aaa New soundset for the NOVA ???? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: New soundset for the NOVA ????

Viewing all 30 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/30             13-Aug-01  @  07:07 PM   -   New soundset for the NOVA ????

system85

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

The "total.mid"-file,
coming up with the new OS,
is not a new soundset
just some new sounds are added to the old,
maybe some are optimized for the new OS...

I don´t know why other companies like
Access are able to produce really cool
Banks for their new OS
(the Cosmic Dancer Set is fantastic),
but after so a long time no really
new soundset was made by Novation...

The support of Novation is far away
from Access or Waldorf.
Its hard to say but its true.
I know your arguments, "make your own sounds"
and bla bla,
but I have no time for this kind of work,
I need some more banks with different sounds,
which I finally rework for the song,
but I like to be inspired by new sounds.

Maybe someone can give me some more sounds,
I have not a lot to trade,
but I would be happy if you can give me some more.
Best regards,
bene

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/30             13-Aug-01  @  11:24 PM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

omen_omen

Link?:  No link

Have yo tried the supernova groups at yarhoo groups

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/supernova/files/Union%20Makes%20Force

You will need to set up an account (free). once you have joined yo have acess to patches that have been posted by other users (there are lots).

Jamie

Message 3/30             15-Aug-01  @  12:44 AM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

k

well, I listened to your tracks (a few) and really HONESTLY... now dont get pissy...cos you might not like this, but....

i think you need to look at a bit of 'originality' in your music which would make WAY WAY more of an improvement than looking for new presets... the point being, that you can add as many new presets as you like to those tunes of yours and they will still be boring generic euro-trance clones, the same as every other 'home trance' mp3 composer is doing that you find on the www.

No-one listens anymore since two years at least to this sound, even when it was done with integrity & originality. The music scene has moved on since then & this is now a totaly dead style of music from the past which no-one plays now except on TV for 'TV-Link Football Trailer' backing music underneath announcements about forthcoming new programmes on un-hop TV sattelite channels, in fact even that is now not being used for this purpose - Sorry but that's a fact mate! I've heard it all before till i'm tired to death to hear this stuff one more time... it's years since this style was bubbling as a valid original style when done properly -

Every track of yours goes: d-d-da, d-d-da, d-d-da over and over & over - the exact same timing, the exact same patterns, just different keys & scales - It's pure toothache music without any soul, originality or intelligence with a few flashy production joins chucked in to try to make it interesting. It sounds like you made a bunch of 'joins' then flung some music in between those to make a tune.

You CAN do so much BETTER if you think about what YOU do - what is inside YOu as an original vibe & ideas?? - not trying to copy something which didnt sound like that in the first place even when it WAS in vogue.

You might think that's insulting, you might be angry to hear this even, but trust me it's good advice, and no more insulting than your comments about novation -

That is NOT Trance music mate what you are doing, really it's not... you'd have to take ALOT of drugs & have gone to ALOT of trance raves down thru the years to understand that. You play that stuff to a trance crowd & they'd walk off the dancefloor trust me - it is too strident, has no subtlety or 'journey' or evolvement, it is just banging tooth-ache music for provincial town pissed up boot-boy disco punters to act agressive to on the dance foor before they go out of the club and look for a fight on the way home.

really, look for what is inside YOU and make some original cool music with a groove cos that sounds like Waffen SS Nazi marching music to me  

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/30             15-Aug-01  @  01:40 AM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

Bazziman

wow, that's harsh but honoust.

Message 5/30             15-Aug-01  @  02:00 AM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

satori

Link?:  Link

Wow k.

You are very brave man!
These comments are very strong and... I think I fully agree with you. I do have a similar opinion about these rhythms and tunes, calling them 3 chords wonders. Why wonders? Because I wonder why is is still played! ;-P I bet the most of them are made in Fruity Loops and record companies are flooded lately with this stuff.
Once a good friend gave me 5 trance CD’s to listen to and I endured up to second CD.
I knew roughly what was on the rest of it.

