aaa trouble with my new syntechno - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: trouble with my new syntechno

Viewing all 39 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/39             12-Jul-01  @  09:59 PM   -   trouble with my new syntechno

Brett B

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

just arrive today, and the power light is out. It plays, but the cutoff know makes filter distorion noise when the fdecay is applied at any level. It is a very noticble zipery crackle if you try and tweek the cutoff when any amount of decay is applied. Do you think is my unit or is that charaacteristic of these units. I can't hear this present in their demos , so i think this unit is ground bad or something. I tried changing power supplies but to no avail. I think i am going to have to return it.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/39             16-Jul-01  @  09:06 PM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

k

Link?: Link

that doesnt sound right.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/39             16-Jul-01  @  11:10 PM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

Brett B

Link?:  No link

Rob from syntechno said that they all make a zippery noise do to the digital potentiometer in an analog resonance circuit. But I am sending him samples to see if mine is more than usual.

Message 4/39             17-Jul-01  @  02:55 AM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

8life8

hmmm I have one and I love it, no weird noises or anything.. a very quiet unit and a spot on 303, like k said it doesn't sound right .. these things have like a year warranty so yhea try to get a new one, mine did once spit out this wierd charagteristic tone, sounded kida fuked but I liked it  .. then it went back to normal and I was like damm ..

Message 5/39             17-Jul-01  @  05:24 PM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

Brett B

I made an 81k mp3 to show this issue, but the system will not accept it.

Message 6/39             17-Jul-01  @  07:53 PM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

k

you mean to add it to the forum with a post?.. what error you getting..?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 7/39             17-Jul-01  @  08:21 PM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

Brett B

Error processing CFFILE tag

The MIME type of the uploaded file (audio/mpeg) was not accepted by the server. Please verify that you are uploading a file of the appropriate type.

The error occurred while processing an element with a general identifier of (CFFILE), occupying document position (1:1) to (8:28).

Date/Time: 07/17/01 20:20:24
Browser: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows 98)
Remote Address: 24.240.233.172
HTTP Referer: http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/forums/thread.cfm?threadid=25769&messages=6&chatter_id=23&age=30
Query String: Title=&Age=30

Message 8/39             17-Jul-01  @  08:31 PM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

Brett B

i sent the teebee back. he said he has another one. Kind of a let down though. I have always wanted a 303 but could never afford one, and i hate working without midi. So for over two years now i have waited to buy one of these. I'll be very disappointed if I don't get a new working unit. Plus I have paid for shipping twice now. They are both very nice, Rob at syntechno, and Nathan at jupiter sound. So i am not complaining about that, just my bad luck.

Message 9/39             18-Jul-01  @  06:33 AM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

k

ok it's fixed anyways to take mpeg files

Message 10/39             18-Jul-01  @  08:09 AM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

Brett B

File?:  File

zipper.mp3

well here is the funky zipper noise

Message 11/39             18-Jul-01  @  06:46 PM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

Brett B

Rob at syntecno says that this odd zipper the norm and part of all teebee's. I gues he couldn't figure out how to make a midi controlable potentiometer work with the analog circuit with out doing this. Others do? MAM etc. He should have made the cut off potentiometer anaolg and used one of the cv gate converters inside to control it via midi.

Message 12/39             18-Jul-01  @  08:53 PM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

k

well I owned one and it doesnt do that...

Message 13/39             19-Jul-01  @  05:53 AM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

Brett B

I don't know why Robie would say that then. I sent him that mp3 and he told me they all do? Maybe the other one I get will work. I got a little distressed about his candidness that they all make that horrible zipper noise in the background of the voice when I listened to all the mp3's on his site and non of the demos did it when the filter was being swept. So i asked for a refund. By the way K, did you listen to the mp3 i posted. He did and he says that's normal. I did'nt so i sent it back. I am either getting a new unit or my money back. If they all did that i want my money back, and if it was just the one i got i wanted another unit.

Message 14/39             19-Jul-01  @  07:03 AM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

Brett B

this is what robbie had to say

"Hi Brett,

Sorry to hear your unit was not OK.
I guess Nathan will contact me about it.

In the demo riffs on my page you wouldn't be able to hear any zipper-noise
because the zipper noise can only be heard when you play long notes and
then turn the cutoff. During any riffs, it's impossible to hear the
zipper-noise.

