aaa If you're sick of dance tracks.. - Music tracks & feedback forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: If you're sick of dance tracks..

Viewing all 18 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/18             15-May-01  @  05:02 PM   -   If you're sick of dance tracks..

99devils

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Some of you may know that I've been working with a band lately as keyboard player/noisemaker.. We're starting to get some fruits from our labor, and since one can only take so much cheesy trance... ;-)

Anyways, here they be. No sequencing was used (not in the traditional sense anyways), and the Jazzy Song also features me on guitars.

Feedback on the mix is most appreciated. This was the first time I miked a drum kit, and the results are mixed..

Thanks!

-Craig

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/18             15-May-01  @  10:38 PM   -   RE: If you're sick of dance tracks..

Moujik

Link?:  Link

I d/l "Light Em Up" - just cos I liked the name..

Good stuff - from a personal point of view, I like the way you avoided it becoming too "rock" with that reggae-ish thing....skankin'  

The tempo change around 2mins also worked pretty well I think - broke it up nicely.

Cant really comment technically on the miking/mixing other than to say it sounded fine to me. I guess this goes for all my comments really, but figured I may as well post something after I d/l it!!

Chris

Message 3/18             16-May-01  @  07:03 PM   -   RE: If you're sick of dance tracks..

99devils

Thanks for listening bro  

-Craig

Message 4/18             16-May-01  @  08:56 PM   -   RE: If you're sick of dance tracks..

nothingnewhere

I listend to all of em. A little to 'rock' for me, but still nice. Light 'em up is my fav out of all of them. They all would be great with some good lyrics + a singer.

drummer hits the snare and cymbals way too much on most songs I think. maybe take them down a bit in the mix, might be my pref. though.

Message 5/18             16-May-01  @  09:54 PM   -   RE: If you're sick of dance tracks..

99devils

Yes! He does hit the metals far too much!

There's still some work that needs to be done on the drums. They're really only minimally processed, only some gating on the snare and kick to get rid of some bleed. I need to add a little compression on almost all of the drums to keep the dynamics reasonable. I never miked drums before.. The results are, umm, mixed  

-Craig

Message 6/18             16-May-01  @  10:27 PM   -   RE: If you're sick of dance tracks..

rhea

I can't get the page to load...I will try from home.

Message 7/18             17-May-01  @  02:08 PM   -   RE: If you're sick of dance tracks..

99devils

Looks like the link doesn't work right:

Try this one

-C

Message 8/18             17-May-01  @  06:49 PM   -   RE: If you're sick of dance tracks..

0/d

Any streams or something small i could listen to? i 'd love to hear it.

btw how were you recording the drumz etc,what mics were you using where were you placing them?(i have a bit of an interest in this sort of thing 

Message 9/18             17-May-01  @  09:15 PM   -   RE: If you're sick of dance tracks..

99devils

I don't have anything small or streaming as of yet, but I could probably hook something up for you.

Drums.. I used a Shure SM57 on the snare, and a pair of Shure SM58s as overheads. Kick was done with a Beyer TGX-58, basically an SM-58 knockoff.

Some things I learned:

When miking the snare, point the mic away from the hi-hat so you minimize bleed.

Kick drum - get some kind of stand.. Don't just throw the mic in the drum. I've read it should be about 2" in front of the front head, and pointing roughly at the spot on the rear head where the beater hits the head. Moving this around gives you more/less beater sound to taste.

-Craig

Message 10/18             29-May-01  @  04:16 AM   -   RE: If you're sick of dance tracks..

rhyze

Now that I know what mics you used I can comment. The only thing that didn't sound very good was the kick drum. That, however, is to be expected considering the mic you used. It isn't the first time someone has miced up almost an entire kit with Shures, I've read more than a few interviews that mentioned such technique. The difference is that, as I recall, a different mic for the kick was employed.

I would suggest purchasing a decent kick drum mic (ATM25) and continue on the course you're on. Once you've learned a bit more, purchase a couple of Oktava MC012 (or similar) condensers for you overheads. After that it will become a matter of taste regarding mics. Of course, continue experimenting with compression, gating, EQ, etc..

The more punk rock stuff sounded true to the form drum-wise. Technically I think you did ann excellent job with the tools available. Buy or borrow a proper kick drum mic and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Mick

Audio-Technica website:

http://www.audiotechnica.com/prodpro/profiles/ATM25.html

Message 11/18             29-May-01  @  08:28 AM   -   RE: If you're sick of dance tracks..

influx

craig Im gonna bitch at you too! why not upload it HERE? 

Message 12/18             29-May-01  @  02:39 PM   -   RE: If you're sick of dance tracks..

99devils

They're all too big to upload here. I'm going to eventually get something smaller, but I need to edit one of the tunes down so it'll fit  

-Craig

Message 13/18             29-May-01  @  07:05 PM   -   RE: If you're sick of dance tracks..

infrasound

just chop a bit off the end dammit  

Message 14/18             29-May-01  @  07:11 PM   -   RE: If you're sick of dance tracks..

BassProShop

I'll vouch for that Audio-Technica. Plenty of thump, plenty of snap, not a buttload of that 240-400 hz crap. I've used it on a trombone and a bass cabinet as well.

Message 15/18             29-May-01  @  09:17 PM   -   RE: If you're sick of dance tracks..

99devils

Yeah, the kick sounded like ass. I also didn't like the way the cymbals came out on some of the tracks..

I will chop a section when I get home. I don't have an audio editor at work. Don't think I can convince the boss that it's essential to database work  

-Craig

Message 16/18             29-May-01  @  09:27 PM   -   RE: If you're sick of dance tracks..

sitar

I could've swarn I listened already but just realized I haven't yet. Tomorrow dude. Sorry 'bout that.

Message 17/18             31-May-01  @  04:56 PM   -   RE: If you're sick of dance tracks..

sitar

Post tracks here!!!! }-/

The buffalo.edu page wouldn't come up so I went to your mp3.com page and listened to Holy Bones. Excellent. The band should be signed. Not the genre I listen to but I enjoyed the synth work a lot. Like the way the synth filter modulates (I think) out at the end of each verse. Nice work.

Message 18/18             31-May-01  @  07:19 PM   -   RE: If you're sick of dance tracks..

99devils

Wow. Thanks Sitar. That stuff's old, but I'm fixing to get back to that at some point. Actually, it's funny you mentioned it because that song is on a local compilation benefitting Hospice that's being released tomorrow.

-Craig

Viewing all 18 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)