aaa hi hat´s effect´s - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: hi hat´s effect´s

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/12             22-Apr-01  @  10:45 AM   -   hi hat´s effect´s

len

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

any tip´ on getting your hat´s to sit on top off the mix any effect´s unit´s delay´s distortion phaser pedal´s old valve gear etc that u know off I need some name´s and make´s if pos..are enhancer any good for this... I do have some old guitar combe thing´e but it sound´s a bit too harsh I´m makeing tecno house stuff any thing that might help me out

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             22-Apr-01  @  05:22 PM   -   RE: hi hat´s effect´s

k

Link?: Link

how d'you mean like?.. it's down to the way you eq it really. don't the hats cut thru or something, what's the problem? - I like to sometimes pan my hats thru a delay L/R with the original panned one way and the delay (20-50 ms or so) panned hard the other side to get a wide stereo hat spread which also opens up the center for snare & other top end so they can be less harsh and cut thru. The quality of the hat samples in the first place also makes a difference of course

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/12             22-Apr-01  @  06:49 PM   -   RE: hi hat´s effect´s

jim left

thay sound dead no movement if u will...as for e.q that could help but when I get them sitting O.k thay sound thin and wank that´s why I thought about the enhancer. I´m just looking for some tip´s on the subject and trying to find out if it´s worth buying some old delay´´s etc most of my beat´s sound like a bag of shit to be honest with u and most of my sample are pretty crap too but I´m working on that thank´s for tip

Message 4/12             24-Apr-01  @  04:07 AM   -   RE: hi hat´s effect´s

k

what's the sound source coming from for your hats ?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/12             24-Apr-01  @  08:58 AM   -   RE: hi hat´s effect´s

jim left

Well I use an mpc and sample from the net and sample cd´s I fill stuped owning an mpc sometime´s I just can´t seem to make a beat to save my life and it´s not from lack of trying..sure I can make something that sound´s o.k but nothing that really rock´s and getting my hat´s right seem´s to be a big problem.. to be honest I´m lost fill´s like I´m going round in circle´s god help me

Message 6/12             02-May-01  @  01:17 PM   -   RE: hi hat´s effect´s

Spybase

Link?:  Link

if you're stuck for inspiration and can't make stuff 'groove' right then try getting a 4 beat loop of a break beat you like and either

a) use recycle to split into hits
b) use the mpc to split into hits

then start off by recreating the timing of the original loop, then swap a few bits around, then try some crazy fills, change the speed, the swing....

messing with breakbeats (which have already been produced once so all the sounds sit together) basically taught me how to program - after you do that for a couple of years you'll be able to program beats from scratch with no problem....

make no mistake, drum programming is an art form that requires dedication. no-one (except the odd genius) can sit down at a drum machine/sampler and make good beats straight off, no matter how good the sampler. the trick is to learn it a little bit at a time - first off patterns, then different sounds, then envelopes, then eqs, then compression (or whatever order takes your fancy).

i reckon if you try to do it all straight off you'll fall flat on your face though.

the other thing that'll really help you is to get a looping sample up while you program. drums programmed in isolation often sound too busy in a mix so by starting off with other sounds in you can make it groove easier.

hope that helps.

Message 7/12             02-May-01  @  07:03 PM   -   RE: hi hat´s effect´s

jim left

yeh, it´s not easy i think i´m gona get recycle and start pulling thing apart thank´s

Message 8/12             02-May-01  @  07:33 PM   -   RE: hi hat´s effect´s

k

VELOCITY of individual hits in the beat is SO important.

Message 9/12             03-May-01  @  12:59 PM   -   RE: hi hat´s effect´s

jim left

is it wise to keep the velocity variation fairly small on your main sound´s like hat´s, snare´s, kik etc or what........very helpfull drum atricle by the way

Message 10/12             03-May-01  @  03:38 PM   -   RE: hi hat´s effect´s

k

no man i make MASSIVE variations in my hat velkocities... it's the little pre-hits with really low velocities like 20 or 30 that make a pattern groove along - some of the hats are not even AUDIBLE in the traditional sense but under the beat they are moving along and forcing air to move which you feel imperceptibly

Message 11/12             03-May-01  @  05:34 PM   -   RE: hi hat´s effect´s

jim left

don´t be bloody weeke i´m dumm ah ah thak´s for the tip i´m gona try that

Message 12/12             08-May-01  @  11:05 AM   -   RE: hi hat´s effect´s

Jasper

try doing everything that k has said but put the resulting pattern through an expander, the one I'm messing with is the db-audioware dynamics processor that comes in the 4-pack. with lots of velocity variations you can get those house style squelchy slippy sounding hats. and then stick that through a compressor or something with the kick to get a pumping groove. if you use short snappy uk garage style sounds with a 4floor hard kick using this you get 1995 style funky techno.. wierd eh?

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)