Honestly, I (the maker of the TeeBee) am not able to hear zipper noise
during riffs, only when I play 1 long note and then rotate the knobs and
set the knobs at certain positions. But then again, if this is what you want
to do, the unit is useless for you.

C-ya,
Robbie303 "

Message 15/39             19-Jul-01  @  09:03 PM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

k

oh wait..... sorry.. on your demo audio file there is this overlayed crackling distortion.. i thought THAT was what you meant.... yes there will be some 'steppy-ness' when moving the filter albeit slight.. but as Robbie says, you dont hear this at all when a riff is going which is true.. i never used a teebee style sound for single pad style notes and never heard a TB used this way either.

Message 16/39             20-Jul-01  @  12:11 AM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

Brett B

I was definately refering to the ovelaid sound present in that mp3. Why is Robie not? i was refering to the overlaid sound. You hear the teebee and you hear the other zipper noise crackling. That is what mine sounded like. That is not a anomoly from the mp3. That is how my unit sounded. He says this is normal. What do think? Is that noise normal?

And you've never heard the 303 played with eigth notes doing trancy lagato stuff. It's all over progressive house and trance tracks. The 303 can be very useful as a solo in a ambient sections and doesn't just have to be an acid machine.

Message 17/39             20-Jul-01  @  12:20 AM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

Brett B

File?:  File

leggato.wav

i did this with rebirth because you could hear the cutoff crackle on the teebee

Message 18/39             20-Jul-01  @  12:23 AM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

Brett B

these kinds of riffs with the envelop down revealed the crackle to me when the cutoff knob is turned. By no means did I ever mean the steps in the filter. So give it to me straight. Was my unit defective or do they all make crackles when you trun the cut off on sustained notes and slides?

Message 19/39             21-Jul-01  @  05:06 AM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

k

defective - that crackling nosie wasnt there oin mine it was smooth... but 'zipper' to mke means tiny steps like a zipper... like on dig' synths you get this MORE, VA's and analog less... mine enever crackled/hissed like that at all, BUt there is a little adjuster pot on the front (screw hole) to force the filer to go towards distrortion.....

Message 20/39             21-Jul-01  @  05:07 AM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

k

yeah that Leggato wave is how it should be, thats how mine was, smooth

Message 21/39             22-Jul-01  @  02:54 AM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

Brett B

then i will have hime send me the other unit, or find a used one. when did you get rid of yours, or was it a loner from Robbie?

Message 22/39             23-Jul-01  @  07:48 PM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

k

loaner - i sent it back last year... very good tho i wish I could have afforded to keep it cos it was a huge sound.

Message 23/39             24-Jul-01  @  07:33 AM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

Brett B

I am confused because Robbie listened to the same sample, And i said do you hear the "zippery crackle" and he replied they all do that? Was the zipper comment confusing? I still don't know if i am getting a refund or the other unit Jupiter Sound has left. He hasn't returned my e-mail, and I show that the defective unit was delivered back today. I really want that huge sound as well.

Message 24/39             24-Jul-01  @  05:40 PM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

Brett B

Talked with Nathan at Jupiter Sound, and he is going to listen to the one i sent and the one that he has left and compare them.If the other unit is fine, he is going to send it tofday or in the morning. He and Robbie have been great to deal with with.

Message 25/39             24-Jul-01  @  10:30 PM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

k

like I said check the front panel screw adjsuter which overdrives the teebee filter. But i dont remember it doing that honestly..

Message 26/39             25-Jul-01  @  08:52 PM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

Brett B

I turned it down, and it made no change. Now Nathan is trying to reproduce the crackle using an electribe and a controler running it into his home stereo, and he says he can't hear it. I sent hime instructions and the mp3. I should have never said "zipper" and just said crackle. Do you think there is a possibility that they all crackle when the cut off knob is turned when the envelop is all the way down , res up, and decay up and you play a sustained note. You really can only hear it clearly when a note is sustained. But I could also hear it when i turned the knob fast during a riff. The 777 uses an analog potentiometer, maybe Rob should of too, and then send the cv in to the filter for external control of the cutoff.

Message 27/39             25-Jul-01  @  10:50 PM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

Brett B

Robbie still attests that the cutoff noise is normal, but Nathan just sent me this

"Hi Brett.
I got your phone message as well. I see what you mean. There is definitely more going on there than the normal sound of the cutoff. I will ship out the other unit to you today.