Bash me!
http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=1479
Make public comments here if you do wish so.
And... tell me what I still do need to get better.
Direct me somewhere, point to the music I should listen to.

I got Brian Transeau double CD, "Movement In Still Life" and I do like some of Brian stuff, especially his synths programming etc, but... not enough music for me.

I would appreciate a lot your comments...

BTW. It does not mean I do like and I do support EVERY line of your comment.;-D

Message 6/30             15-Aug-01  @  03:05 AM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

omen_omen

Fuck me thats a bit harsh - each to there own. I didn't realize there was so much snobbery in music!!

I infact don't like trance that much - but i respect what other people do, no matter what level their at.

Jamie

P.S
I do agree with criticism, but its got to be constructive.

Message 7/30             15-Aug-01  @  09:29 AM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

Bazziman

I listened to some of this guys work myself and it
's not even that bad... decent but very unoriginal.. I can picture this guy sitting behind his mixer and synths trying to figure out what shit 16-year olds are buying these days and trying to recreate just that sound... I guess this stuff would sell pretty good in countries like Belgium where they have like a zillion live-act playing this crap.... you know one guy behind a keyboard... one girl 'singing' wrapped in sexy cellophane with either 2 blondes dancing in the back or two black blokes...or some variation on that theme... it's on the telly every fahkin' day so I know what i'm talking about...

Message 8/30             15-Aug-01  @  10:04 AM     Edit: 15-Aug-01  |  10:20 AM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

k

yeah well, you get what you give. I was just illustrating a point.

Jamie, snobbery has nothing to do with it - are we musicians or people who press buttons?... do we use electronic gear to make MUSIC ?... i can appreciate ANY original music, no matter what the ability of the creator, but that isnt 'music' to me... and it doesnt represent anything of the mind or ideas or soul of the person who made it as far as I'm concerned.

I've been listening and raving to trance for years, and it royaly fucks me off to see stuff like that now ruining the reputation of a fine creative genre which used to turn out some of the most original well crafted exciting music around.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 9/30             15-Aug-01  @  12:35 PM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

omen_omen

Fair enough, i see your point. I often compare making music to painting, lots of people
like to paint but many are not that good. But unless you put your own personal touch to
the picture, it might well be painting by numbers (music by pushing buttons).

I have also been raving since i was 15 ( 1990) and even before i was old enough to go
to raves that i liked acid house. I remember the time when you couldn't by any sort of
dance music in the record shop,good or bad, and now its full of chart dance crap.

The point i was trying to make, is even if you do paint by numbers you are still having
fun and channelling your energy into something constructive, and from this you
progress into new areas start to have ideas of you own. Add this to some constructive
criticism and before you know it, you are on your way.

Jamie

Message 10/30             15-Aug-01  @  10:12 PM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

Stefan

Hey K,

maybe Bene likes his music.

Message 11/30             16-Aug-01  @  07:37 PM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

system85

Hmmm k,
really nice that you spend so much time
to analyse my musician abilities.

Maybe you have realized that I dont
do underground club music,
and I havent raved since 1990,
maybe I haver never really raved.

I dont know what you do,
but I present my music since last september
at mp3.de where I am (was) very successful,
in 3 weeks I´m for the first time on a Maxi with a remix.

Now I concentrate to do my own first release,
and I think every sound you have heard before
in 1000 Tracks;)

Just a ing mp3-musician ;)

cu
bene

Message 12/30             17-Aug-01  @  02:14 AM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

k

hey - I DID spend time, that's the whole point. - ok i wrote this last night and didn't post it, but now i'll post it so you can see my point of view mebbe better - ... obviously you CAN use the gear... so this is what i think:

hey, each to his own, it's only my opinion for gods sake not the law - some people might love it which is fair enuff. - my comments is just cos he comes having a go at novation wholesale as a company cos they aint delivering him 'painting by numbers new sounds' to use... and that after months and months & months of this forum being used by people for just bandwaggon bashing novation it seems to me to be too much... next, it'll be the fucking COLOUR of the synths people are complaining...

