aaa new sector movement(broken beats) - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: new sector movement(broken beats)

Viewing all 24 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/24             19-Jul-01  @  08:34 PM   -   new sector movement(broken beats)

ging

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

any one programming "broken beats" alar .new sector movement,afronault.type stuff.i dont have the luxury of sampling the beats or slowing um down (and counting)so any tips midi files ,patterns ect is much appricated.ging

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/24             20-Jul-01  @  04:00 AM   -   RE: new sector movement(broken beats)

BJT

Link?:  No link

Wot are broken beats and new sector movement?

Message 3/24             20-Jul-01  @  09:15 PM   -   RE: new sector movement(broken beats)

ging

blt you no when 2 step was new and you would you would explain it as uk garage,and people would think you ment ultra natre or... labels like easy street ny...so you tell um its a mixure of that (kind off)and d&b.this (broken beats)is a west london "thing"...the beats r off key,funky,intresting and nnnnnew skool.buy the album.artist...new sector movement ...title..download this.(then get back to me)

Message 4/24             21-Jul-01  @  04:19 AM   -   RE: new sector movement(broken beats)

k

there ya go - New Sector Movement - well... it's jazz to me done on drumbox's/samplers so it's trimmed down etc. Sorta like they are coming from old (especialy) George Duke, early Quincy Jones and stuff like that, (no pun intended, but 'Stuff Like That' by Quincy Jones is an excellent album for this sort of thing to get tips IF you can find it), Chick Corea, Wayne Shorter etc - also checkout Stevie Wonder in his 70's period & anything with Hiram Bullock playing on it also checkout Airto Moreira, and if you like this you'll LOVE that shit. The track 'The Sun' is PURE Stevie Wonder moves from an album like 'Music of my Mind' ..... also there is touches on latin beats in there.... 'Mek Movements' is pure latin guitar riff in 3 time...

But to tell you 'how' to programme beats like that?... that's tough because you cant realy TELL someone... you could copy them, but really you need to really know drums and preferably be a drummer... cos it's what I call 'Freeform'... not in the truest sense, cos there is still a beat in terms of regular bars, but in that there isnt a set repeating beat fixed so much, rather the drum programming is created by someone who has a good drum feel, and as I say, probably IS a drummer with cross skills... Alot of the patterns are resolving at 5/5/2 - 12345, 12345, 12 - or you could count it at 123,123,123,123,12 - count that in fast 16th's...

Not bad stuff, in fact i really like it... the key to all thse more complexed styles of programming is to learn about 3's and 5's & 7's... i always bang on and on and on and on about 3 time, but people always are so used to count in straight 4's...

IF you REALLY want to learn about this style od drums... i know it sounds crazy but trust me on this.. listen to Zappa too...

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/24             21-Jul-01  @  06:59 AM   -   RE: new sector movement(broken beats)

k

File?:  File

jazzy_drums_mixdown.mp3

here's a beat done in Logic with NI's Battery drum software, using their default kit, it's not exactly in the stylle but y'know, broken up and jazzy at least..

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/24             21-Jul-01  @  03:29 PM   -   RE: new sector movement(broken beats)

ging

yer k,i love all that acid jazz stuff...george duke(feel)..quincey jones(summer in the city),lonnie listen smith(expansions),jonny hammond(gears).....i started taken jazz piano lesson about a year ago because i love that sound(still long way to go)but i might start drumming or latin style pecussion just to get some sort of understanding of it aswell.

Message 7/24             21-Jul-01  @  10:13 PM   -   RE: new sector movement(broken beats)

k

what sequencer do you use?... i ask cos that Logic EVP88 electric piano is 100% the dogs for yer Duke piano work!!!... it'll be a VSTi soon (it might be already - trust me, with a low latency device it is SO playable... absolutely amazing! - i've nothing in hardware as good as that from korg or Kurzweil or Novation although they all have something good the EVP really is spot on!

Lonnie L smith is cool eh!.. brass contruction??.... heh heh.. I had my album ('brass contruction') nicked *sniff*... never got over that. *sob*

Message 8/24             22-Jul-01  @  07:15 PM   -   RE: new sector movement(broken beats)

ging

k,i see the the review is s.o.s (last month)it look good.the only gear i got at moment is rmx1 and a alesis keyboard...you can help me actually,im in the middle of chooseing some gear(the budget is 5000)what i want is a good quality weighted keyboard/synth..i have been looking at the roland xv88 and i am waiting to try their new stage piano rd700,although with the same budget i could get a pc with weighted keyboard and logic.also i want analogue modelling synth,not sure out of the novation supernova 2 or the virus.a sequencer (computer based or mpc2000xl)mixer,monitors ect. got any thoughts? because the more gear i see the more confused i get.(fat emu sampler)

Message 9/24             23-Jul-01  @  08:13 AM   -   RE: new sector movement(broken beats)

dave_outland

damn kilo, those beatz are awsome. Is there any way you can write the patterning for something like that using one of these graphs. Would you have to set your timing in 3's too though? I really love that off sound, even though it's soo on at the same time!

Message 10/24             23-Jul-01  @  07:04 PM   -   RE: new sector movement(broken beats)

k

it's done in 4/4 time mate...

ging mate... look at FATAR remote keyboards.

as for thr rest, well that's a very hard descision - if you want to do mostly midi stuff with a decent amount of fx & s/w synths, a decent pc is required which costs alot with a good asio card & the Logic s/w... so i dunno... you must decide if you like the RM1X and can work deep with it as required... and wether to go hardware or more towards a s/w system.

