aaa how do i make my drums come alive? - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: how do i make my drums come alive?

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/13             26-Mar-01  @  03:18 PM   -   how do i make my drums come alive?

fink

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

i', programming some rhythms in cubase with a kit from a proteus 2000. this problem always arises when i'm using single hits though.

the groove, although nice, doesn't seem 'real'. it actually sounds programmed and when i'm trying to make breaks out of single hits i simply cannot emulate the raw feel.

the sounds themselves are not breakbeat by nature but the rhythm is. any suggestions???

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/13             27-Mar-01  @  03:15 AM   -   RE: how do i make my drums come alive?

deetee_sounds

Link?: Link

can you add one of these beats as a midifile please with your post

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/13             27-Mar-01  @  01:06 PM   -   RE: how do i make my drums come alive?

Jasper

grooves, if your programming onto straight 1/16ths it's going to sound rigid, other little things like slight hits with a snare at low volumes say 3/16ths after a main hit add a bit of life.there is a prog called wavelab that lets you load a drumloop then adjust a slider that cuts the loop into it's respective parts (by volume), apart from being able to save the cut up beats separately (very usefull) you can also save the bar positions as a midi groove template.

Message 4/13             27-Mar-01  @  07:57 PM   -   RE: how do i make my drums come alive?

ghost b

Jasper, I think you mean WaveSurgeon....
it's only $25, and it's real handy. Some people use ReCycle, but that's a lot more money.
If you're just cutting up breaks, WaveSurgeon is the key....

Message 5/13             28-Mar-01  @  01:17 PM   -   RE: how do i make my drums come alive?

k

ok here's some secret tips - get a cheap guitar combi and run an aux out from the drum mix run it into the amp input, crank up the gain, run a line out back to the board - prepare for 'Live' beats from dry clinical drum samples... DMA plugins.. the speaker sim one... anything that add's distortion... the old classic loops were done with VALVE GEAR & MIXERS... also try to creaste the digital fake equivilent of 'Overhead mics' - run out a stereo drum mix copy eq out the bottom end emphasise the mid a touch, add it thru some room verb, belnd it back into the stereo drum mix... etc etc.. byt the amp is the killer one it makes even dry clinical drums (like in say the SR16) thump & hum like the bastard mutant zombie of clive stubblefeild!!!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/13             28-Mar-01  @  04:05 PM   -   RE: how do i make my drums come alive?

Jasper

yeah, wavesurgeon :P.
I was messing with this free plugin last night that emulates old viynl and ac mains hum amongst other stuff, it has these setting for 1900 up to 2000. anyway, it sounds bloody great. I got this cut up loop to sound like a 1900's 78. stuck the whole thing through a compressor with the kick. nice.

Message 7/13             29-Mar-01  @  05:42 AM   -   RE: how do i make my drums come alive?

k

is that the iZotope ? - beautiful s/w eh?..

Message 8/13             29-Mar-01  @  11:56 AM   -   RE: how do i make my drums come alive?

fink

ok guys, cheers for those tips. i think i need to work on my finer drum programming techniques too.

Message 9/13             29-Mar-01  @  01:57 PM   -   RE: how do i make my drums come alive?

Jasper

izotope yeah, looks great too.

Message 10/13             30-Mar-01  @  11:23 AM   -   RE: how do i make my drums come alive?

Jasper

it wasn't izotope, i checked last night.. the one I've got is called 'grungeliser'

Message 11/13             31-Mar-01  @  03:06 AM   -   RE: how do i make my drums come alive?

8life8

Also a side note: u r using a rom based kit so each hit sounds the same, try out slight velocity programming and assign velocity to different modulations .. unfortunately the protus doesn’t allow u to edit individual drum sounds in a kit so u have to have a multi w the same kit on a few channels to do so,, if u r very serious about your beats u might want to invest in something like a sp12 or a emax they will add “aliveness” to your sound.. fxmple I can listen to a simple beat on a 808 for hours always hearing new melodies cos the beat is constantly changing, not that u notice it per beat. it’s more of a feel…

Message 12/13             04-Apr-01  @  11:59 AM   -   RE: how do i make my drums come alive?

fink

right, i'm gonna work hard on drum breaks this week.

thanks all.

Message 13/13             05-Apr-01  @  04:45 PM   -   RE: how do i make my drums come alive?

Jasper

or even use cubase vst5 on external midi equipment, cos the feel is also constantly changing, it aint supposed to but there ya go.

on a sampler map a freeform lfo to slightly modify stuff.

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)