so anyways, i listen to what he's doing cos after all he claims he is let down by a company NOT providing him with sounds and let down badly enuff to say the company is bad... so i want to know whats going on with his music that 'new sounds' will fix... So I listened, and i hear as i say something which is not of the creator imo - like a guy using other people's sounds, and other people's generic music ideas from a recent past era, but badly -

NOT badly as in terms of 'talent', that I can tolerate & I know the difference & would NOT have a go at someone who is learning/a begginer & genuinely trying to be creative - But this is different... as in, no attempt has been made to 'create'... simply to make a marketable mp3.com commodity instead by copying an old genre he doesnt seem to understand too well.

Look, remember it is now two years since the www and these types of sites were invaded by this mainstream 'trance' invasion of a mass of people wanting to make 'trance' cos it was popular in that format the previous summer in Ibiza.. that is all finished now, dead and buried I promise you. two years before that it's an 'MC303 owners and their acid' invasion.. and a wave of wanna-be prodigy breakbeat makers... and each time it killed the genre stone dead as trance has been killed now by the same thing, (not underground trance)

so in this case as in all those cases, I ask myself.. for what?.. whats the point of it? - and i think in this case as in all those cases past & present, he'd be better off NOT making that stuff but to get back to basic's & learn the genre properly so he can create something relevent & contemporary -

he says 'i have no time' - well he has time to make these tracks & spend ages creating fancy edits/breaks between track sections... so whats the 'no time' ?? - what?.. no time to be creative and make your own music?... i think it's not being honest in any respect that's all, & to then blame this on Novation is a bit shitty because really it is not their remit or the remit of the product to make a: '1001 trance home users' synth... They created a fine synth with excellent fast & intuitive editing for creation of sounds in an analog or otherwise genre - and after all, synths; any synths, make only a certain amount of generic 'starter' sounds based on building blocks of the options available in a 3osc synth, the rest are variations on those theme's... ALL the possible permeatations are already there as presets to build on.. they cant really add MORE sounds without them being nothing more than 'tweaks' of the prime sound types already available, no matter how good they are...

so imo he's asking really for other peoples 'creativity' for free to fuel his own ambitions to 'be a musician', which to me is the same as stealing ideas UNLESS YOU PAY - if he buys 3rd party soundsets, FINE.. cos someone is being PAID for their time & creativity... i think therefore, imo, that is unfair then to criticise the product company for not doing so as they have already provided every possible building block starter permeatation sound type (hundreds of them) from which one can edit a unique variation with little effort... after all lets face it, a synth might have 400 presets, but 200 of those are mebbe just a chorus tweaked or envelope tweaked variation on a starter sound in bank_1 etc - so how lazy can you be to not make the merest alterations yourself to suit the track?... and thats the other thing...

synth sounds in dance... people have this idea that 'syth sounds' should be some sort of 'piano' type identifiable sound which again aint so... blips, bangs, squeeks & buzz's and other non identifiable sounds are the building blocks of dance music, because DANCE is about RHYTHMS and the sounds MUST compliment the rhythm FIRST ABOVE ANYTHING...

What it is NOT about, is quasi-european classical music movements played at gallop-speed quadruple-time on strident, dominating analog synths with block-square timing over a repetitive tedious square beat broken up by produced drum rolls & cymbal crescendo's... thats just not what it is about..

but as i say again... it's just an opinion, mebbe too harsh   ... but i think it is unfair to attack a company/product, (any product), when you are obviously not the slightest bit interested in the ability of their product for how one should use it & the whole point of why it was created...

anyways, he can sell it and buy a virus, and join the ranks of virus preset bland trance makers -

That is NOT having a go at Virus though, it is a VERY fine synth when in the hands of someone who creates something original with it.. but y'know.. like rebirth trance.. millions of trance tracks on the www, all with the same sounds, the same square boring rhythms... with no cross patterns, no other time signatures in cross patterns, nothing but: bash bash bash on the beat on the beat...

