aaa electro/IDM drum patterns - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: electro/IDM drum patterns

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             24-Apr-01  @  12:52 AM   -   electro/IDM drum patterns

brutal_chud

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

- Okay, so how do I make them? I keep trying and trying, but everything I sequence comes out all wrong. I realize electro and IDM aren't quite the same thing, and the idea is sort of that they are a little random, but I like both and am having trouble with both. So if you have any general sets of guidelines to go by when making these patterns, if I should use swing, any sample patterns to use as templates, I would be very appriciative.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             24-Apr-01  @  04:08 AM   -   RE: electro/IDM drum patterns

k

well give us some track/artist examples cos it's a huge genre.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/7             24-Apr-01  @  04:55 AM   -   RE: electro/IDM drum patterns

brutal_chud

I guess aphex twin, anything on rephlex really, autechre, squarepusher, kid 606, also stuff like boards of canada and mouse on mars, their patterns are usually pretty simple though.

Message 4/7             24-Apr-01  @  05:27 AM   -   RE: electro/IDM drum patterns

yams

Link?:  No link

Why don't they just call the genre 'Warp' because after all warp records is idm. The definition of the genre is huge but the artists in the genre itself is small.

There are no rules to idm and hardly any of the tracks sound like they follow a common rule. Item, the beat's in autechre's flutter from the anti ep does not sound like any other beat from anything else that is considered idm, nothing.
Idm is pretty much the miscellenous genre that is continually being redefined by the artist's who created it.

Message 5/7             24-Apr-01  @  10:45 PM   -   RE: electro/IDM drum patterns

brutal_chud

Well, the stuff I'm talking about, it's like braks, but very fast and more random, drill n' bassy rythyms, you know? The other style I'm looking for help on is the kid 606 style, which is usually done on a (surprise!) 606, the breaky electro kinda stuff.

Message 6/7             24-Apr-01  @  10:45 PM   -   RE: electro/IDM drum patterns

brutal_chud

Well, the stuff I'm talking about, it's like breaks, but very fast and more random, drill n' bassy rythyms, you know? The other style I'm looking for help on is the kid 606 style, which is usually done on a (surprise!) 606, the breaky electro kinda stuff.

Message 7/7             25-Apr-01  @  06:12 PM   -   RE: electro/IDM drum patterns

k

yeah buts it's really impssible to say 'like this' cos the beats change so much within a track & per bar often & the beats themselves are what i'd call 'intuitive'.. you just need a good overall knowledge of beats and creativity with your programming and samples... and DONT try to COPY other people of course... but say a track like Squarepushers 'North Circular is drum & bass, triplets, 123,123,123,123,12,12...123,123,123,123,12,12 etc, same with 'Gong acid' even tho it might sound like it just square beat it aint... acid gong's intro sounds like it's based on a Ghanian beat to me (loosely), but then it's riddled with tempo changes etc... 'Freeeman Hardy & Willis acid' - ha ha ha Lol!!!... again 3 time... 123, 123, 12 - 123, 123, 12... whatever.. get with the triplets lad!!!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)