Thanks again,
Nathan"

Thanks God I can finally do some damn 303 lines without using Rebirth and then importing into Sonar. The ring mod on the Teebee cool too. I will buy a real 303 for the sake of nastalgia some day soon when I have a real job. But for now at least I will be able to pull it off and take it to shows. Can you export sequece Data from Rebirth as midi?

Message 28/39             31-Jul-01  @  09:40 PM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

Brett B

got the new one. It is flawless.No cutoff noise. This is great. and , Nathan at Jupiter Sound reimbursed my for the return shipping. what a guy.

Message 29/39             01-Aug-01  @  10:12 PM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

k

there ya go - told you it was weird

Message 30/39             02-Aug-01  @  03:47 AM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

Brett B

I turned the potentiometer up to increase the filter agresovness, and youccan hear very, and I mean very, sublte crackle. I think the other unit had a bad potentiometer, because when i tried to adjust it it made no change in the sound. this one works great. You can really hear the diferance in the character that turning that thing up makes. I have been overdriving it by cranking up the input knob on my mixer and running a limiter on that channel. Not analog distortion, but it sounds as good as rebirth. I am getting a bass micro-synth soon too. I can't wait to run this and some of my other stuff through that.

Message 31/39             03-Aug-01  @  12:20 PM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

OnAcid

The ringmodulator on the TeeBee is a real badass :-) Very nice for tranceriffs

Message 32/39             03-Aug-01  @  10:19 PM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

k

what about the audio In ??  

Message 33/39             05-Aug-01  @  04:18 AM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

8life8

yhea congrats u'll love it! only downside is that the unit doesn't respond to midi volume controle only velocity, not realy a problem unless u r running it from lets say a step sequencer like I am ..urrg .. also I seam to get stuck notes quite often, again not realy a big problem.. but it's scary to think of it in a live act .. but non the less the unit is smokeing ..

Message 34/39             05-Aug-01  @  09:09 AM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

Brett B

Are you using the controler 0 to do slides. The stuck notes could be from passing a controler 0 with a value of 1(on) and then you stop the sequencer before passing the controller 0 0(off). i noticed this with the demo riffs I downloaded. then after looking a the event list i realized what was going on. When on, the last note played will sustain infinitly.

Audio in? sure, I'll get to it. I have been playing riffs so much I forgot.......
I am trying to mimic all of my favorates and get a feel for it. Getting the note duration right is tricky. How many ticks at 960 should they be. I'll figure it out.

I wish it had an accent knob. One advantage to the Next\MAM, but that the only thing. On the MAM over 120 was accent on, under 100 was off, and the amount was that of the knob. Now you have to draw in your accent envelop increases in your sequencer, but very tedious.

I would like to get an tube screamer pedal for it.

Message 35/39             07-Aug-01  @  04:05 AM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

8life8

tube screamer pedal..now that's what I'm talking about   .. thnaks for the tip on the note sustain, u might b right on that one .. as for accent: velocity 127 or above 120 (dunno can't remeber) gives u accent so it's just as easy as with the mam units ..

Message 36/39             08-Aug-01  @  07:25 AM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

Brett B

just as easy to sequence, but the MAM Has an accent amount knob so you can dial it in . That way you make only one sequence loop with the accents in there then dial them in with the knob real time. I thought that was how the Next 4.4, and MAM worked.

Hey K, Filter in is smooth as hell. I am sending my DX100(no filter) through an aux to the Teebee. It filters very warm and smooth. Much more responce than i expected. no clipping, but it does the job of filtering my no filter DX synth.

Message 37/39             08-Aug-01  @  07:37 AM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

Brett B

you can have the ring modulation or the osc going with your sound as well. Interesting, and the filter adds harmonic distorion that really warms up the sounds and gives it punch. You can over drive the sound nicely by increasing the input level.My DX-100 haas never sounded this cool. Brett

Message 38/39             08-Aug-01  @  08:19 AM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

k

heh heh - hmm... the dx100 used by Derrik May had an oberheim filter bodged into it...

Message 39/39             10-Aug-01  @  06:45 PM   -   RE: trouble with my new syntechno

Brett B

I have "Strings of life" 12" from way back. do ya think that piano riff is on the DX-100? sounds like it.

Viewing all 39 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

There are 39 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)