that is NOT trance ! - it is more like hard house, except hard house has style & humour and 'happy' & a cool offbeat bass too amongst other parts also driving offbeats to break up the banging beat which underpins it all... techno again thrives on cross rhythms as does garage and every other genre..... dance music isnt supposed to be this all-on-the-same-beat stuff.. it is a woven story of cross rhythms and motif's to take you on a journey or just to get you moving like mad, but it is woven...

why is it called TRANCE???.. does anyone ask themselves this even??.. is a 'trance' state bashed into someones skull with a sledgehammer?... or is it rather 'induced', so they are led into it, bit by bit, deeper and deeper, so that they suddenly unconciously find themselves in this place without knowing how they got there but they are in it deep, and it then takes them around inside this place at varying depths showing them the majesty of the various parts of the inside of the temple.... what we have as the alternative is just like sex without foreplay - "drop your knickers love and take that!".. bang bang bang....

Look, I make music, and for a long time.. and really truly, it's ludicrous for anyone to suggest that ANY make of synth on the market is responsible somehow for your ability or otherwise to make good music - it's a total myth! - the Nova series will make ANY genre of music.. and thats that... so will many other synths.. all it requires is genuine motivation on the part of the user....

Now, all I'm saying is really, nothing preset-wise is going to make his music 'better'... what he needs to do is learn the genre, the subtleties of that genre and that'll serve him FAR better than seeking presets in terms of making his music something people WANT to buy or dance to... but sure, if you like it fair enuff, but sometimes as the remit of this site, i gotta say these things, he just happened to be the unlucky example because really, if you are going to come and use the forum to just pop in, bash the company/product, then just dissapear again fine.... but take some equal criticism back in return mebbe and see what it is like to be on the receiving end of what you give out ... It's not personal, and all the more NOT personal cos there's NOTHING 'personal' about that music at all as far as I can see... it could be anyone making it cos there is thousands of tracks out there exactly the same, indistinguishable from one another.

Message 13/30             17-Aug-01  @  11:37 AM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

system85

Hi k,
all in all it is right that the best way would be to sell
the Nova and to buy a Waldorf Q instead...
for my way of making music.

I´m inspired by presets, and it is ok for me,
remeber what I said in my first posting :

"I know your arguments, "make your own sounds" and bla bla, but I have no time for this kind of work, I need some more banks with different sounds, which I finally rework for the song, but I like to be inspired by new sounds."

That was the point, and this is the reason why
the Nova is not so good for me like the Access Virus, where you can download a lot of cool Banks, where the new OS 4.0 comes up with 2 completely new Banks (C+D).
And it is possible to get soundstuff from 3rd companies.
This all is not possible with the Nova,
there are no free banks,
there is a new OS with "optimized" sounds but just 10 new ones,
there are no 3rd companies producing sounds for a cool synth.

The Nova has cool features, that was the reason for me to buy it,
but it is more than 2 years ago (first I had the Supernova)...
But the sound is getting more and more boring,
especially with no new sounds,
and I think I will sell it the next month,
although I know I could use it when the politic of Novation would be different.
But I think they have not enough money (or another reason, I dont know)
to let someone do some cool banks,
and lazy people like me dont get happy
for a longer time.
I dont want to attack the company, but I think it was the last synth I bought from Novation, that´s all.
In fact I´m doing Pop-Music with Trance/Techno-Elements, but I´m not making a new Style,
for me its more important to produce a cool pop-song,
maybe the songs are boring for you,
but I´m more at Modern Talking or Scooter than at Mjik van Dyk,
so "each to there own" like Jamie said;)

Best Regards,
bene

Message 14/30             17-Aug-01  @  12:54 PM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

omen_omen

Hi bene,

This is not a knock at you music, its to do with the sound creation side. I not trying
to offend just to give you some pointers

You should have a go at making your own sounds, believe me, its so much fun. I
spend more time making sounds than music, i love it. If you make your own sounds
you are one step into creating a personal touch. I still use other peoples patches but i
try to add some of the ones that i have created to a track I agree the pre-sets are
boring, but as K said these are to show what the synth can do to a perspective
customer, i.e., look it can do bell sounds, bass sounds, sfx sounds etc. The whole
ethos of the nova/supernova is to make your own sounds, that's why there is so
many knobs on the front. If you want pre-sets then you should have bought a sound
module rather than a synth. I think the reason that novation haven't produced loads
of sound sets, is the fact that the synth is so easy to program.

