an average of about 1600DM-1700DM depending on the condition. I guess prices are generally very similar compared to the US or UK.

Message 21/32             10-Apr-00  @  09:51 AM   -   RE: Transposing Problem

Maarten

(22)Paid 1800 Dutch guilders (about$850)
for it and won't sell it , even over my dead body! See , price doesn't matter that much no more if you're determined to have THAT real sound,and knowing that chances are you keep it for the rest of your life.Anyone want to purchase a $5000 car (1995) which probably has a life-span to 2003?
Heads-up.

-M-

Message 22/32             11-Apr-00  @  04:55 AM   -   RE: Transposing Problem

trevor

By the way, was there really only 20000 made? When you consider that only a fraction of that number will be around after so long, it seems remarkable that I managed to get one in the first place!

Message 23/32             11-Apr-00  @  09:33 AM   -   RE: Transposing Problem

Maarten

We're a bunch of lucky bastards !  

Message 24/32             11-Apr-00  @  02:23 PM   -   RE: Transposing Problem

i3k

I have read that 20,000 TR606s were produced and that the TB303 was not nearly as popular, with estimates as low as 2000 units worldwide. I think I read it in an American mag a few years back, also the 808 sold about 30,000 units and the 909 11,000 units. I may have these figures wrong or mixed up but I definately remember that the 303 was MUCH rarer than it's drum machine counterparts and that the 909 is much rarer than the 808 and 606 due to bad timing of it's release (to late). I think it was in Keyboard magazine that I read it  

Message 25/32             11-Apr-00  @  03:04 PM   -   RE: Transposing Problem

R

Yes we are!!!
And there were just about 10000 TR-909's made!!! So people hurry up and get one of the last ones till they're gone. LOL

Message 26/32             11-Apr-00  @  03:06 PM   -   RE: Transposing Problem

R

ooops someone faster than me w/ the 909 :-)

Message 27/32             16-Apr-00  @  06:03 AM   -   RE: Transposing Problem

trevor

Hey R@F -

Here's the website of someone else who has already completed a combined 808 and 909 clone. He's helped me by giving me the original ROM images for the cymbal / hihat sounds for the 909 circuits.

Actually I think it was on a different thread that we were talking about this, but never mind... ;-)

http://www.octavo.demon.co.uk/colinf/home.htm

Cheers, Trev

Message 28/32             16-Apr-00  @  06:31 PM   -   RE: Transposing Problem

R

Yeah Colin is a member of the synth DIY too. Did you ask him about the 2SD1469's??
Did you see his nice small Midi2DinSync converter? Looks very interesting! I'm currently searching for someone who has a PIC-programmer.

CYa
R@F

Message 29/32             17-Apr-00  @  07:35 AM   -   RE: Transposing Problem

trevor

I can program the PIC for you if you like. PICs are my speciality. I designed the firmware for a number of midi/cv converters, including the midiDAC and the midi/cv converter embedded in the forthcoming TB3030M from Oakley Sound Systems. I'll probably design a similar converter for myself after the easter hols for my tb303.

Yeah we did discuss the 1469's. I think that, just like yourself, he's experimenting with equivalents.

Cheers,

Trev

Message 30/32             19-Apr-00  @  04:47 PM   -   RE: Transposing Problem

R

I'm amazed! Trev you seem to be an allround hardware freak   My skills are limited to pure analog stuff. I thought of getting into microcontrollers but then I always prefer to use my spare time for producing, hehe.
So what's your price for a programmed 12C508?

Message 31/32             20-Apr-00  @  04:41 PM   -   RE: Transposing Problem

trevor

I'll see if my programmer can cope with that device. If it can, then just send me one in the post, and provide me with payment for postage for sending it back. I won't charge for doing it - it would be wrong for me to charge because it is Colin's work and not my own.

In fact, Colin himself would also supply you with one. But if he is too busy, I would do it for you.

Cheers,

Trev

Message 32/32             24-Apr-00  @  01:35 PM   -   RE: Transposing Problem

R

Yeah back again on the Synth DIY list...

I'd like to build 3 of these Midi2Sync converters. Would it be okay to send you three PIC's ?? Which PIC-programmer are you using?? I thought of building one of these programmers which can be found in the net. Anyways just give me your address and tell me how much money you need for sending it back. I gonna order the PIC's next days.

thanks

R@F

Viewing all 32 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

There are 32 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)