aaa Hardware seq/sampler for drum prog? - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Hardware seq/sampler for drum prog?

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             12-Aug-01  @  05:07 PM   -   Hardware seq/sampler for drum prog?

Chris

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hello, i a want to get a hardware Sequencer to program my drums/tracks with. I'm not sure what to get cause i don't have any of the classic gear with the old time step sequencers in them. I have an a4k sampler a virus and a Q rack. these are the pieces i would like to run and i would like to use Acid to record my loops/tracks into. I would like to have the Sequencer as master and really run all initial programming from there. Can anyone tell me the best route to go? I am doing Techno. I was thinking of useing an mpc but i was not sure which one to get; 2000, 2000xl, 3000. If anyone could tell me which one of these to get and why i would greatly appreciate it. I was told by one guy that the 2000xl is the best one because the way to edit the sequencer patterns is the easiest and still quite effective. However i have a friend who offered to sell me his 2000. Not sure if i would be better off with the XL or just a 3000. How bout the jomox seq.? Can that program synths and send clock as well??? Any other ideas in which i'm not thinking of are more than welcome. Please help this confused person. = ) thanks Chris

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             12-Aug-01  @  06:39 PM   -   RE: Hardware seq/sampler for drum prog?

k

Link?: Link

well you just need a sequencer, so and MPC is rtether overkill - look at SQ series, MC500 series, yammy QX series, alesis MMT8 etc... all good sequencers.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/8             12-Aug-01  @  07:01 PM   -   RE: Hardware seq/sampler for drum prog?

steve

Link?: Link

you can pick up the akai asq10 fairly cheaply which is basically an mpc60 without the internal sampler and drum pads but to be honest, without the linn os update (another $200) its not all that and beginning to show its age. An mpc would definately be overkill and would mean just wasting money that`d be better spent on other stuff, so all the sequencers k mentioned and also the yamaha rm1x which gives you some more midi controller knobs to play with (maps directly to the knobs on your sampler) and even does x0x style sequencing which would be the one for techno.

Message 4/8             12-Aug-01  @  09:40 PM   -   RE: Hardware seq/sampler for drum prog?

Chris

Now i'm getting somewhere. I'm thinking that i like the idea of the 16 step sequencer style which is making me lean towards the rm1x. I'm assuming it has this capability. I own a yami a4k sampler however and found the manual to be a dog, is this rm1x gonna be a 2 month project to get to work? Any feedback on this rm1x, the good, the bad and the ugly, would be greatly appreciated. Does it send MTC? Chris

Message 5/8             17-Aug-01  @  04:47 AM   -   RE: Hardware seq/sampler for drum prog?

BJT

Your A4000 and RM1x should be compatible interms of
the 3 yamah Midi FX parameters (Choruse,Reverb,Other),
so that's a bonus, a few shortfalls with the RM1x:

1) The copy track/section etc.., commands actually just replace
the tracks with the same phrase, eg copying track 10 to track 11
just puts the same "phrase" in track11 as in track10, so editing track11
affect's track10. Same goes with sections, so you have to then
copy the "phrase" in track 10 to a new phrase and apply the phrase
to track 11, which means you have to keep note of phrases number's
etc.., and it becomes tedious.
2) In "Grid" record mode, it doesn't play the other Midi channels.
3) When you overdub a phrase, you can't jump to say bar 2 or bar 4,
you have to start at bar 1, but when you play back a phrase, there's an option
to start at bar 2 or 4 or whatever, why offer one and not the other, dunno,
this oversight bugs me because if I want to add swing to bar 2 only, I have
to then split the phrase into two then overdub the second part.

These are three oversights that sh*t me about the RM1x, oh and yeah
you can't create new beats whilst playing other beats, so this limits
it a bit for live stuff (where as the electribes allow you to do this).
Also when you switch between "songs" and stuff, there's a bit of latency
whilst the box reassign's the voices, this sh*ts alot of live performers.

But there are plenty of good things about the box - never crashes.
Heaps of knob's, turn's on quickly, "sort of" intuitive in a crazy way.
Something like 480ppq, timing is good unless it get's overloaded by
midi data then it gets out of time.

Plus a little known feature is that you can re-assign the midichannels
so they overlap, ie track1,2,3, etc, can then both go out midi-channel1.
This is actually quite handy.

Message 6/8             23-Aug-01  @  02:36 PM   -   RE: Hardware seq/sampler for drum prog?

Chris

Excellent info! Unfortunately I don't like the sound of those shortcomings. I would have wanted this box to become a live performance tool and it just does not seem to be a good Piece for that. I was going to ask ya if you know anything about the SU700 but if they made those kinda mistakes with the rm1x I could not imagine it to be to good either. I did notice how you said you could make new rhythms while playing with the Korg, what do you think of their sequencing capabilities? Shortcomings of this box? How do they fair for live application? Do they record all CC's. Also which Korg would you say you like the best and why? I certainly like their reasonable pricing. I saw Punisher use one several weeks ago here in Brooklyn. It was the only piece of kit she used. She used that to play her tracks and mixed in records in between. I'm assuming there is a way to control the bpms of the korg manually?

Message 7/8             23-Aug-01  @  07:14 PM   -   RE: Hardware seq/sampler for drum prog?

0/d

Link?:  Link

Mate those are not shortcomings,they are just things to work around,when you learn and know how to use the thing these problems are irrelevant,I'd hate for someone not to buy the rm1x on the basis of that.I can't go into detail about my opinions of the box now(I'm on my break),but in short I love it,it has a few little problems that annoy me sometimes,but so does everything....

Message 8/8             26-Aug-01  @  08:55 AM   -   RE: Hardware seq/sampler for drum prog?

BJT

Chris:

Sorry man O/d's right, the info I gave was critical.

I didn't list the good points to the box because there are many.

Actually the box is VERY GOOD for live stuff, and alot of live
producers use the RM1x and swear by it.
It's rock solid, doesn't crash,you can mute and unmute part's,
live knob tweaking, add midi-delay, add swing, move section's foward/back 1/2 beat,
lots of stuff.

And in the studio the Rm1x also tends to become an important tool for
getting ideas for tracks: its quick to jot down a beat, add a baseline, etc...

BTW: The RM1x does record all CC's! coming in and going out, it records and plays all midi data.

But it has quirks, so does every other box, ie the MPC crashes like crazy and
the internal filter's can't be controlled by midi, etc..., but
again heaps of people swear by that box too!

I didn't mean to dissuade you from buying what really is a great unit.

I'd try lending one, out, hook it up to your a4000, and see how it works, you may
just find they work together really well, (using the same Midi-XG parameters)
in which case, even given with these (relatively minor) problems I listed, you will
probably end up cherishing it!

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)