If you spend 2 hours understanding what each of the various areas on the synth do,
then you will have all the tools in you head to construct the sounds that you want. Try
this link, is was excellent for me when i first started trying to understand what was
going on:

http://tyala.freeyellow.com/t2ansynt.htm

I still use it now!

It seems a shame that you have a wonderful piece of equipment sitting there no being
used for the job it was intended for.

Please don't sell your synth, because one day you will want to program your own
sounds and look back and wish you still had your nova.

I find on this forum, the egroups forum and in life in general, people are a lot more
friendly and willing to help if you have first made and attempt at something yourself.
When i first read the post from K i thought it was a bit rude, but i now understand
what he getting at and respect his views.

If you need any help please post messages, i am not an expert by far, but i will try to
help, i am sure some will be able to help. I do have some sound creation tutorials
somewhere if you want me to post them to you.

Good luck - Jamie

Message 15/30             17-Aug-01  @  08:17 PM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

Pepe

System85. Keep up the good work. I compared it to other links here and it´s real good. A lot of people today work the same way you do. You take a preset and tweak it. It does take a long time to start from scratch with every sound and many of us work under a deadline. Especially when remixing. And Satori, Improve your own music before you critisize others.

Message 16/30             18-Aug-01  @  01:52 AM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

satori

Pepe
". And Satori, Improve your own music before you criticize others."

Firstly:

Question: Who was criticized by me? ;-P

Secondly:

As omen has said:
"I do agree with criticism, but its got to be constructive."

Don't tell me BS. Tell me what I should improve.
It is obvious, that you are talking about music! ;-P

Or… give me link to your music, I’ll criticize, constructively.

I’m not hiding! ;-P

Message 17/30             18-Aug-01  @  09:19 AM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

blacktrax

K, as far as I remember you never made comments about the partly dilettantic musical attempts like e.g. mine in this forum.
It's astonishing that Benes - at least from the technical point of view more advanced tracks - seem to make you really nervous because they tend into a kind of commercial corner ;-)

Most people who make music copy a style, only a few are able to develop new impulses.

Most people who listen to music listen to styles they are used to and that they rerecognize, only a few have the patience and ability to pay tribute to new musical developments.

There are people like me who enjoy to MAKE music and sounds but are not very much interested in the result. Others make their music on condition that as many people as possible shall listen to it.

I'm not sure if it makes sense to judge about the different interests of making music.

In terms of Benes criticism of Novation:
I feal that synth manufacturers have to get used to their customers impatience in the future and they have to react to survive.
I once read that 98% of synthesizers that are sent in for a repair contain exclusively factory sounds.

Novation should for my opinion examine, if the presence of prefabricated soundsets might as well be a factor for their commercial success.
This may be sad for purists, but an economical need.

Regards

Stefan

Message 18/30             19-Aug-01  @  08:44 PM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

Bastiaan (Hajee)

That is a very interesting point...that should also be beneficial for both preset junkies and puritists alike...

since I believe creativity is never something done totally solo but rather a symbiosis of the works of others and past experiences...by this I mean that not only will good presets inspire users to be even more creative also will more users (due to better marketing) of a certain synth spawn better sounds due to symbioisi, influencing and 'competition'...that's partly why many good artists in certain timeframes come from the same region (italy during the renaicance, france in the 9th century) because people inspire eachother and challenge eachother to strive for even more artistry...

Even preset users can turn in to talented soundshapers once they realise that using just presets will most likely result in them sounding like everybody else...

I'm probably a bit vague sounding...and for the record: I certainly dont think that 85's music was a piece of art or a landmark in musical history.

