aaa Stepping the TB-303 - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Stepping the TB-303

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             06-Apr-00  @  07:27 PM   -   Stepping the TB-303

pedicelli

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Check this...

Let's say your programming a bassline, and you're doing the part of it which relates to setting up the accents, slides, up & down...when I get to the 16th step and then press NEXT, is it normal to get unprogrammed notes (meaning that it does not return to the 1st step?)

Also, is there a way to go back into WRITE mode after PLAY mode and edit those features (accent, slide, up & down) starting at the 1st step. Cause sometimes I'll go back in and it's not.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             07-Apr-00  @  02:07 AM   -   RE: Stepping the TB-303

Maarten

Link?:  Link

Pedicelli, guess it's normal , mine does the same thing. And yes , after playback you can edit the notes again.
Just press the pitch mode button again and walk right through your pattern ,editing as you go.

-M-

Message 3/5             07-Apr-00  @  06:04 AM   -   RE: Stepping the TB-303

trevor

Link?:  Link

Actually, I have come across a weird thing with the sequencer that I would like to ask about.

When I see other people's patterns on sites such as DJ Terrorist's and the like, the patterns specify one note for each step - even if that step is a rest. So, every pattern has 16 notes, right?

This is what I don't understand. If I Say for example, you enter the following notes in Pitch Mode:

A B C

And then your timing information is: BLACK, REST, BLACK.

The pattern that the TB303 actually plays is:

A, REST, B.

Therefore, the following pattern would not make sense:

Note: A B C
Timing: BLK REST BLK

This is because, when you enter your pitches into memory, it only retrieves and plays the next note from memory when it actually has to play a note. If the 303 rests for a step, it does not take the note from memory. So for a 16 step pattern, you won't enter 16 notes if that pattern has rests or ties in it.

Rebirth, however, is different. Whether a step is a rest or a note, or a tied note, you still enter a pitch for each step. It actually uses each pitch for each step, unlike the real TB303.

It's a bit difficult to explain, but someone will know what I am on about... and throw some light on it.

Trev

Message 4/5             07-Apr-00  @  05:36 PM   -   RE: Stepping the TB-303

oldskool

Link?:  No link

Trev, you are quite correct in your observation, I think the reason patterns are written out like that are for ease of re-proggramming. In other words it makes it much easier to step thru each of the modes after a pattern is written and write each step out - regardless of whether the note is actually sounded. Basically if you re-enter it exactly as it is input it will always sound the same - do you follow what I mean? I remember years ago writing my patterns out in this fashion and I still do today. A point to note is that you can enter as many notes as you want into the 303 but it will only ever play the first 16 max. Another point worth mentioning is to not pay too much attention to what notes and timing info you are entering as you can get some of the most innovative patterns imaginable, turn off your musical head for the best patterns! This for me is one of the reasons the 303 has remained so popular: because of the sequencer.

Message 5/5             26-Apr-00  @  07:26 PM   -   RE: Stepping the TB-303

x

Link?:  No link

Damn straight!

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)