aaa Terms & Definitions - Theory / composition / technique forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: Terms & Definitions

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             28-May-01  @  08:22 PM   -   Terms & Definitions

(delete)z

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Can some one lead me in the direction of getting umm...proper definitions for styles like House, Trance etc...sure we know what they sound like but has someone defined them?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             30-May-01  @  06:46 AM   -   RE: Terms & Definitions

Brett B

Link?:  Link

go to a record store...where they sell 12" vinyl. they have most of it catagorized, and you listen and get the picture. Don't bank on it though because each dj or store owner has there own idea about style, and most progressive stuff is so eclectic it comnbines many stlyes. breaks alone can be split up into old school electro, miami breaks and bass like Dj icee, acid phunk, Nu Skooll which uses house, trance , drumm n bass bass lines, and everything from orchestral to rock and jazz. So if you know music, you can identify the elements of a song you can speak the dialect, but to define a song is dificult because they are very complex and diverse at times. But style genre often are defined by the over all feel. things with funky beats are usualy refered to as breaks, and things with disco influences are most likely house, and straight beats with lots of drum rolls, arpegios, and melodies that morph instread of change drasticly are usualy lobbed into the trance area.But trance has sub categories, like psytrance, hard trance and goa. All are very diferant. Jungle and drum and bass have many types as does house. From speed garage, hard house, and deep house. Spend enough time in the clubs and you can write your own definitions. I was 15 when i started listening to dance music. Back then we called it nu wave, then it was all techno, then Belgian New Beat, Hard Floor, House, Acid House etc. It all really came from there and evolved. I remember when all slow techno with hip hop influenced beats was called trip=hop, then left feild, and other styles evolved with artist like portis head, and big neat artists like Left Feild and Chemical Brothers. When i have some time I'll drop back in and try and make a list with some elements that desribe each, but that is a pretty long list and only my perspective albeit a damn experienced one. Hope this helped.

Message 3/4             07-Jun-01  @  03:13 AM   -   RE: Terms & Definitions

BJT

Link?:  No link

The problem with genres is that they change in a small way each year, so over a couple
of years they change quite a bit.

A good way is perhaps talk to, say a house or techno or etc... DJ and ask him/her what his/her favorite label is, never met a DJ who won't give an answer to that.
Then go to a record store and listen to stuff from that label.

Message 4/4             10-Jun-01  @  08:59 PM   -   RE: Terms & Definitions

k

Link?: Link

blimey - well house for me has a funky offbeat bassline with a square main beat feel (not including overbeats for swing & groove)

trance (euro/clubtrance) faster tempo & has square beat or possibly a slight swing on the hat/shaker topline and is characterised by a pushing bassline.

hardhouse - faster again than trance - has a pushing bassline but it has offbeats to force the pace especialy at bar changes between beats...

but like said, there are SO many variations

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)