I would stil love some extra soundbounks for my nova, to learn from, to inspire me even more, to have fun with and even (shame on me) to use in stuff I create...why not?

Message 19/30             20-Aug-01  @  05:39 PM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

k

Like I said, it's only my opinion, you are free also to not like my music for sure. But i DONT agree I'm saying anything here because 'it's commercial' - I dont find that stuff of bene's commercial AT ALL - and i like alot of commercial music if it's well crafted and doesnt take itself too seriously. I dont recall listening to your tunes Stephan... but my comments has nothing to do with 'commerciality' that's for sure it's about lack of integrity of the structure of the music.

i dont think Bene's composition enhances a 'pop commercial' element as much as it could if some time was spent on the composition and sounds because to me it has no definition to seperate it from the thousands of other 'trance' tracks on the www. How can you have a trance track being 'pop' ??... it just doesn't go together.

If you mean commercial trance then my comments stand cos it's not got enuff character to stand out as a commercial track imo due it's generic sounds & composition/structure. With so many Trance clones out there you need more production subtlety & character to stand out & definately stronger hooks & more production of the linear progress with a production leaning towards emphasising those hooks as chorus points which stand out as high points. -

On the track 'Voice of trance' - well the start is like someone cut the disk in somwhere around the two minute mark after a main build point it's just 'one two three, bang !! & in we go' full on.... there is no establishing of any sort of atmosphere, the song is over before you've even got into it, he just gives it all away immeadiatly and everything after that is just repetition of what youve already heard there is nothing to look forward to or anticipate, it's like sex which is just all on the same level - 'bang bang bang' endlessly becomes VERY boring (Just ask your girlfreind  ... The track has no high points & no low points, and after you hear it there is nothing much to remember cos everything is at the same functional level from the first intro & therefore there is no 'hook' at all.

So to me it has no coherent structure at all which is conducive to the genre of 'pop' or commercial trance if a trance track with a vocal is 'commercial trance' that is. I dont hear any 'pop' music in there at all in the sense of what 'pop' production is in terms of it's 'laws' or techniques yet is has all the cheezy pop elements cobbled together which drag it down as a serious bit of music.

If it's pop then produce it like pop so there is a structure & people remember the hooks & motif's - But you cant swamp the listener immeadiatly with a full-on blast of characterless full-on banging then expect them to remember anything after that if it's all just banging away endlessly from the word go -

However, if it's 'trance', then what i'd like to hear more is some trance things happening, which to me means alternative time signature based patterns & cross-rhythm grooves appearing and worming their way gradualy into your conciousness before becoming dominant themes after some movement to bring them to the fore and drop others to the back etc, builds working to explosive hooklines etc. generaly i'd like to hear sounds created/tweaked to fit the music and create vital interesting parts. the whole point of trance when you are tripping and dancing to it is that it contains many levels/rhythms and you can choose which rhythm to dance to, or allocate your different body parts to move to different patterns within the music all at the same time. But this track is just 'all in', plays, then stops..

Message 20/30             20-Aug-01  @  05:48 PM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

k

(just to add) - "But the sound is getting more and more boring" - thats what you say Bene, and I agree.. and I didnt even hear your stuff before. - BUT I think that is you (mebbe) saying to yourself that YOU are bored with what YOU are producing - mebbe it's time to move to another level then??... cos i dont know if adding a waldorf with some new presets will keep you interested that long. I'm not saying DONT change synth, but i dont think that alone will be enuff somehow.

