aaa Makin' Some Drum samples jazzy - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Makin' Some Drum samples jazzy

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             16-Jun-01  @  05:53 AM   -   Makin' Some Drum samples jazzy

john.walsh

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm tring to achieve a certain sort of sound with my sampler, but can't seem to get it right.

It's a soft rolling snare roll effect, with soft "punch-mushy" snares and rushing (but undefined) ride-cymbals'o'doom . It's hard to describe , but it's to be used on this slow,(dare i say trip-hop) song i'm trying to do. ( No dogdy tom riffs to be used at all)

I don't know who to compare the sound to it to.
In my mind it sounds very much like laid back lounge, smokey club, soft sultry singin of some fine mistress with double bass and drums accompaniemnt. (of course maybe i have been overdoing it with the mind expanding drugs)

Please don't tell me i actually have to go out of my comfy chair and leave my sampler to get out, get some exercise and to make friends with a drummer and sample him.

Any ideas, both in programming and in sample manufacture ?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             17-Jun-01  @  04:45 PM   -   RE: Makin' Some Drum samples jazzy

k

Link?: Link

well the snare-roll you speak of could be a brush stroke, jazz drummers use abrush and just s troke away ay the snare skin in circles emphasising beats with a harder push and occaisional beat-strokes - playing a heavey ride like say a zildjian bronze ride etc is again similar, if you play the ride with the stick shaft on the ride edge as opposed to tapping the ride with the stick tip, you can get the cymbel to start resonating and without sounding actual ride 'strikes' (where you HEAR the stick tip striking the ride) you can cause the ride cymbel to continualy change it's emphasis; like a sort of continual dark thundery rolling ride sound with louder & softer bits

so, to acheive that (whilst i've never tried it) i'd say first you need to make the ride sample so that it can be continualy retriggered without cutting off the previous note then set the tone right with pitch & filter, then set velocity to enevelope decay and try that... the snare would be harder, as I don't really know what you mean... but if it IS brush strokes as I'm guessing on, then you need some appropriate samples of brush stroke rhythms. The big proglem with that is the strokes themselves are circled in time with the track (according to the drummers choosen timeing), so qhuite how one would alter that (besides timestretch) from a given snare-brush 'feel' in a given sample; i dunno.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/9             18-Jun-01  @  06:06 PM   -   RE: Makin' Some Drum samples jazzy

rhea_

Try applying some attack on the snare. It will soften your snare sound giving it almost a "brushy" feel. I got very good result with this tech. especially when programming fills and rolls.

Hope this helps.

Message 4/9             18-Jun-01  @  09:46 PM   -   RE: Makin' Some Drum samples jazzy

8life8

the mpc2kXl r brillinat for this kind of stuff, just set the fader to attack (like rhea pointed out) layer it with a cymbal sound (like k pointed out) (u have up to 3 layers per sound) and use the note repeat button along with the velocity sensitif pads to make the roll, u could assign the filter of the cymbal or pitch to velocity to give the roll more of a move/feel .. but hell I don't expect u to go out and spend a few G's on a mpc to do this .. just bragin I guess .. cos I have one.. hehe ha .. I guess only mpc users find that funny ..

Message 5/9             18-Jun-01  @  11:20 PM   -   RE: Makin' Some Drum samples jazzy

rhea_z19

it's all about the empee for drumz.

Message 6/9             20-Jun-01  @  07:32 PM   -   RE: Makin' Some Drum samples jazzy

Milan

Link?:  Link

ah-ha! so, can anyone tell me how to get that ride-with-no-klick sound?

iīm trying to get that wall of noise that you hear in many dīnīb tunes nowadays, but i always get that loud click at the beginig of each ride hit...

tnx!

Message 7/9             20-Jun-01  @  08:23 PM   -   RE: Makin' Some Drum samples jazzy

damballah

you maybe could go cratedigging for some records with Jack DeJohnette on 'em.

slide up the sample start so you miss the strike. or use compression (fast attack/fast release) to soften the initial transient. but like k said, a jazz drummer hits the ride differently when playing like that.

Message 8/9             21-Jun-01  @  04:29 PM   -   RE: Makin' Some Drum samples jazzy

rhea_z19

Again, increase the attack on the ride cymbal. Just enough to get rid of the click. Or as damaballah said set your compressor to fast attack/fast release.

Message 9/9             22-Jun-01  @  02:54 PM   -   RE: Makin' Some Drum samples jazzy

noah

like others said, mess with the attack and decay and sustain. adding a bit of sustain can "mush" things up pleasantly and realize that you can make multiple versions of the same snare in case you want a "whack" somtimes--noah

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)