aaa Improve your TB303's Bass Response - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Improve your TB303's Bass Response

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             03-Apr-00  @  05:02 AM   -   Improve your TB303's Bass Response

trevor

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Replace capacitors C20, C21 for 0.1uF.
I've not tried this yet, but it's a mod mentioned on the Devilfish site. The values are not critical so might as well just solder the new capacitors in parallel with the existing ones, on the solder side (making 1.1uF).

I thought I'd repeat it here since one or two people have told me that they would like a better bass response on their 303. If anyone in or around the UK would like me to do a mod for them on their 303, get in touch.

Trev

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             03-Apr-00  @  12:58 PM   -   RE: Improve your TB303's Bass Response

i3k

Link?:  No link

I have done this mod and the others on Robins site - all of them are excellent and very easy to do. They give the 303 a wider range but without losing the essential sound. If you go a little higher with the caps you can get even more bass!
Trev, do you know how to put a CV in to the filter? I have looked around on a few places and can't seem to get the accurate info. I don't want to get a kenton kit as I dont need the other functions. BTW There are some interesting mods on music machines too.

Message 3/5             04-Apr-00  @  08:10 AM   -   RE: Improve your TB303's Bass Response

Trev

Yes I know how to add a CV input to the filter. Do you mean a control voltage to alter the cutoff using external CV? This is quite straightforward. I did this with my TB303 clones.

Will find the info tonight at home for you.

Message 4/5             04-Apr-00  @  10:18 AM   -   RE: Improve your TB303's Bass Response

trevor

Link?: Link

To alter the filter cutoff frequency using an external control voltage input:

Take a look at the TB303's PCB. You should find a 100K resistor connected to the wiper (middle pin) on the envelope modulation potentiometer (I don't know the resistor part no. on the PCB offhand). Find the point where the other side this resistor connects to (a transistor), and connect one end of a new 100K resistor to there. Stick your CV into this resistor to alter the filter cutoff using an external CV.

At the moment I'm sitting in the labs during a break and I don't have access to the original TB303 diagrams right now, so I am looking at the diagrams for my clone which I can get off the web. But they are essentially the same. This will certainly work.

Connect a wire from the other end of the new resistor to a socket on the back, not forgetting to connect the socket's outer pin connector to ground also.

Note that applying a voltage input will affect the range of the cutoff control, and vice versa. Simply because you are kind of summing the voltages (not strictly true in this case, but you can think of it like that).

Trev

Message 5/5             04-Apr-00  @  03:19 PM   -   RE: Improve your TB303's Bass Response

i3k

Cool, cheers Trev will try soon  

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)