Message 21/30             10-Sep-01  @  01:35 AM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

Rikard

K, i would really like to hear some of your music. Not because i wanna critisize you. But u seem to understand the true meaning of trance. I love to dance and trip to real psycho goa trance, and i also try to make it myself. Please let us hear ure work. I have just bougth my Nova and im very intressted in hearing some real hi quality trance made with the synth.
/Rikard

Message 22/30             10-Sep-01  @  09:19 PM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

k

i dont make trance mate... so there's nowt to hear unless I made a trance track specialy for you   - I just coming from 'trance' as what it is & it's history too as a punter, and cant see ANY connection between this banging repetitive aggresive strident stuff and the name 'trance' it's like a complete misnomer to me as what some NOW call Trance has not a shred of elements that made 'Trance' be called 'Trance' in the first place -

I found a old Solar Quest tape today, acid trance ambient vibe sorta around the time when trance was getting in step - it kinda took me back to the emphasis of what I understand trance to be, and those early foundations haven't changed much cos 'Trance is Trance' you can't bung up the tempo, change the whole style, take away the whole quality & vibe, adding banging totaly '4 on the floor' drums which have more in common with hardcore or hardhouse than even hard-trance and still call it 'trance' that's rediculous to me.

and the patterns now in so-called 'trance' - ha!... they are crap so often cos they are so square on the beat - they have been shunted into second place to fit with the bog-standard composition style which is NOT trance - the whole point of trance was it evolved out of hardware arpeggiators onboard synths and was about patterns being sync'd out of their context which DID result in that genre's quirky trancey moves and sounds & offbeat mind-twisting patterns... but the stuff now is just sequenced 'as-is' in the box along with the rest of the track all in the same time signature and on the same starting beat etc more like a classical composition where the sole relationships are mostly rather un-original basic harmonic relationships, and it takes away trance's other signature - a constant key with things moving around it with harmonic & timing 'relationships'... not the same at all to my ears. Also, the Drums - trance was tribal and embraced all that as well as european tribal & celtic beats etc - drums are also emphasised and one can dance alternating to tracks which emphasised mebbe on one the synth parts, then the set would drop down and you'd be off on a journey to some evolving drum track which would build & build and eventualy lead you into a new synth part peak and a new groove etc - now what people call 'trance' has got not one shred of that at all -

as far as this discussion on sounds, I cant see it, cos trance requires not a huge width of pallette of sounds imo, it's about the way it is put together i think. People bang on about VA's all the time like they are the be-all & end-all to it, but i'd rather have a k2000 to make trance to be frank if I had to choose one synth, NOT a VA at all... i'd add a VA second and use Rebirth for anything like 'slided 303 sound' parts etc.....

To me what 'that' other style is, is synth-pop, that HAPPENS to have borrowed it's cliche's from the last three years club music, but why call it 'trance' ? - anyways, it sounds probably 'old farty' and i do/did aknowledge the new 'trance' style of course, but the difference between a good track in that genre and the mass of 'trying hard but dont really know what I'm coming from' tracks
is huge... anyways - it's history now cos that's all done & gone and things has moved on - i just think that even THAT type of trance is done right still has 'trance' in it and most of the stuff on the www & the commercial european stations doesn't. - We need a new name for it cos it aint trance at all, no way.... but i would say that despite what I'm typing don't think I am stuck in some past thing when trance was at a peak... time do move on yes, but to have 'trance' (the word/the name) in the title surely it has to have some 'trance' in it!? - trance as it is now imo has done more to turn people OFF dancemusic than anything else - it has become the whipping-boy for people who hate dance and let's face it, if that style represents our flag then fuck me it's a piss-poor showing and people can take the piss cos as music it is so retardley simplistic and without any soul it deserves the piss to be taken,,, it's become your worst nightmare as to what sequencers and synths would bring... robotic soul-less childishly simple musical garbage with as much depth as a newspaper & which 'musicaly' sounds about on the level of musical-box's or music-playing toys.... it's a triumph of production/tools over content!

anyways blah blah rabbit.... it seems anyways that there is a good healthy market for the resurgence of 3rd party sound creators again then...

Message 23/30             11-Sep-01  @  10:27 PM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

k

anyways, i'm just rambling - it doesnt matter a shit what i think, like i said it's just an opinion, i often talk utter bollox  

Message 24/30             12-Sep-01  @  12:31 AM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

Rikard

K, i think ure 100% right in what ure saying. Trance is not trance any more, Psytrance on the other hand is the new name for what use to be trance. Do u think those acts that categorize them self as psychedelic also forgot what trance is all about? Im talking 'bout groups like hux flux, hallucinogen and more. Do u really think that the original trance scene is history? I dont. There still is alot of new music produced in the same vibe as of the old days. Speakin' of the old days, what old school is it u call 'real' trance? when did that genre die?