Message 11/24             24-Jul-01  @  10:48 AM   -   RE: new sector movement(broken beats)

BJT

I got to listen to "new sector movement" by sun, is it only out on 12"?
Is their a compilation, anyway, good groove.

K this 5/5/2 stuff, is this odd note groupings?
ie 5 notes played in the space of 4 sixteenth notes (one beat)
then another 5 notes the same, then 2 notes played in the
space of 4 sixteenths?
(Is this a 3/4 bar because 5+5+2=12).

OR

do you mean put the accent on the first sixteenth, count 4 sixteenths,
put the accent on the next sixteenth, count 4 again, put an accent,
count 1, start again?

I think it's the former, but for clarification..cheers,

Message 12/24             24-Jul-01  @  05:30 PM   -   RE: new sector movement(broken beats)

k

count 5 sixteenths, then 5 more, then 2 which = 3 bars of 4... it's hard to describe, it's just what i hear when i listen to it. it's not 5 time tho - working in 5 time is quite a good excercise actualy & working in 7 time.

Message 13/24             24-Jul-01  @  09:30 PM   -   RE: new sector movement(broken beats)

Guards of Magog

File?:  [image]

[image file]

Is like this maybe something you're speaking of. Although this is using triplets to count the 5/5/2 and fit the 4/4 time. We can't put triplets in the little grid boxes, so that is why we screen shot this rhythm. The C1 is the kick, E is snare and F# hihat. The redder is something more velocity it has, bluer is less.

Message 14/24             24-Jul-01  @  09:32 PM   -   RE: new sector movement(broken beats)

Guards of Magog

File?:  File

552_loop.mid

And here is a midi file of what that picture is.

Farewell.

GoM

Message 15/24             24-Jul-01  @  10:29 PM   -   RE: new sector movement(broken beats)

k

hurrah!  

Message 16/24             10-Aug-01  @  09:55 PM   -   RE: new sector movement(broken beats)

noah

people interested in unusual funky drumming should definitely check out Tony Williams' drumming on Miles Davis' "Filles de Kilimanjaro." I believe that's misspelled. One of the best albums ever, and the opening cut is monsterously funky, albeit it a more subtle way than most electronic stuff.--noah

Message 17/24             11-Aug-01  @  08:15 PM   -   RE: new sector movement(broken beats)

Pongoid

Broken beatz? Y'all got no clue. Check out New Skin. or check out.

http://www.c8.com

Message 18/24             12-Aug-01  @  06:42 PM   -   RE: new sector movement(broken beats)

k

yeah...... i've a few days to kill fucking around on the web playing with flash crap animations with no clue as yto wether there's anything to listen to at the end of it all - ha ha.. NOT!

Message 19/24             27-Oct-01  @  01:31 AM   -   RE: new sector movement(broken beats)

k

bump

Message 20/24             27-Oct-01  @  01:35 AM     Edit: 27-Oct-01  |  01:37 AM   -   RE: new sector movement(broken beats)

k

there's some recent nice similar music.. good album in that genre.. 'Nu Yorikan Soul'

oh!, the basic kik, snare, hat samples from that track are in the samples/files section

Message 21/24             27-Oct-01  @  10:36 AM   -   RE: new sector movement(broken beats)

xoxos

making meself a d/l link  

Message 22/24             27-Oct-01  @  11:08 AM   -   RE: new sector movement(broken beats)

xoxos

nice illuminatory creepy vibe on your stuff k..

not like i'm a percussive maven or anything, but the feel i thinky ou're on about makes me think of jajouka, or just being in a boat.. (if my claps don't sound like water slapping on the side of a rowboat, they don't get put down) the melodies i come up with more when i'm away from my gear (in-head and more w/ lyrics, so a certain amount of following reference in the words) often have non-'square' patterns, ie. the main verse might be 14 measures long and for the usual 15/16th measure part, goes into a riff that's repeated 3 times for a 6 measure part, then dip into a 2 measure transition to the next bit.. for a 22 measure "verse." all fitting together very smoothly and naturally.

it's like erasure's 'always' has a 17 beat verse but you don't think "17" when you hear it because it's carried by melodic phrasing.. squeezes in the extra "harmony, oh love" bit and it feels right, in a totally pop context.

..and similarly, if you're pounding away on your knees with your fingers off waiting somewhere, i find i'll easily switch between different "licks" that have the same tempo but all add up as completely non-square amounts. just have to stop putting it all in a 'square is neat' box.

yeah.. jajouka emphasises switching between different length repetitions very well. probably some audio on a william s. burroughs fanpage somewhere.

Message 23/24             29-Oct-01  @  01:24 AM   -   RE: new sector movement(broken beats)

Pongoid

Although interesting observations, that doesn't sound like broken beat philosophy. I'm pretty tight with a few musicians composing broken beat stuff, and most of what I've encountered involves LOTS of breaks, polyrythmic composition, very strong sub-bass, punchy mid-type kicks, extememly complex rythm sequencing, venturing into the jazz realm, pretty minimal on repetition. Folks to check out in that vein would be people along the lines of Venetian Snares, Christoff Frangelli, DJ Anyeurism, any one of Dan Hecate's multiple pseudonymns, some of the records on Infra-bass, and more names that escape me at the moment. I just did a broken beat track myself actually, as an experiment. It should be up in the next few days on my DL site. Check the link. The track is called The Next Attempt.

Ape

Message 24/24             13-Nov-01  @  11:02 PM   -   RE: new sector movement(broken beats)

influx

Link?:  Link

ok, now I get it. simple breakbeat wasnt good enough, eh? yet another subgenre? gotta admit its pretty funny

Id like to hear some of this. will start lookin

Viewing all 24 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 24 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)