Message 25/30             12-Sep-01  @  05:01 AM     Edit: 12-Sep-01  |  06:24 PM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

k

it didnt... psy-trance has been around for years before the 'new trance' appeared tho. - i know that reaL TRANCE it is alive & healthy yes.

Message 26/30             13-Sep-01  @  03:26 AM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

k

thought you might find this old solar quest tape interesting as we're talking about trance - old but gold.

Message 27/30             15-Sep-01  @  10:47 AM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

blacktrax

Produced with Rebirth ? ;-))

Message 28/30             16-Sep-01  @  04:57 AM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

panama

File?:  [image]

[image file]

well said kilo! I couldn't say it any better...

IMO, A lot of that euro trance is dull, but it has a
strong point: it earns money, it covers the
masses with utter souless shit, and it sells
itslef to itself. Its Like a virus that keeps on
going and doesn't die. All it needs, is a cure,
and then its gone... I'll say, out of the masses
of this piccolo/piano sound, there have been
some really good songs. For starters, Des
Mitchell's music. He made some really good
'trance' music... his patterns evolved, he
wasn't afraid to combine minor notes, the
music was like a art... it existed from start to
end... It could actually bring a trance apon. It
had high points, and it had low points... BUT,
as you go beyond his music (Des Mitchell),
you begin to hear the present sound of the
year 001. His music was sooo perfect, people
began to replicate it collectively. MP3.com is
the perfect example of this! Its all over the
board, and I'll tell you, from all this replication,
there is no room for pioneering... thus this
damn virus begins, shitty sameness, no
difference, and it all becomes lame... BUT, I'll
have to say, some of the melodies are quite
good, and there is alot of music making talent
behind the sound. But the approach has to be
different for some sort of origianlty to take
place. There is nothing like saying: "I know
who did this tune!" Lets pick up this album! I
want that single, IT stands out from all the
other music!

With electronic music, its all about the
approach and how you interpet the reality of
your present state... actually most music is
like this... thats why emotion is carried
through... Leave it to Mozart to stay leveled and
still bring emotion.

Anyway, System85, I'm not directly bashing
your music. I'm telling you that your approach
is too much like every other present
euro-trance producer... You see things the
same way as everyone else does... This is
good for a stage and $$$ moment product.
But, this type of life cant exist for a long time
with sameness and no diversity.

I'm no elitist, I have no singles, I don't even
have a album nor a record... I can't even
equate and create enough music to describe
they way I feel... But, I've been doing the same
thing since I was 13 years old (19 now)... I've
dug enough information to build a definite
philosophy in music. And this idea, of
sameness, and difference is everywhere!

I guess it all sheds light into wether your
determined enough to take risks. As I can see
Mr. 85, you are determined to take risks... First.
you bought a $ 1000 USD synthesizer, and ya
prolly got a bunch of gear that costed over 3
grand! All ya need now is to push the risk even
further.

Message 29/30             17-Sep-01  @  05:19 PM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

k

yes ok, but i dont have such negative feeling towards that genre when an occaisional good track comes along, which i have heard ... besides some people like it.. personaly if i decided i needed the money i could have a go at that like many experienced tech's could cos we would know how to reproduce that style - so sure you could do it for a money spinner why not... i'm quite tempted myself   heh heh - i mean after all if you could dedicate two weeks per month to that and still make the same money as fill-in work then why not...

in fact - why dont we have a 'euro trance' contest and we all have to make a track in that style like system85's - what do you think - could be a laugh  

Message 30/30             17-Sep-01  @  06:56 PM   -   RE: New soundset for the NOVA ????

Stefan

while we're discussing about trance: I saw system85's nova in an auction...

I only mention this because for some people it seems to be important that there is a big choice of ready made sounds available.

Viewing all 30 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 30 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)